• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Adding Pekka Rinne Would Infuse Rangers with Needed Leadership

But that’s not all. Because it is my belief general manager Chris Drury and the Blueshirts should target the impending free agent Rinne to fill the role as backup goaltender to Igor Shesterkin next season if he is on the market. Yes, of course, that would entail dealing Alexandar Georgiev, but that is a move that would serve the best interests of both parties.

The Rangers need an infusion of leadership in all corners of the room. The next coach can bring only so much of it. They also need to stabilize their goaltending situation after a season in which both Shesterkin and Georgiev were attempting to establish themselves in the NHL.

If Rinne — whose Predators will face the Hurricanes the first round of the playoffs following a late-season surge — chooses to continue his NHL career elsewhere, he would check all of the boxes. As Nashville transitioned to 26-year-old Juuse Saros as No. 1, following 12 years with Rinne as the standard-bearer, the elder Finn was wholly supportive of his younger mate. Plus, Rinne provided strong goaltending, winning three straight to help kick-start his team’s charge.

This is a subject that isn’t discussed a lot. Not the leadership void, the lack of a potential backup. I understand Georgiev may still be around. But if they can figure out a way to offload Georgiev, who might be better off elsewhere moving forward with more playing time, signing a veteran can be key. I think Igor can use the assistance of a veteran in his ear who can help him out as far as preparation goes for big games, and can also lend a hand with some playing time to the tune of maybe 25 or so games.

Originally, I had my eyes on Jaroslav Halak, who I believe is a UFA and fits the role perfectly too. He has been a backup, he’s been a starter, he’s comfortable in any environment in any role and has plenty of experience. But if Rinne were willing to slip into the mentor role, he can add some leadership to the room and can also give us a bit more consistency out of the backup goaltender. I think it would be good for Shesterkin.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/15/adding-pekka-rinne-would-infuse-rangers-with-needed-leader/

Go with kinkaid as backup for next season, they have a bunch of Gs in the system.

You don’t want a goalie ina leadership position because most are so removed from the team during game prep and in game. It’s irrelevant for the team needs

Weird idea. I don't go for it. What does 38 year old Rinne bring that 39 year old Hank wouldn't (I know, a healthy heart)? Anyway, I think Halak could be had for what they are paying Georgiev and would be a more reliable guy to step in.

Go with Hank. He signed for less than Georgiev is making and I think would be willing to be a backup after the year he just went through.

Unless, he has too much pull in the room. Not sure that kind of person fits with a new coach coming in.

I always liked Halak, but if Kinkaid doesn't go in the expansion draft or in trade, I think he's your backup.

There's a lot of goaltending available in free agency this year, so it's not like there's a must get as backup. Crap, I loved Raanta he's available too.

But as far as leadership goes? I don't think the backup goalie really pulls the room together or on ice.

Go with Hank. He signed for less than Georgiev is making and I think would be willing to be a backup after the year he just went through.

Unless, he has too much pull in the room. Not sure that kind of person fits with a new coach coming in.

I always liked Halak, but if Kinkaid doesn't go in the expansion draft or in trade, I think he's your backup.

There's a lot of goaltending available in free agency this year, so it's not like there's a must get as backup. Crap, I loved Raanta he's available too.

But as far as leadership goes? I don't think the backup goalie really pulls the room together or on ice.

This is a really good point. It could very well be he has too much pull and may actually stunt others from growing into a leadership role with the team, which is what we really need for the long term. At the same time, I think his mentality would be different as a backup rather than the alpha male superstar starting goalie.

It'd be a great story, but I'm 50/50 on it. Just imagine Shesterkin getting hurt in the playoffs and here comes Hank with a loaded team in front of him to win the Cup...it'd be the ultimate dream (sorry Shesty - you'd get your turn).

This is a really good point. It could very well be he has too much pull and may actually stunt others from growing into a leadership role with the team, which is what we really need for the long term. At the same time, I think his mentality would be different as a backup rather than the alpha male superstar starting goalie.

It'd be a great story, but I'm 50/50 on it. Just imagine Shesterkin getting hurt in the playoffs and here comes Hank with a loaded team in front of him to win the Cup...it'd be the ultimate dream (sorry Shesty - you'd get your turn).

The IRL version of story would be Rangers squeak into playoffs to face a loaded/Presidents Trophy type team. They have no legitimate shot to win the series, but Shesterkin comes up lame with some type of mysterious injury and Hank comes on after starting 2 of the last 25 games... Only to lose to a better team. Fans blame Hank.

Sorta like last season. [emoji23]

The IRL version of story would be Rangers squeak into playoffs to face a loaded/Presidents Trophy type team. They have no legitimate shot to win the series, but Shesterkin comes up lame with some type of mysterious injury and Hank comes on after starting 2 of the last 25 games... Only to lose to a better team. Fans blame Hank.

Sorta like last season. [emoji23]

I don't care if you're right. I'll take a double order of my ultimate dream. I'm not letting you ruin my Sunday

This is such a bizarre take. Like...yeah, sure, Georgiev is probably trade bait. Fine. If we're talking about bringing in a Scandinavian goalie who remembers when Odin walked the earth for leadership, just bring Hank back. Don't get in the bidding wars on Halak or Ullmark or Raanta or whomever.