• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If there's switch hitters in baseball, why are there no switch shooters in hockey?

BrooksBurner

Why not? When I started playing I found it natural to stick handle righty but couldn't shoot right. Left shot felt much more natural. But I batted right and couldn't even swing left. So I forced my self to learn to stickhandle left. Still can't bat left but have a pretty good slapper lefty. Prob why I'm typing and not playing in the NHL or MLB.... :-)

Similar to baseball, it seems like you could have scenarios where advantageous matchups could be found if you switch shooting sides. Keep righty and lefty sticks on the bench. Switch mid game, or maybe switch on PPs, etc. Why haven't we seen this?
Gordie Howe.

baseball is one swing while everyone is standing.

Hockey, much too fluid.

Pull swing, contact swing, opposite field swing, the motion changes from low to high in strike zone. Not to mention a complete reversal of appropriating weight on different legs when stepping into the ball. All while trying to hit a baseball traveling 90-100+ MPH. I don't think it's as simple as you made it sound lol

Re-asked: Why haven't we seen more of this?

Blade curves make it almost impossible now. Howe played with a flat blade which makes it a possibility. Trying to take a normal shot with the back of your curve just wouldn't work well.

There's really just no point to it from a practical or strategic standpoint in hockey like in baseball. It makes sense in baseball because of the various handednesses and pitch repertoires of pitchers which influence where a ball will go against a certain handed batter. There's no reason for it in hockey with the exception of potentially opening you up for a one-timer.

I actually think a defenseman who could play either side with either handedness would be somewhat useful. Coaches always complain about defensemen playing on their off hand, so if that was never an issue it would be valuable.

Apparently Nick Foligno does change which hand he's holding his stick with on the PK depending on the positioning of the PP. That's pretty unique.

I actually think a defenseman who could play either side with either handedness would be somewhat useful. Coaches always complain about defensemen playing on their off hand, so if that was never an issue it would be valuable.

Apparently Nick Foligno does change which hand he's holding his stick with on the PK depending on the positioning of the PP. That's pretty unique.

That’s pretty cool. footage?

No switch hitter in hockey but a mess in terms of strong hand in sports:

ME.....not "great any sport" but here it goes:

Hockey: left handed stick holder

Baseball: Hit as a switch hitter, glove hand is left hand

Golf: Fairly lousy either hand, but I prefer to putt left handed and a drive a ball either right or left (my clubs are right handed)

Basketball: Shoot with my right hand

No switch hitter in hockey but a mess in terms of strong hand in sports:

ME.....not "great any sport" but here it goes:

Hockey: left handed stick holder

Baseball: Hit as a switch hitter, glove hand is left hand

Golf: Fairly lousy either hand, but I prefer to putt left handed and a drive a ball either right or left (my clubs are right handed)

Basketball: Shoot with my right hand

You deserve a dented driveway for this nonsense. ;)
  • Like 1