• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck Around & Find Out!

Phil

Let's get a British guy! Yotes are allowing Liam Kirk to negotiate with other teams and work out a trade since he won't be coming to play for them. Another Fox/Hayes type situation. Just put up 7 goals and 9 points in 7 games at Worlds.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-coyotes-have-given-liam-kirk-permission-to-speak-to-other-teams/

Yes! I 2nd this! He scored some nice goals at the Worlds to be fair. What impressed me is we only have one player to focus your attention on, Kirk, and and he still put up great numbers. Reminded me of Zuccarello at the Olympics way back. A slow burner for sure and likely needs time in a Euro league like the SHL or DEL. As people say, ideally nothing more that a 7th or trading an irrelevant prospect.

But if people saw the state of hockey in the UK they would realize how impressive this kids achievements have been to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes! I 2nd this! He scored some nice goals at the Worlds to be fair. What impressed me is we only have one player to focus your attention on, Kirk, and and he still put up great numbers. Reminded me of Zuccarello at the Olympics way back. A slow burner for sure and likely needs time in a Euro league like the SHL or DEL. As people say, ideally nothing more that a 7th or trading an irrelevant prospect.

But if people saw the state of hockey in the UK they would realize how impressive this kids achievements have been to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The fact that he’s come as far as he has developing solely in the UK is a feat. It just may limit his ceiling and slow his growth. Especially given he lost a whole year of important North American experience.

I think Chytil can thrive under Gallant. I just don't expect it, because Chytil is Chytil.

Writ large, one of the most important things Gallant and his staff should focus on is helping Chytil, Kakko, Zibanejad, Barron, and ESPECIALLY Kreider and Gauthier (if he survives the expansion draft) use their size to their advantage. You can't be 6'2+, 205+ and be just a perimeter player. All of these players - Barron less than others - are exceptionally talented, and that's a piece of the game that would bring all of them a level up.

I don't really see Chytil as a perimeter player though. He's always finding his way to the front and side of the net when he doesn't have the puck. He HAS started to handle the puck less and also seemed to drive it to the net less when he has the puck. I don't know if that was a Quinn thing though. He STARTED the season playing less scared of contact than he did when he finished.

I think his style and ability melds best as the RW across from Panarin. That down low presence around the net looking for a pass a tap in or a rebound, while not exactly being a presence in front and screening the goalie. More opportunistic if that makes any sense.

I remember Zibanejad, when drafted, his player comparison was Bobby Holik. He had some physicality to his game in the NHL, nothing wild at all though. That being said, his concussions have definitely scared him off of any physical play and it’s very obvious in watching him play. And believe me, that’s fine if he’s healthy and scoring 50 goals. We can find the toughness elsewhere.

I remember Zibanejad, when drafted, his player comparison was Bobby Holik. He had some physicality to his game in the NHL, nothing wild at all though. That being said, his concussions have definitely scared him off of any physical play and it’s very obvious in watching him play. And believe me, that’s fine if he’s healthy and scoring 50 goals. We can find the toughness elsewhere.

It's not a single player issue. He just happens to have Strome & Chytil behind him.

Same on the wings. Sure Panarin's a high skill player, Lafreniere, too.

And then Kakko is young, and so is Kravtsov

That leaves you with Kreider - who does add a physical presence, when he plays, and Buchnevich, who finally developed some bite, but he's still not a physical player.

Zibanejad was pegged as a power forward a-la Erik Cole when he was drafted. He also had concerns about being "too tough" and having to control his temper.

Feels hilarious reading that now, lol.

Zibanejad was pegged as a power forward a-la Erik Cole when he was drafted. He also had concerns about being "too tough" and having to control his temper.

Wow. That's so far off, unless the concussions have really taken its toll on his willingness to play that way.

Both my kids are going off to college this summer! It's been 20 years since I could run around the house naked and do the helicopter!

It’s your house… I don’t see what was stopping you.

I fully intend on being like the dad from the Goldberg’s. Walk into the house and immediately take my pants off. Company or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.silversevensens.com/2011/6/24/2242848/senators-select-mika-zibanejad-6th-overall

The bottom line here is that Ottawa just drafted a player whose most common comparison is Ryan Kesler.

If only he still had that aspect of his game.

If only. I mean, can we really be upset with his growth though? It'd be nice if he had a bit of that nasty left in him, but I'll take the trigger happy all-situations 1c version of Mika we've got over "something goes away there, but he's nastier".

Maybe he's like a hockey Incredible Hulk, where if he can learn to introduce that which he appears to have lost strategically, he can balance it all out?

This is why player comparisons at 18 years old are so ridiculous. I know the pundits have to say something, but Owen Power's comp is Hedman.... like c'mon. Power's not good enough to even be in the NHL next season and you're comparing him to the best Dman in the game?

If only. I mean, can we really be upset with his growth though? It'd be nice if he had a bit of that nasty left in him, but I'll take the trigger happy all-situations 1c version of Mika we've got over "something goes away there, but he's nastier".

Maybe he's like a hockey Incredible Hulk, where if he can learn to introduce that which he appears to have lost strategically, he can balance it all out?

No, not upset at all. He still needs to be more feisty on defense than last season. Whether it was COVID or concussions, or coach's game plan - he needs to be tougher to play against.

If he goes back to 40+gs and 1.32 points per game, I really don't give shit about any thing else, lol.

No, not upset at all. He still needs to be more feisty on defense than last season. Whether it was COVID or concussions, or coach's game plan - he needs to be tougher to play against.

If he goes back to 40+gs and 1.32 points per game, I really don't give shit about any thing else, lol.

Yeah, he can do whatever if he plays at that rate again. I don't care if he colors his hair Rangers colors and spends two minutes per game on the bench riling up the crowd by standing on the rail and crotch-chopping like Shawn Michaels if he's putting up those numbers again.

Yeah, he can do whatever if he plays at that rate again. I don't care if he colors his hair Rangers colors and spends two minutes per game on the bench riling up the crowd by standing on the rail and crotch-chopping like Shawn Michaels if he's putting up those numbers again.

Easy there big fella!!! That's my job!! :rofl:

I'm gonna bet Mika has one of those banner years next year, G Man.

A) It's a contract year

B) He's coming off a shitty season, in my opinion. So the "Bounce-Back" effect is in play

C) New Coach...Player's type coach....

....full win in session for Mika incoming!!

Easy there big fella!!! That's my job!! :rofl:

I'm gonna bet Mika has one of those banner years next year, G Man.

A) It's a contract year

B) He's coming off a shitty season, in my opinion. So the "Bounce-Back" effect is in play

C) New Coach...Player's type coach....

....full win in session for Mika incoming!!

Big amen to that! I'm waiting til FA commences, but you'd better bet my 2021-22 Ballsy Prediction is all about Mika.

I also just do not see a world where Mika goes into the season without an extension. That can't happen.

It’s give and take. He was portrayed to be a meaner, heavier guy to play against and not as advertised as an elite scorer. Yet he has turned into just that.

If he plays anywhere close to a full season next season, he is capable of and likely will challenge Jagrs single season record for goals by a Ranger.

Big amen to that! I'm waiting til FA commences, but you'd better bet my 2021-22 Ballsy Prediction is all about Mika.

I also just do not see a world where Mika goes into the season without an extension. That can't happen.

100% agreed. I also think it's in both sides interests to do so.

This is a good opportunity for Zibanejad to set a trend around here with respect to taking a little bit less than he might get on the open market. He will still be a very rich man (not that he isn't very rich already).

Hopefully its closer to what Bergeron signed.

If guys dont want to buy-in to the system, and just want a check - cya.

I'm hoping Drury (who came to NY for a pay day) understands that

Right on man!!

We would be smart to extend him now, and take advantage of the shitty season he had last year. I read you loud and clear, G!!! :thumbs: