• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New Regime Won't Change Status of Tony DeAngelo

Phil

A reliable source reports that the change in administrations will have no effect on Tony DeAngelo’s status.

DeAngelo has existed in a shadow purgatory, officially on the Blueshirts’ taxi squad, but skating on his own at rinks close to his home since being waived through the league on Feb. 1 in the aftermath of his post-game imbroglio with Alexandar Georgiev two nights earlier. It was made clear by president John Davidson and general manager Jeff Gorton, who held those offices at the time, that the 25-year-old defenseman had played his last game as a Ranger.

That was an organizational decision that became organization policy. Chris Drury, who assumed the dual role of president-GM on Wednesday, is not about to overturn it.

DeAngelo has one year remaining on his contract at a $4.5 million cap hit. That has not been accounted for in any 2021-22 projection. Beyond that, if the Rangers do bring him back, a year from now they would be obligated to give DeAngelo a qualifying offer for no less than that $4.5 million for the following season or cut him loose as a free agent.

On the other hand, a buyout (assuming No. 77 is not selected by Seattle in the expansion draft) would cost the Rangers $383,333 against the cap for next season and $833,33 for 2022-23.

Plus, the Rangers have Nils Lundkvist and Braden Schneider on the way to fill the right side of the defensive depth chart.

So, there will be no reprieve for DeAngelo, who will presumably be on the open market in late July.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/07/chris-drury-not-changing-tony-deangelos-rangers-status/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There was never any room for him long term. He built a bunch of value up, quickly, and instead dealing him then, they gambled further, and ended up handing him about 6 million dollars of Jim Dolans money and got nothing but a giant embarrassment for it.

That's how you lose your job.

There was never any room for him long term. He built a bunch of value up, quickly, and instead dealing him then, they gambled further, and ended up handing him about 6 million dollars of Jim Dolans money and got nothing but a giant embarrassment for it.

That's how you lose your job.

Pretty much.

I mean, the article SAYS he's not about to overturn it.. Doesn't mean he said that.

If the Rangers need to trade some of these young D men prospects, to acquire their obvious needs, they may think twice about saying never.. Nevermind the fact that it's not a definite that Lundkvist signs a contract. You'd think it would be done by now.. Now with a different GM, and the owner wanting a shift in results, maybe he doesn't want any part of NY.. I think this is a situation that needs to be followed closely

I'm talking about Lundkvist and the lack of a contract as the situation that needs to be followed closely. Time is running out.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but no one has said or reported that he is refusing to sign as far as I’ve seen. The plan was to get him for the playoffs which would be roughly now - the next month. I fully expect him to come over.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but no one has said or reported that he is refusing to sign as far as I’ve seen. The plan was to get him for the playoffs which would be roughly now - the next month. I fully expect him to come over.

His SHL team was eliminated from the playoffs April 22nd. You'd think with all of the injuries, they would atleast get him here to gauge him. They couldn't wait to get Jones here. Maybe he didn't want to come? Hold out? It has to be a sort of roadblock with management needing to trade one of these young Dmen in any deal they do to improve this summer.

I did think time was of the essence, but they DO have until 2022.

"The Rangers need to sign Lundkvist to an Entry Level Contract by June 1, 2022 or he becomes a free agent. The fear, most often brought up by Larry Brooks in the New York Post, was that with Jacob Trouba, Adam Fox and DeAngelo on the right side of the Rangers defense corps for the foreseeable future, there was no incentive for Lundkvist to sign".

https://bluelinestation.com/2021/02/22/new-york-rangers-nils-lundkvist-season/amp/

You'd still think it was something they kinda want to get done though.

His SHL team was eliminated from the playoffs April 22nd. You'd think with all of the injuries, they would atleast get him here to gauge him. They couldn't wait to get Jones here. Maybe he didn't want to come? Hold out? It has to be a sort of roadblock with management needing to trade one of these young Dmen in any deal they do to improve this summer.

I did think time was of the essence, but they DO have until 2022.

"The Rangers need to sign Lundkvist to an Entry Level Contract by June 1, 2022 or he becomes a free agent. The fear, most often brought up by Larry Brooks in the New York Post, was that with Jacob Trouba, Adam Fox and DeAngelo on the right side of the Rangers defense corps for the foreseeable future, there was no incentive for Lundkvist to sign".

https://bluelinestation.com/2021/02/22/new-york-rangers-nils-lundkvist-season/amp/

You'd still think it was something they kinda want to get done though.

He has a commitment to his national team before he can sign with the Rangers. The Rangers couldn’t sign him because of that. They can sign him once the international tournaments conclude. Simple as that.

He has a commitment to his national team before he can sign with the Rangers. The Rangers couldn’t sign him because of that. They can sign him once the international tournaments conclude. Simple as that.

As I said. His SHL team finished their playoffs April 22nd. Commitment fulfilled.

Yea this. I believe either brooks or carp even mentioned it one of their articles fairy recently

As I said, his NATIONAL team commitment is what prevents him. His SHL team is not part of his National team commitment. He has a commitment to team Sweden in international play.

Gotcha. I thought it was more a contractual thing with his SHL team. Makes more sense as to why he wasn't here. Why come here in a losing situation, when he can play for a national team. I don't think he's contractually obligated to stay there for some national tournament though.

I'm only going by the SHL thing because of this article I read, where it only said his SHL contract is the only thing keeping him from coming here. Sorry I am apparently misinformed by this article.

"Do not expect Nils Lundkvist to sign an ELC with the Rangers this season - Forever Blueshirts: A site for New York Rangers fanatics" https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/do-not-expect-nils-lundkvist-to-sign-an-elc-with-the-rangers-this-season/amp/