• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Had a Significant Trade Deadline Deal for a "Legit Player" Fall Through?

Since the story I published earlier, I have heard from a conflicting source about whether Dolan was angry at Gorton for not making a deadline trade. Indeed, I was told, Gorton came pretty close to making a significant hockey deal, for a legit player, not a rental, but a team backed out. I have also been told that Sather, though front and center Thursday (and involved throughout Wednesday’s crazy day), is not getting back into any kind of major role. Nor does he, at age 77, want to. As an advisor to Drury, he can be valuable. If he wants to run the Rangers from behind the scenes, that’s dangerous, in my opinion. But apparently he doesn’t want to do that.

How's that for a raised eyebrow situation?

https://theathletic.com/2573039/2021/05/07/final-thoughts-on-a-wild-rangers-week-glen-sathers-role-pavel-buchnevichs-suspension-jeff-gortons-legacy-more/

Can we talk about a team backing out of a legit trade at the deadline? Who what why?

Hell, at this point, Sather's basically Grima Wormtongue to Drury's Theoden, but has been an advisor for a while. I don't get why he's front and center either, but at this point, he's either going to retire to Skywalker Ranch or start selling 8 piece meals, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Can we talk about a team backing out of a legit trade at the deadline? Who what why?

Let's assume the only teams who were considered "out of it" by the time of the deadline were CBJ, LAK, DET, VAN, NJD, ANA, OTT, and BUF. We can obviously take out NJD.

Of those teams and looking at what they might have to offer, I gotta think the teams of interest might be VAN, ANA, BUF, and OTT. I guess DET could have since they traded Mantha, but there was no indication there was any other noise re: Mantha than WSH. I think the obvious answer is Eichel, but an in-season trade for an injured player seems kinda dumb. I wonder if there might have been some noise around Brady Tkachuk or maybe Rakkel?

Mantha makes the most sense.

I'm not thinking it was Mantha. Barring Carp being unable to confirm the name, Mantha was dealt. Usually, when well-connected beat writers like Carp and Brooks get this sort of info, it'd come out as "they were in on Mantha but got one-upped by Washington".

This reads more like "they were in on a guy that ultimately wasn't traded".

Why cant the trade be discussed at the draft or over the summer?

That's probably part of the reason why it's not been disclosed, josh.

Hence, the speculation.

They’re 100% going to be looking at a ton of things this summer.

No doubt of that.

What’s everyone’s feelings though on if they actually need a “major piece” and if so, where at?

I think a top-tier LD is the biggest need that falls into that category.

That and a 2C that’s a real two-way stud.

Could that guy be Zib though?

If they were to get Eichel, which I think is very possible and retained Zib, he could slot into that role very well IMO

Let's assume the only teams who were considered "out of it" by the time of the deadline were CBJ, LAK, DET, VAN, NJD, ANA, OTT, and BUF. We can obviously take out NJD.

Of those teams and looking at what they might have to offer, I gotta think the teams of interest might be VAN, ANA, BUF, and OTT. I guess DET could have since they traded Mantha, but there was no indication there was any other noise re: Mantha than WSH. I think the obvious answer is Eichel, but an in-season trade for an injured player seems kinda dumb. I wonder if there might have been some noise around Brady Tkachuk or maybe Rakkel?

A few players that might make some sense....

Bo Horvat

Max Domi

Tomas Hertl

Sean Monahan

Brady and/or Matt Tkachuk

I'd agree with your "doesn't make sense to trade for an injured player" sense, hence I don't think this was Eichel.

Thing is - hockey deal. Could have easily been a contender involved - Chytil+ for Cirelli sort of thing, or something around a Brayden Schenn-ish player.

That's probably part of the reason why it's not been disclosed, josh.

Hence, the speculation.

but then it wouldnt make sense to bring it up now, unless there is no reason for the trade talks to continue.

A few players that might make some sense....

Bo Horvat

Max Domi

Tomas Hertl

Sean Monahan

Brady and/or Matt Tkachuk

I'd agree with your "doesn't make sense to trade for an injured player" sense, hence I don't think this was Eichel.

Thing is - hockey deal. Could have easily been a contender involved - Chytil+ for Cirelli sort of thing, or something around a Brayden Schenn-ish player.

I think we can stop bringing up the Tkachuks.

If one is traded anytime soon, I'll vote blue across the board at a year of your choosing.

but then it wouldnt make sense to bring it up now, unless there is no reason for the trade talks to continue.

It was brought up in the context of "why Dolan may have moved to fire Gorton" - but it's an interesting piece worth discussing outside of that particular context.

If one is traded anytime soon, I'll vote blue across the board at a year of your choosing.

Agreed.

I think both of the teams they are on right now view them as huge pieces they won’t come off of.

Eh, I think you're right, but Calgary suddenly looks like the 5th best team in the North, let alone their usual division, and I have to imagine Brady would, given the option, leave Ottawa.

I wouldn't hold my breath too hard, but if someone swooped on on Brady with an 8-digit 2021-22 payday, could Ottawa match that?

This off season scares me.

I just know youth will be moved (duh) but I’m worried about how much of it will be moved.

Drury said he wants to continue what gorts was doing but i don’t know..

I’m assuming chytil, gauthier, one or two of Jones-Lundqvist-Miller, howden (ok addition by subtraction) are all gone.

Maybe they’re moving zib?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don't think there's any chance Zib gets dealt. He's been filthy for three years outside of his covid recovery and he is the leader of the team.

I don't know if he's the guy that they went for at the deadline, but I'm almost positive that Jordan Greenway is the guy they will go all out for this offseason. I think they'll sell the farm for him. He's pretty much everything they are looking and young with upside. I could see Max Domi being a target as well.

Also if we were going to target any center to replace Strome or add to Strome and Zib, it should clearly be Hertl. Still young enough, has size, is left handed, and most importantly is very good on face-offs. He has one year left on his deal on a bad Sharks team. He should be attainable.

I would like to get Hertl, considering what happened with Wilson, but how much would SJ like to get in return for him?