• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dolan: Chris Drury 'The Right Guy' to Lead Rangers Culture Change

Scott

Echos a lot of what was said here by many. Those no-show games clearly carried a ton of weight.

“I saw a weakness in the team that was not being addressed and I knew it needed to be,” Dolan told The Post during a telephone interview on Thursday in explaining why he dismissed president John Davidson and general manager Jeff Gorton. “I knew that we were missing a key component to us being a Stanley Cup contender.

“And that is the overall spirit and culture that goes with being a team. I believe that as good of a job as JD and Jeff have done, in speaking with them, it is clear to me that Chris Drury was going to be the right guy to lead the team forward.”

The CEO did not want to engage in hypotheticals about what the ousted regime might have done this upcoming offseason with a heap of available salary-cap space. Instead, this was his take:

“What I’m talking about is not just something that happens in the locker room,” Dolan said. “It’s an entire organization that has to be together as a team. It’s everybody from the president, the general manager, the coach, the players, the assistant coaches, the trainers. … Everybody has to be together as a team, because everyone makes a contribution.

“Our organization doesn’t have that.”

What it does have, in Dolan’s opinion, is talent. Enough talent to … well, let him tell it.

“Honestly, we have enough talent now to compete for a Stanley Cup,” he said. “I’m sure we can always do better and add more, and I will tell you that both JD and Jeff did a good job of putting talent into this organization, and we also got lucky along the way too [with lottery victories the last two years].

“But other owners, other general managers have been telling me for a year that they can’t believe how stocked we are with talent, but talent alone doesn’t do it. We’re missing this piece and we need it. And when I looked at our organization, I felt that we need to change the whole organization and change the culture.

Conspiracy theorists concluded that Davidson and Gorton had been fired Wednesday because of their opposition to the statement issued Tuesday night by Dolan under the team’s banner that decried the NHL’s failure to suspend Tom Wilson and called for George Parros’ dismissal as head of the department of player safety.

Why not wait? It turns out there was a pretty good reason for Dolan acting when he did.

“Exit meetings [with the players] are the cornerstone of the entire summer, and it was critical to have Chris in place for those,” said Dolan of the meetings that probably would be scheduled for Sunday or Monday. “The Wilson thing, it is an unfortunate coincidence and it actually gave me a moment of pause, but I had to give this the best chance of being successful.

This was not a spur-of-the-moment decision. This was not an emotional reaction to the late slide out of playoff contention. This was months in the making.

“I started thinking about it 20 or 25 games ago at a time when the team really needed to show heart and we had key games — I won’t be specific — where we had to show up and had to come out strong, and even if we lost, it had to be our best effort,” Dolan said. “And we clearly had nowhere close to our best effort.”

There was a stretch through the middle of February through the middle of March when the performance was uneven, inconsistent and wanting. Then there was the April 20, 6-1 humbling at the Coliseum that proved the first of three mismatches against the Islanders.

“That was big,” Dolan said.

There will be a decision concerning the fate of head coach David Quinn, who has two years remaining on his contract. Drury, remember, was instrumental in the search and hiring process of the former BU coach.

“It’s totally Chris’ call,” Dolan said. “I think Chris has some pretty unique insight into it.”

So the Rangers forge ahead. Unspoken or not, Drury has the mandate to bring the Rangers to the next level, sooner than later. Following Wednesday, there is unease in Rangerstown that Dolan will assume a greater presence in the operation and turn it into someplace like Knicksland.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/james-dolan-chris-drury-the-right-guy-to-lead-the-rangers/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.... not buying this.

While I’ll agree that he has valid points about the team lacking pieces, having holes, not being tough enough, or what have you, I don’t see a poor culture, need for a culture change, or a lack of progress or underachieving.

It’s especially obvious given Drury’s comments about how the playoffs weren’t the expectation this year and Dolan’s comments about the team not showing up for key games.

Seems that’s on the coach.

Not the GM or the President.

Yeah.... not buying this.

While I’ll agree that he has valid points about the team lacking pieces, having holes, not being tough enough, or what have you, I don’t see a poor culture, need for a culture change, or a lack of progress or underachieving.

It’s especially obvious given Drury’s comments about how the playoffs weren’t the expectation this year and Dolan’s comments about the team not showing up for key games.

Seems that’s on the coach.

Not the GM or the President.

Well, yes and no. It’s on the coach but that can be addressed in the offseason. Technically so could this move have, but it’s easier to replace the GM and President when you already knew the replacement is currently in the organization than it is coach which is a longer process. I also think both JD and Gorton have said playoffs this year is achievable but is not exactly a requirement. With this roster I think that’s criminal to publicly say.

I see what Dolan is talking about concerning effort and weaknesses if the team. But why not just fire Quinn and Gorton? Why fire JD? There’s gotta be more to it than what he’s telling

JD is a bit of a head scratcher for sure but I can see it being due to Jd incorrectly taking a stand with Gorton rather than with the Rangers. I get it. Gorton is a hockey guy and Dolan isn’t. Still though, this team should be in a better place than it is considering how much actual talent there is performing on sn elite level right now and it certainly looked like Gorton and JD felt last years 7 week or so hot streak wasn’t indicative of where they are rather than saying “ok top end we are there, what other pieces can we add now to round out and improve our weaknesses.”

Losing JD almost feels like kicking that beloved grandfather that’s always been good to you and you have so many fond memories of. Doesn’t mean hockey doesn’t go on though. If it’s because he aided with Gorton though then I don’t feel as bad for JD. He’s a hockey guy that should have looked at this a bit more clearly. We are an underachieving team. We are a soft team. We do have a shit ton of current talent and it’s not all untapped potential. Kreids is 29, Panarin is 28, Ziby and Strome are 27, Trouba is 26. Of that 5, 4 of them are “top 6 guys” and that’s a very solid core of guys at ages ready to compete sooner rather than later.

I think Quinn goes bye bye but that’s a longer process if you aren’t going from in house.

I see what Dolan is talking about concerning effort and weaknesses if the team. But why not just fire Quinn and Gorton? Why fire JD? There’s gotta be more to it than what he’s telling

Yup.

You have a problem with toughness on the ice or the team not showing up... fire the coach

But if you don’t like the roster... well maybe let the guys you hired to construct the roster FINISH constructing it.

Which I’ve got to believe they were going to do this summer.

They’ve brought in the skill guys they need.

The cap space was going to be there come July.

Gorton and JD know what the holes are.

Let them finish.

Got to be more to it than his story.

• Like 1

Well, yes and no. It’s on the coach but that can be addressed in the offseason. Technically so could this move have, but it’s easier to replace the GM and President when you already knew the replacement is currently in the organization than it is coach which is a longer process. I also think both JD and Gorton have said playoffs this year is achievable but is not exactly a requirement. With this roster I think that’s criminal to publicly say.

JD is a bit of a head scratcher for sure but I can see it being due to Jd incorrectly taking a stand with Gorton rather than with the Rangers. I get it. Gorton is a hockey guy and Dolan isn’t. Still though, this team should be in a better place than it is considering how much actual talent there is performing on sn elite level right now and it certainly looked like Gorton and JD felt last years 7 week or so hot streak wasn’t indicative of where they are rather than saying “ok top end we are there, what other pieces can we add now to round out and improve our weaknesses.”

Losing JD almost feels like kicking that beloved grandfather that’s always been good to you and you have so many fond memories of. Doesn’t mean hockey doesn’t go on though. If it’s because he aided with Gorton though then I don’t feel as bad for JD. He’s a hockey guy that should have looked at this a bit more clearly. We are an underachieving team. We are a soft team. We do have a shit ton of current talent and it’s not all untapped potential. Kreids is 29, Panarin is 28, Ziby and Strome are 27, Trouba is 26. Of that 5, 4 of them are “top 6 guys” and that’s a very solid core of guys at ages ready to compete sooner rather than later.

I think Quinn goes bye bye but that’s a longer process if you aren’t going from in house.

Don’t agree that they should’ve been in a better place or that they underachieved. Given the roster holes, youngest team in league, lack of cap space to improve until summer, the division they’re in and all the COVID nonsense... I gotta say, they looked like a bubble team to me.

And that’s exactly what they were.

Don’t agree that they should’ve been in a better place or that they underachieved. Given the roster holes, youngest team in league, lack of cap space to improve until summer, the division they’re in and all the COVID nonsense... I gotta say, they looked like a bubble team to me.

And that’s exactly what they were.

Not addressing holes in their lineup and no cap space are directly due to Gorton. Cant use things like that as excuses as to why it’s okay when it’s largely due to poor salary evaluation and roster management of the guy himself.

Covid. We really have to stop using that as a sole excuse for the Rangers when it’s affected a lot of teams in this league. Our division is our division. Those are just excuses. Everyone in the division plays in it. Sabres just beat the Islanders two straight games and we can’t touch the Islanders. Cant just ignore that stuff.

• Like 1

for all you guys that think there's more to it, like what?

I don't necessarily agree with JD going but if he fell on his sword because Dolan wanted Gorton out I get it. I don't think Quinn should survive but we don't even know the outcome of that yet. Gorton has had a lot of good things fall in his lap, he's made a couple of good deals and a couple of bad ones as well.

What I don't know is why everybody thinks Drury is a slam dunk to be the answer. Maybe because until you show me potential doesn't mean crap. I don't care about being the youngest team in the league, the youngest team in the league isn't going to win shit. If he figures out how to move some of those pieces for parts that we desperately need that will mean a helluva lot more than us being able to carry the hey we're the youngest team in the league banner and playing like a bunch of nuns on the ice. There were just too many games when they didn't show up from top to bottom.

Not addressing holes in their lineup and no cap space are directly due to Gorton. Cant use things like that as excuses as to why it’s okay when it’s largely due to poor salary evaluation and roster management of the guy himself.

Covid. We really have to stop using that as a sole excuse for the Rangers when it’s affected a lot of teams in this league. Our division is our division. Those are just excuses. Everyone in the division plays in it. Sabres just beat the Islanders two straight games and we can’t touch the Islanders. Cant just ignore that stuff.

Speaking of division, next year we're swapping Boston and Buffalo for Carolina and Columbus. I'd rather have Boston and Buffalo, thanks.

If anything I think this weird COVID season exposed the Rangers weaknesses a lot better than in an ordinary season where they probably would've made the playoffs. So a lot of deficiencies which may have gone unaddressed, at least they're trying to take some action to deal with sooner than later now. Not to say that JD/Gorton wouldn't have, but maybe Drury being in this new role will be more motivated to change direction, whereas JD/Gorton may have tended to stick to 'their plan'.

Yeah... fair.

But I think you know that that stuff was at or near the top of the list this summer.

And he did inherit some of the contracts which were issues... so not entirely on him

Looking back at his tenure, there were some great moves, some lucky moves and some flat out bad moves. But overall, he was largely an average GM. And the Rangers have largely been an average team under him.

Dolan being as impatient as he is simply had enough of being average and decided to make a change. Can't blame him for that. Whether Drury's the right man for the job, that remains to be seen. But I'm of the opinion that he's put in the legwork and deserves that shot and let's see what he does with it before judging his capabilities before he's even had a chance to make a mark on the team.

• Like 1

Yeah... fair.

But I think you know that that stuff was at or near the top of the list this summer.

And he did inherit some of the contracts which were issues... so not entirely on him

Probably, but I think it should have been addressed this past offseason. I know a bunch of us were saying it, there were articles about addressing the 4th line, etc.

Probably, but I think it should have been addressed this past offseason. I know a bunch of us were saying it, there were articles about addressing the 4th line, etc.

But what was out there to get bigger/tougher this past offseason? They tried to get Martin and wanted to stay an Islander. They tried to get Chara for leadership/toughness on the blue line and he went to Washington. What else was out there for Gorton/JD?

But what was out there to get bigger/tougher this past offseason? They tried to get Martin and wanted to stay an Islander. They tried to get Chara for leadership/toughness on the blue line and he went to Washington. What else was out there for Gorton/JD?

I mean Jared tinordi passed through waivers and landed in Boston. We had bitteto and jack johnson taking up space on our roster contributing to what need other than someone with a pulse. Tinordi isn’t anything special but before even bothering to look at whom was available there is that. Sam Bennett was available via trade and could have been acquired. To say there is no one else they could have got is a ridiculous argument. It was a conscious decision not to address their weakness. They might have thought they could wait another year. As “hockey people” that’s a failure in competence. This past two weeks has exposed that weakness in the worst way possible.

I couldn’t stand how soft this team has become, really since AV it’s been worse and worse every year. The constant argument is that the league changed. I always thought that was bullshit. This past two weeks put ever into focus. The rangers could not compete with the season on the line against the isles. Not because of talent. Then Wilson put the cherry on top.

I actually think Dolan is making a really smart decision. He’s 100% right. This team hasn’t had an identity in years. They aren’t contending for anything until they fix that.

Fedetenko, Prust, Boyle were bottom 6 guys who helped form the identity. No offense to howden Rooney Blackwell etc but they are just there bringing a pulse.

Yeah that would’ve been nice.

But... wasn’t feasible due to cap constraints and not exactly the best class of available FA’s and a not so active trade market either.

This was the transition year, with the remainder of the changes coming this summer and I think that was the general (and correct) consensus opinion.

Regardless though... culture change?

Can you honestly believe JD or anything associated with JD is poor in its culture?

And for that matter, but on a lower level, Gorton too.

Come on.