• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Could Be the New York Rangers New Head Coach?

WWJD

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you were at MSG in Dolan's office for the last 2 years or you tapped his phone, this is total speculation. May be, but we don't know. We all have an idea what the issues were, but how it got to yesterday's decisions, no concrete idea.

Only thing I can think of is that to sell the rebuild (or retool as they called it I think) they said they would be back in playoff contention in x amount of years... Maybe time ran out + a mix of other things (deangelo, that caps game, etc..)

Dolan has never had an issue with the buyouts otherwise he wouldn’t have authorized the buyouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So you know for a fact in a year the team is bleeding $ he was totally cool paying DeAngelo about $13 million 5 games into a 2 year contract. And he wasn't displeased Lundqvist's coronary situation was known to the Rangers front office (and recall the Rangers have said they knew about it, though not to the extent as became known, which can happen) and that money could have come off the books. Grant you on the latter, hindsight is 20/20.

Dolan could not have been happy to write those checks.

Not discussing DeAngelo's insubordinate stupidity. But as a simple math problem, the owner could not have been happy. And probably asked 1. why did we re-sign him; 2. could this have been handled differently and 3. were there any trade options. And those are all reasonable questions.

• Like 1

Unless you were at MSG in Dolan's office for the last 2 years or you tapped his phone, this is total speculation. May be, but we don't know. We all have an idea what the issues were, but how it got to yesterday's decisions, no concrete idea.

We have people here who put words in players and coaches mouths, and speculate the our coach was scared of their coach last night, but I can't say firing JD was irrational? K.

Approximately 104.6% of this stuff on the board is "speculation"... I do find the "speculation" Pete is offering to be more than plausible based on years of anecdotal evidence of the big guy routinely acting like emotional 13 year old since Daddy gave him MSG to run.

There would be one guiding principle here for Drury, and that is whether he believes Quinn has the right stuff to lead the Rangers to the Stanley Cup. That’s it. If the answer is no, there is no reason to dally. That would be the case even if Arizona’s Rick Tocchet were not looming as a free agent.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/why-rangers-owner-jim-dolan-fired-john-davidson-jeff-gorton/

So you know for a fact in a year the team is bleeding $ he was totally cool paying DeAngelo about $13 million 5 games into a 2 year contract. And he wasn't displeased Lundqvist's coronary situation was known to the Rangers front office (and recall the Rangers have said they knew about it, though not to the extent as became known, which can happen) and that money could have come off the books. Grant you on the latter, hindsight is 20/20.

Dolan could not have been happy to write those checks.

Not discussing DeAngelo's insubordinate stupidity. But as a simple math problem, the owner could not have been happy. And probably asked 1. why did we re-sign him; 2. could this have been handled differently and 3. were there any trade options. And those are all reasonable questions.

The owner could've told Gorton and Quinn to play DeAngelo. But he didn't, did he? Enough with the conspiracy theories.

Drurys still as exciting an interview as he was as a player. This pulse-less guy is gonna work the phones for trades?

"Hey Kev. Chris Drury here.

Yeah, Chris Drury. Rangers.

Um yeah. Um I'm thinking about re-starting our proposals for an Eichel trade.....

Hello? Are you awake?

Hello?

I hate it when that happens.. Ah well. "

I think there will be many candidates that have yet to be brought up.

Guys like:

Todd Reirden

Joe Sacco

Dan Bylsma

Ulf Samuelson

Mark Recchi

Mike Yeo

Tony Granato

These are a mix of guys who've been around and been coaches. Some are just assistants that

I think would make decent coaches.

In looking at whos on benches across the league,

I realized there's a lot of former Rangers as assistants.

Girardi with Buffalo

Labarbera with Flames

Ulf Samuelsson with the Panthers

Ian Lapperiere with Flyers

Manny Malhotra with Toronto

The search must begin now.

Out of the big names I'd look seriously into Bruce Boudreau.

Drurys still as exciting an interview as he was as a player. This pulse-less guy is gonna work the phones for trades?

"Hey Kev. Chris Drury here.

Yeah, Chris Drury. Rangers.

Um yeah. Um I'm thinking about re-starting our proposals for an Eichel trade.....

Hello? Are you awake?

Hello?

I hate it when that happens.. Ah well. "

Yeah, because Gorton was just a waterfall of personality, right?

Yeah, because Gorton was just a waterfall of personality, right?

He'd atleast crack a smile once in a while. Someone killed Drurys puppy when he joined the Rangers. He's been sulking ever since.

I've honestly never seen such a dry empty personality in sports. Maybe Art Howe?

Drury makes a child funeral seem upbeat compared to any conversation he's ever had in his life!

Quinn is staying. Drury was the biggest advocate to his signing in the first place. The Rangers fired their President and GM today, why not the coach? It's not like Knoblauch couldn't have coached these last three games with Drury. I would think Drury on the bench would help with player evaluations

Do not discount the BU connection here if Quinn stays. If so Eichel seriously in play

This would be worse than when the Giants let both Sean Payton and John Fox go while keeping Jim Fassell. The only way this moves makes even a little bit of sense is if Quinn goes too.