• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Could Be the New York Rangers New Head Coach?

WWJD

Named President and GM and it's not his call? FOH.

Given the events of today, I think he's just going to be a puppet President/GM for Dolan. So no I don't think it'll be his call, if Dolan thinks this team is still "underperforming" into next season, wouldn't be surprised if he calls for a coaching change.

As for that tweet, all I read into it is underlining a well known friendship between Quinn and Drury. If you think it's implying he's secure in his job, then I think you're reading too much into it. And I personally doubt Quinn himself is feeling that comfortable about his position.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Quinn turned the Rangers down, Drury, not Gorton, did a full-court press to get him signed. If you think that highlighting how close their relationship is isn't a signal/vote of confidence, I think you're reading right past it.

I'm not saying he's safe, I'm saying I'm less convinced he's not.

Oh I don't disagree that they're close so no I'm not reading past anything, and I'm sure Drury would lobby hard to retain him even if things start rocky next season, I'm just saying I don't think Drury will have that much of a say in whether he stays/goes (as stated in my previous post).

In fact, some of Quinn's other remarks to Walker tonight indicate that he himself wouldn't be too surprised if they were to make a coaching change. I guess time will tell...

Didn't say he was expected to be fired. But you sounded pretty confident he's not purely based on his relationship and talk with Drury. Whereas, like I stated in my previous post, regardless of their obviously close relationship, my personal opinion is that Drury's not going to be in much of a position to decide if he stays/goes.

And I do hope you're right Phil, that Chris gets the independence and authority to drive this ship now that he's been given the responsibility. But after the events of today and reading some of the back stories, I'm just leery of how trigger happy Dolan is going to get next season if he feels we're "underperforming" again.

Dolan probably not a fan of Quinn saying essentially "we were all happy with where we are" I assume he meant in the process. It's exactly the opposite of how Dolan feels and what reportedly cost Gorton and JD their jobs. I wonder if that's going to be an issue going forward where Dolan insists on a change.

Here's his actual quote to clarify.

@SWhyno: #NYR coach David Quinn: "(Jeff Gorton) will certainly land on his feet, that's for sure. He's a hell of a hockey guy and a great person, as is (John Davidson). We all felt good about what we've done up to this point." Says he has good relationship with Chris Drury.

I don’t think Torts is in the cards. He was unceremoniously punted by management/Dolan after a 2nd round loss. Between Dolan not being keen on it and Torts probably not wanting to deal with Dolan again, I can’t see it happening. I think it remains to be seen S to who is net depending on who gets let go after the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

What if Dolan just makes Drury coach too?

Like all three spots, no assistants.

He could do it I think.

As I saw the other day, why even bother with coaches at all? Just do some video after games. Practice? Who cares!

I guess a grittier roster fits Quinn’s style better, so I guess Drury will be making moves over the summer

We’ll see if a roster built in a way aligned by the GM and coach is an improvement, or if Quinn is just a bad coach who can’t maximize his talent and adjust his system to fit the players he has

I guess a grittier roster fits Quinn’s style better, so I guess Drury will be making moves over the summer

We’ll see if a roster built in a way aligned by the GM and coach is an improvement, or if Quinn is just a bad coach who can’t maximize his talent and adjust his system to fit the players he has

There have been too many nights after losses when the top 2 lines held a prettiest pass competition, followed by Quinn talking in the postgame about the need for more north/south, getting shots on net, getting to the net, winning puck battles. No matter who the coach or GM is, that has to be resolved to more of Quinn's stated ideal. Entirely plausible in a less division-heavy schedule the Rangers could eke out a playoff berth next year. And may be Davidson and Gorton said as much to Dolan. But even if this year's schedule was an abberation, not much has changed since the debacle vs. the Canes last summer. They aren't winning anything with the current approach.

Davidson was the voice of the Rangers on TV for 2 decades. He was part of an historic and unexpected Cup run in 1979. And that holds a lot of goodwill with fans. But recall when he left/was fired by both the Blues and Blue Jackets, those teams improved. It also has to be said when the clear issues with roster construction were exposed last summer, they were not addressed.

Gorton on balance was up and down. Fox and Panarin fell in his lap. The Anderson pick and McDonagh trade were debacles. The Nash trade a steal. The jury is out on Kravstov, Laffy and Kakko, but so far so good.

Suspect the bigger problem is how much $ the Rangers are paying out to players who were not on the roster. How is it they didn't have an inkling about Lundqvist's heart issues, which could have given cap relief. Shattenkirk's contract hurts. And while DeAngelo may be jerk, question must have been asked, if he's such a jerk, why did NYR re-sign him? NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management. Dolan cannot be happy with any of that.

"NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management."

Understatement of the century IMO. The free-spending days have long since past and Rangers management are still dancing like it's 1999. How do you change that? Clean house in the E-suite? Let's hope this new wrinkle works but it will still take a little more time to clear the balance sheet.

There have been too many nights after losses when the top 2 lines held a prettiest pass competition, followed by Quinn talking in the postgame about the need for more north/south, getting shots on net, getting to the net, winning puck battles. No matter who the coach or GM is, that has to be resolved to more of Quinn's stated ideal. Entirely plausible in a less division-heavy schedule the Rangers could eke out a playoff berth next year. And may be Davidson and Gorton said as much to Dolan. But even if this year's schedule was an abberation, not much has changed since the debacle vs. the Canes last summer. They aren't winning anything with the current approach.

Davidson was the voice of the Rangers on TV for 2 decades. He was part of an historic and unexpected Cup run in 1979. And that holds a lot of goodwill with fans. But recall when he left/was fired by both the Blues and Blue Jackets, those teams improved. It also has to be said when the clear issues with roster construction were exposed last summer, they were not addressed.

Gorton on balance was up and down. Fox and Panarin fell in his lap. The Anderson pick and McDonagh trade were debacles. The Nash trade a steal. The jury is out on Kravstov, Laffy and Kakko, but so far so good.

Suspect the bigger problem is how much $ the Rangers are paying out to players who were not on the roster. How is it they didn't have an inkling about Lundqvist's heart issues, which could have given cap relief. Shattenkirk's contract hurts. And while DeAngelo may be jerk, question must have been asked, if he's such a jerk, why did NYR re-sign him? NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management. Dolan cannot be happy with any of that.

Davidson left the Blues in a cost cutting measure from new ownership group.

Those teams improved after he left because of the work he did while he was there.

Any way you slice it, letting JD go was just an irrational tantrum from Dolan. Gorton I can understand since Drury was the heir apparent. Not sure he's ready to do both jobs.

Those teams improved after he left because of the work he did while he was there.

Any way you slice it, letting JD go was just an irrational tantrum from Dolan. Gorton I can understand since Drury was the heir apparent. Not sure he's ready to do both jobs.

You cannot prove this. Noone can. It is just as plausible that Dolan wanted to fire Gorton, but JD hitched his wagon to Gorton and was standing in the way. That wouldn't have been a tantrum.

• Like 1

"NYR leading the NHL in dead cap space year after year is not good management."

Understatement of the century IMO. The free-spending days have long since past and Rangers management are still dancing like it's 1999. How do you change that? Clean house in the E-suite? Let's hope this new wrinkle works but it will still take a little more time to clear the balance sheet.

How has the dead cap affected us at all this year? It didn't prevent us from signing anyone, or re-signing anyone. We're going from $13mil in dead cap to $4mil next season, and $2.5mil the year after that. It's a moot point and non-issue.

I'd really rather have a more experienced back office person be there to hold Drury's hand instead of him running the show solo.

How has the dead cap affected us at all this year? It didn't prevent us from signing anyone, or re-signing anyone. We're going from $13mil in dead cap to $4mil next season, and $2.5mil the year after that. It's a moot point and non-issue.

Except the owner is in fact writing those checks. And doing so in a year with a mostly empty arena.

Unless you were at MSG in Dolan's office for the last 2 years or you tapped his phone, this is total speculation. May be, but we don't know. We all have an idea what the issues were, but how it got to yesterday's decisions, no concrete idea.