• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

The reason why I posted that article from hockey buzz was the fact that nobody none of the reporters had that Glenn Cesar was in New York for the past three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Because it’s probably not verifiable. Eklund has been a highly questionable rumor monger for the longest time.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason why I posted that article from hockey buzz was the fact that nobody none of the reporters had that Glenn Cesar was in New York for the past three weeks.

Literally nothing Eklund posts is from a source. My cat has closer contacts with the organ-eye-zation and I assure you, she is better at vomiting than anything Ranger related

Who put out the letter? No way Dolan puts out that letter himself without JD and Gorton knowing about. It doesn’t make sense. They run the team. Dolan doesn’t need to put a public letter like that, he can just dial Bettman and give him an earful about the decision the DoPS made. Remember that Bettman works for Dolan and 31 other owners. IMO JD and Gorton put that letter out and embarrassed the organization and they had to go.

The scary thing is that Hartford has been a pile of dogshit for years. I don't understand what's so special about his resume. I don't know if it's just my disappointment with Drurys play as a Ranger years ago, but I just can't get behind him for anything.

That has to do with what he is given. He got leftovers from poor draft after poor until about 2018. Look at Hartford this year. I haven’t checked today, but a couple/few days ago they were a win from the division title.

I’m not saying Drury is right for the job but as I see it, I was 95% behind firing Gorton as he built us on too many weak European players who are not physical. But JD? No way. My only reasoning is he laid down the gauntlet and said if you fire Gorton, you may as well fire me. And the arrogant ass Dolan obliged.

I just pray we don’t make any stupid reactionary trades during the summer. But with Dolan probably pulling Drury’s strings, unfortunately, I think it is inevitable.

So I just got home put on the game at 2AM and was shocked to see this news. Haven't looked a twitter all day long and haven't read through this thread. Don't even know the reason yet, but all I can say is GOOD!!!!

I know JD was a feel good story, but anybody in any front office that had anything to do with bringing in the worst player in the league, Jack Johnson, is not fit to work in this league. There is no excuse in this world and they were never going to be a front office group that would put this team in the best position to win and that one decision alone exemplifies that. Hopefully the coaching staff is next.

That has to do with what he is given. He got leftovers from poor draft after poor until about 2018. Look at Hartford this year. I haven’t checked today, but a couple/few days ago they were a win from the division title.

I’m not saying Drury is right for the job but as I see it, I was 95% behind firing Gorton as he built us on too many weak European players who are not physical. But JD? No way. My only reasoning is he laid down the gauntlet and said if you fire Gorton, you may as well fire me. And the arrogant ass Dolan obliged.

I just pray we don’t make any stupid reactionary trades during the summer. But with Dolan probably pulling Drury’s strings, unfortunately, I think it is inevitable.

He's also been assistant GM with the Rangers. The Wolfpack have played 23 games and have 14 wins... Let's not get excited about Hartford.. As Phil keeps saying, Drury was a driviforce in getting Quinn here. I think most agree Quinn shouldn't be the Rangers coach anymore. That tight relationship may prove to be a bond that will take massive failure for Drury to let him go. I mean the fact that he wasn't shown the door with Gorton and JD, kinda already shows some favoritism. If anyone should have been fired it's the coach. Not the guy who just got here nor the guy who just got done with a complete overhaul of the teams prospect cupboard. Nevermind the structure of the roster which gives them a lot of cap space and flexibility going into the summer. You fire the coach in this situation. He's still here for some reason.

Sad about JD. Thats bout it. Loved Drury as a player and loved that he was with the organization afterwards. Like this move. Now can Quinn and get on the phone with Columbus to make sure they are firing Torts.

For what it's worth; recall Dolan could not have been more complimentary to Tortarella when he was fired.

He's also been assistant GM with the Rangers. The Wolfpack have played 23 games and have 14 wins... Let's not get excited about Hartford.. As Phil keeps saying, Drury was a driviforce in getting Quinn here. I think most agree Quinn shouldn't be the Rangers coach anymore. That tight relationship may prove to be a bond that will take massive failure for Drury to let him go. I mean the fact that he wasn't shown the door with Gorton and JD, kinda already shows some favoritism. If anyone should have been fired it's the coach. Not the guy who just got here nor the guy who just got done with a complete overhaul of the teams prospect cupboard. Nevermind the structure of the roster which gives them a lot of cap space and flexibility going into the summer. You fire the coach in this situation. He's still here for some reason.

Who hired the coach? Gordon deserved to be fired. Jd I really don’t know what the presidents role is other than to monitor Twitter accounts apparently. I love jd but what am I missing. What is his role? Why/how can drury now do the jobs of 2 men? To me jd was here as an ornament.

This. I love JD. I really do. Hell, I, old enough to remember him play, albeit barely. His voice and presence is synonymous with the Rangers to me. But, if it’s true that Gorton was set to be fired and JD said “if he goes, I go” then I’m sorry JD. Gorton wasn’t a guarantee to not go. He’s been gifted a lot in his time here so it is what it is. Silly to fall on Gorton sword. I have confidence in Drury. He’s served him time in the organization management side since 2015. He wasn’t flipping pizzas a week ago.

I don't. I think he told Dolan "if Gorton goes, I go," and Dolan called his bluff.

Sather never left the front office helping. I wouldn't be so sure on Quinn just yet. Drury did a full-court press to help sign him in the first place. They likely see the game the same way.

I'm just still trying to digest all this. I think the world of JD, but also knew Drury was just waiting in the wings. I'm more apt to believe that JD fell on the sword for Gorton, like Phil states above, and Drury had been touted by a few teams recently to be their GM, so you would think the guy has some serious merit as a GM.

There's probably a lot to this whole ordeal and maybe we'll even get to the bottom of it in 100 years....

I'm not sure where I stand on this Quinn thing though; The more I read what Phil posted, the more I believe that Quinn may very well remain the coach.

We'll see, but all I know is that this is one fucked up situation and I feel bad for JD

Since when is a 61% winning percentage bad?

Wow. Crazy uncle Jim got drunk and trashed the house. I just hope Drury has some independence. He seems like he is a smart guy - hopefully smart enough to be able to avoid having to hire Messier.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

After my knee jerk reaction yesterday, I've had time to let this really settle in. After sleeping on this, Drury is an incredible talent evaluator and has great hockey head. Sought after by several teams including rival Pittsburgh. There's a reason they wanted him so bad. He's young and he's very intelligent as respects to the game. I have complete trust in his opinions as I am not on the level of these executives. If for some reason, Drury feels Messier can serve a role in the organization that will help move us forward, I'm all in. Messier is probably the greatest "leader" if seen in all my years of following the Rangers. Players seem to raise their game to another level when he's around. Always led by example, and is a winner. Depending on his role, I'm fine with it, and full confidence in Drury.

Ill say this... Keeping drury, as inexperienced as he may be, is keeping me sane. Is he going to do well? I have no idea but I have hope he will continue to build on what Gorton was doing rather than dismantling it like an outside hire might.

I think when a big trade is made this off season we have to remember whether its Drury or Gorton, it was probably coming either way. I don't like the firings personally, but I am not going to panic until I see this team reverse direction officially.

With that said, gotta wonder if/how Drury knew not to take the pittsburgh and florida jobs. I mean technically it could have been years before he got promoted. There is more to this story than we know for sure.

Ill say this... Keeping drury, as inexperienced as he may be, is keeping me sane. Is he going to do well? I have no idea but I have hope he will continue to build on what Gorton was doing rather than dismantling it like an outside hire might.

I think when a big trade is made this off season we have to remember whether its Drury or Gorton, it was probably coming either way. I don't like the firings personally, but I am not going to panic until I see this team reverse direction officially.

With that said, gotta wonder if/how Drury knew not to take the pittsburgh and florida jobs. I mean technically it could have been years before he got promoted. There is more to this story than we know for sure.

You beat me to it, but I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps this 'coup' or whatever you want to call it was in the works for awhile.

I really think Gorton had to go,after watching last season playoffs and this season teams taking advantage of the rangers for being too finesse of a team shows me he didn't adjust at all ,so if JD said if Gorton goes it I go ,than he had to go

I think Drury was an excellent choice

The fact that Drury was highly sought after and has been for awhile helps a bit. Losing JD stings the most for me. Then again, if both he and Gorton were distancing themselves from that statement made from Dolan, sticking up for his organization and players, maybe it was best they were let go. No more of this pussy foot shit in general. This team needs to be tough to play against.

I really think Gorton had to go,after watching last season playoffs and this season teams taking advantage of the rangers for being too finesse of a team shows me he didn't adjust at all ,so if JD said if Gorton goes it I go ,than he had to go

I think Drury was an excellent choice

Which is a fair argument. But by his own words they were building something and didnt want to deviate from that plan. By all accounts they went after Chara and Reaves in recent memory, and who knows who else so it wasnt for a lack of trying.

Chara probably just wanted to go to a contender this late in his career, which is understandable. It is kind of too bad they didn't wind up with someone like Reeves, though. This offseason should be interesting as there are a number of options available through free agency. A trade or two is very likely as well.

But sources indicate that Dolan’s vision of the future, and more specifically the immediate future, clashed with the blueprint embraced by now-former team president John Davidson and now-former general manager Jeff Gorton, both dismissed Wednesday. Three years after The Letter and only two years after luring Davidson from Columbus to oversee the program, philosophies diverged.

Davidson, who had overseen bottom-up rebuilds in St. Louis and Columbus that failed to reach fruition under his tenure, had continued to preach patience under a slow-walk philosophy. Gorton presumably was not only JD’s acolyte, but a true believer.

After four years out of the playoffs, Dolan had begun to question the administration of the program whose long view does not exactly jibe with the roster whose marquee players Artemi Panarin, Mika Zibanejad and Chris Kreider will be between 28 and 30 when next season commences and are likely to be diminished by the time the promise coalesces.

There is a Part B to this: There is no question that the meek manner in which the Rangers were manhandled by the Islanders when the playoffs were still in sight added to Dolan’s urgency here. The prioritization of skill guys over will guys was noted. So was an absence of pushback.

It is safe to suggest that this was something Dolan was not willing to abide as a part of the process, a position perhaps influenced by the unexpected success of his blue-collar Knicks team that is being led by a new regime.

But the GM — and Davidson — seemed to ignore the meaning of last summer’s beatdown by Carolina under the bubble by not fortifying the roster with grit and strength to support all of the finesse-oriented athletes. Maybe the hierarchy was hamstrung by cap constraints. Maybe they were going to get to it this summer.

But this was a deficiency everyone could see coming well before it manifested itself throughout the season and with finality in those games against the Islanders. This was Army being humiliated by Navy three times within two weeks, though the seeds of Dolan’s discontent had been sown before that.

Again. This represents shock treatment for those who believed the rebuild was not only on schedule but way ahead of what could have been anticipated in March 2018. A year ago maybe it was.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/05/why-rangers-owner-jim-dolan-fired-john-davidson-jeff-gorton/

I don’t feel this team underachieved. Maybe that’s just me, and maybe I’m wrong.

But before the season, given the fact that the holes were still there on the roster in key spots and the youth of the roster (youngest team in league), that they’d probably be a bubble team.

They’d either get into the postseason as a low seed that qualified late, or they’d be in the hunt until late, but miss out by a small number of points.

And the latter is what happened.

So I don’t see this as a situation wherein Gorton and JD got axed due to the team underperforming or them doing so because the roster is poorly constructed.

And if Dolan felt that way, why not fire the coach?

It’s pretty clear what happened.

Dolan put out that statement. JD and Gorton weren’t in agreement with it, and they made that known. But... they did so not just in the building and within the organization, but to others.

I don’t think to the media, or we would have heard, but to others around the league, namely people they know in other organizations as well as people they know working for the league itself.

If that’s in fact what happened, I can see why Dolan would cut them loose. Not saying that it was the right way to go, but I can see it.