• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dolan probably should have waited until about 930 tonight to announce their firing. It would at least given us some satisfaction instead of confusion.

So true, if he’d waited til after they inevitably did nothing to get retribution for Monday night, I think a lot of the people who are angry and confused about this move would be cheering it on. I’m kind of on the fence about this but if it was after a game where they didn’t retaliate I’d probably be off the fence and waving JD and Gorton goodbye happily.

I'm not too upset with letting Gorton walk, but I feel they did JD dirty here. He's an ambassador to the game and just the right guy you want as a figurehead for your franchise. Plus, obviously, he has very strong Rangers roots. Him getting the ax is the most upsetting to me. I thought he and Drury would've worked really well together. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking because he was the voice of hockey for me in my youth, watching the Rangers and learning about the game. I considered him my hockey Dad.

Drury has been in the management side of the game since 2015.

Director of player personnel to assistant GM of both Hartford and the Rangers. Then associate GM. He’s not out of nowhere. Whether he stays both roles I guess is up for he has experience in the front office.

The scary thing is that Hartford has been a pile of dogshit for years. I don't understand what's so special about his resume. I don't know if it's just my disappointment with Drurys play as a Ranger years ago, but I just can't get behind him for anything.

I'm shocked, but this is Montreal Canadiens level nonsense here. Any sensible human is going to know that a move like this looks like a fucking tantrum, and not a massive change in direction for the franchise.

Here's the shitty part: you can defend the logic of us underperforming all you like here. You are only ever going to be slightly right or slightly wrong. It's not like this team is a disaster. They have a ways to go but we're not talking bottom of the league veteran nonsense here. This is a young and growing team that struggled in big games this year. That can be addressed. No matter where you end up on that side of that argument I cannot fathom how firing the GM and the President of Hockey Operations is the answer. Fire the fucking coach. These guys are responsible for giving the coach the team, and man have they done an incredible job in just three years.

Makes no sense to me, and clearly there is other nonsense going on here.

Pretty much where I'm at. I'm not fan of Gorton, but you can't fire HIM before firing the coach. The fact that Quinn is still here while Gorton and the big boy are fired is extremely strange.

JD JUST FUCKING GOT HERE and is adored by the MSG faithful. He's an icon just like Messier, just with experience in building winning teams. He's the guy you keep around.

There's gotta be more to the story. You can't fire JD. You just can't.

As has been pointed out, the timing of the firing makes ZERO sense in terms of performance...with one week left in the season?

I personally think we underachieved as well, but blowing up the front office this way would hardly be a good response (we're not talking 'Buffalo' underachievement here).

I could actually get behind this if the real story is that JD and Gorts didn't have the balls to stand by the teams statement.

Pretty much where I'm at. I'm not fan of Gorton, but you can't fire HIM before firing the coach. The fact that Quinn is still here while Gorton and the big boy are fired is extremely strange.

JD JUST FUCKING GOT HERE and is adored by the MSG faithful. He's an icon just like Messier, just with experience in building winning teams. He's the guy you keep around.

There's gotta be more to the story. You can't fire JD. You just can't.

Dumping JD like that is a really bad bridge to burn.

As has been pointed out, the timing of the firing makes ZERO sense in terms of performance...with one week left in the season?

I personally think we underachieved as well, but blowing up the front office this way would hardly be a good response (we're not talking 'Buffalo' underachievement here).

I could actually get behind this if the real story is that JD and Gorts didn't have the balls to stand by the teams statement.

It sounds like that could very well be the case, or certainly part of it at least.

When I saw this thread title I thought it may have been an old April Fool's joke revived, or something from Babylon Bee. Not in a million years would I have thought JD would get fired in just the 2nd year and it makes me very sad but I think Drury will do a fine job.

Purely theoretical, but what if Gorton and JD were against physical retribution tonight? Would explain why a move like calling up Geertsen wasn't made, no? And maybe Quinn wanted to approach the game like they did tonight and was being told no...would also explain how Quinn is still here instead of letting Martin assume the bench for the last few games. Maybe Quinn actually stays...