• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

This is semantics, really. Dolan's impatience, along with the fanbases', is why you can't truly rebuild the right way, as these firings show. JD's been here 2 years. If they're firing him for underperforming, that's impatience.

Oh, there I agree, yeah, but they technically did rebuild, is all I'm saying. They had enough stomach to bottom out, they just didn't didn't want to bottom out for very long.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit,Dolan has been patient ,this team has been rebuilding for a while now ,he kind of.surprised me for be so patient

I dont even understand why its a big deal to Dolan. Rebuilding or not the Garden (sans covid) is packed every game anyway.

Are they that much worse than than the 97-04 teams that werent making the playoffs?

This is semantics, really. Dolan's impatience, along with the fanbases', is why you can't truly rebuild the right way, as these firings show. JD's been here 2 years. If they're firing him for underperforming, that's impatience.

I can't see that being the REAL reason. Will we ever find out? Will JD or Gorton speak about their dismissal? I'm guessing a clash in personalities AKA they didn't like Dolan....at all. And Dolan found a (his) reason to kill'em off.

Who hired the coach? Gordon deserved to be fired. Jd I really don’t know what the presidents role is other than to monitor Twitter accounts apparently. I love jd but what am I missing. What is his role? Why/how can drury now do the jobs of 2 men? To me jd was here as an ornament.

Disagree. I really don't like Gorton at all, so Iits not like I'm sticking up for my guy here, but how does Gorton deserve to be fired?

Don't list his screw ups without realizing the pluses he has benefited this team. You don't fire a GM who is just coming out of rebuild mode, with a (Hopefully ) plan to use the cap space he just gained at the end of the season.

You can't have this guy do the hard work of drafting the players and signing the star players as well as trading garbage for legit contributors, going through the entire process, and thenfire him and handing the gift horse to another guy.

Again I am no fan of Gorton, but you can't complain about the job he's done, when he had yet to put the last finishing pieces together with the cap space he just cleared.

I'd imagine president does a lot of leg work as a liason to potential free agents, draft picks, and league stuff. Infact you'd have to think JD had a major hand in getting Panarin to sign here.

Most GMs these days have both titles.

The fact that Drury was highly sought after and has been for awhile helps a bit. Losing JD stings the most for me. Then again, if both he and Gorton were distancing themselves from that statement made from Dolan, sticking up for his organization and players, maybe it was best they were let go. No more of this pussy foot shit in general. This team needs to be tough to play against.

As it does for me too. JD is an incredible hockey mind, always gave the impression in his interviews of having a strong grasp of where this team is at and the long term goals, seemed to have a solid vision, well respected within the league etc. He would've been a fantastic person to work alongside Drury, if Dolan was truly hellbent on getting rid of Gorton.

Regardless of what were the circumstances of JD leaving (e.g. falling on his sword as some speculated), it's a big loss for this organization. No discredit to Drury, as he's put in the time and legwork to get to this point, but JD was a massive asset to the Rangers.

• Like 1

Since when is a 61% winning percentage bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Since the start of MOST seasons in sports. . Just months ago people were saying Hartford sucks and it would ruin Lafreniere and Kakko if you sent them down.

While we're at it, what future Rangers are on Hartford right now? Last year? Year before? Year before? Most every prospect that goes there wants to bo back home immediately.

Hartford isn't any kind of shining example. Infact it should be damning.

Disagree. I really don't like Gorton at all, so Iits not like I'm sticking up for my guy here, but how does Gorton deserve to be fired?

Don't list his screw ups without realizing the pluses he has benefited this team. You don't fire a GM who is just coming out of rebuild mode, with a (Hopefully ) plan to use the cap space he just gained at the end of the season.

You can't have this guy do the hard work of drafting the players and signing the star players as well as trading garbage for legit contributors, going through the entire process, and thenfire him and handing the gift horse to another guy.

Again I am no fan of Gorton, but you can't complain about the job he's done, when he had yet to put the last finishing pieces together with the cap space he just cleared.

I'd imagine president does a lot of leg work as a liason to potential free agents, draft picks, and league stuff. Infact you'd have to think JD had a major hand in getting Panarin to sign here.

Most GMs these days have both titles.

Translation: "you can't complain about the job he's done when he has yet to put the finishing pieces together with the cap space he just cleared after making poor decisions in the first place."

So, yeah, I can complain. The guy who acquired Zibanejad for Brassard is the same one who insisted on including Miller for Hajek in a completely botched McDonagh trade. The guy who traded two seconds for Fox is the same one that signed Shattenkirk only to buy him out and eat a $6M dead cap charge.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it to.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. Particularly when it comes to Howden and Di Guiseppe. But I also feel like we would be having this argument in reverse if the kids had more limited ice time because the rangers went out and signed some guys who were more aligned with a rough and tumble game.

4th line should have been better- no doubt about it. I personally dont feel like thats a fire-able offense when you consider the big picture.

I don't understand how people expect the team to magically find gritty youth that can play in the too 6. Those players are hard to find. IMO the Rangers had been drafting so poorly in the past, in trying to find these types. The Hugh Jessiman and Dylan Mcllrath picks were reaches during a time where they were trying to draft more well rounded players over skill guys. They simply would shy away from skill guys, missing out on a bunch of current NHL talent. So, they kinda righted the ship by grabbing these skill players in hoping one would hit. A bunch hit and now they have a glut of finesse players as well as D men.. You have to give Gorton time to use these assets to shift things around and obtain what's needed through trade.

I mean look at this situation. When the fuck was the last time we were able to say we have TOO MANY skilled players? They've been so mediocre and shitty for years that people actually clamored for players like Jesper fucking Fast. At least now they have assets with worth. Something they hadn't had in over a decade.

• Like 1

Translation: "you can't complain about the job he's done when he has yet to put the finishing pieces together with the cap space he just cleared after making poor decisions in the first place."

So, yeah, I can complain. The guy who acquired Zibanejad for Brassard is the same one who insisted on including Miller for Hajek in a completely botched McDonagh trade. The guy who traded two seconds for Fox is the same one that signed Shattenkirk only to buy him out and eat a $6M dead cap charge.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it to.

Well, yeah... It goes bothnways though.

You CAN give him time to fix fuck ups, because the team was in win mode when he made those bad decisions. Likely decisions suggested by Dolan and Sather. Sather who still has a voice and pull.

I have issue with having the guy do the heavy lifting and then kicking him out the door. If he was to be penalized for his fuck ups, why wasn't he fired 2 year's ago or when they sent out "the letter"?

My opinion is Sather is being opportunistic here and will somehow get credit for when this team is finally righted. That old fuck should have been fired many years ago.

Exactly right.

Which is how and why we should all know the whole premise of the firings being performance based is nonsense.

Exactly right.

Which is how and why we should all know the whole premise of the firings being performance based is nonsense.

Pretty much. The comment about it being due to "underperforming" is just a front. The timing of how it went down pretty much indicates that there was more to it behind the scenes.

Rebuilding is a progressive process. You don't just wipe out the roster of all the dead weight, draft top picks, bring in some high performing UFAs and consider the rebuild complete. The biggest part of it is the growth and development phase that comes after, the tough playoff defeats etc. Naturally there will be setbacks along the way with certain players (prospects or acquisitions) not panning out the way you expected. No GM is going to get the formula right on the first attempt. But so you re-tool and adapt along the way whether it's making roster changes or coaching changes etc. And that's what I imagined the Rangers would do in this off-season, as there's certainly been some positives in this season to build upon.

But this all really boils down to Dolan's impatience and his ineptness in being able to see the long game.

Love, like, or Hate Gorton.. I worry about what young talent is going to get traded for middling talent grit.

Not going to happen. Drury is a smart executive, and is not going derail what we are building here.

Pretty much. The comment about it being due to "underperforming" is just a front. The timing of how it went down pretty much indicates that there was more to it behind the scenes.

Rebuilding is a progressive process. You don't just wipe out the roster of all the dead weight, draft top picks, bring in some high performing UFAs and consider the rebuild complete. The biggest part of it is the growth and development phase that comes after, the tough playoff defeats etc. Naturally there will be setbacks along the way with certain players (prospects or acquisitions) not panning out the way you expected. No GM is going to get the formula right on the first attempt. But so you re-tool and adapt along the way whether it's making roster changes or coaching changes etc. And that's what I imagined the Rangers would do in this off-season, as there's certainly been some positives in this season to build upon.

But this all really boils down to Dolan's impatience and his ineptness in being able to see the long game.

that's why i think it has to do with the letter. Who put that letter out? i doubt it was dolan over JDs head

Not going to happen. Drury is a smart executive, and is not going derail what we are building here.

If anything he'll just be doing what he and Gorton had planned for the offseason anyway. I don't think that much has changed. He knows what the needs are.

Ill say this... Keeping drury, as inexperienced as he may be, is keeping me sane. Is he going to do well? I have no idea but I have hope he will continue to build on what Gorton was doing rather than dismantling it like an outside hire might.

I think when a big trade is made this off season we have to remember whether its Drury or Gorton, it was probably coming either way. I don't like the firings personally, but I am not going to panic until I see this team reverse direction officially.

With that said, gotta wonder if/how Drury knew not to take the pittsburgh and florida jobs. I mean technically it could have been years before he got promoted. There is more to this story than we know for sure.

He knew. That's why he stayed.

Since the start of MOST seasons in sports. . Just months ago people were saying Hartford sucks and it would ruin Lafreniere and Kakko if you sent them down.

While we're at it, what future Rangers are on Hartford right now? Last year? Year before? Year before? Most every prospect that goes there wants to bo back home immediately.

Hartford isn't any kind of shining example. Infact it should be damning.

Roster players that spent time in Hartford/Connecticut:

Chris Kreider

Filip Chytil

Ryan Lindgren

Igor Shesterkin

Alex Georgiev

Libor Hajek

Vitali Kravtsov

Phil Di Giuseppe

Roster players that went from amateur to pro:

Alexis Lafreniere

Kaapo Kakko

Adam Fox

Zac Jones

K'Andre Miller

Pavel Buchnevich (4 game AHL stint)

Brett Howden

Roster players from trades/free agency

Artemi Panarin

Mika Zibanejad

Ryan Strome

Colin Blackwell

Kevin Rooney

Jacob Trouba

Brendan Smith

Julien Gauthier

So about 2/3rds of our roster was either drafted and came directly to the NHL (no need for AHL) or spent some time in the AHL. What's your problem again?

• Like 1

Roster players that spent time in Hartford/Connecticut:

Chris Kreider

Filip Chytil

Ryan Lindgren

Igor Shesterkin

Alex Georgiev

Libor Hajek

Vitali Kravtsov

Phil Di Giuseppe

Roster players that went from amateur to pro:

Alexis Lafreniere

Kaapo Kakko

Adam Fox

Zac Jones

K'Andre Miller

Pavel Buchnevich (4 game AHL stint)

Brett Howden

Roster players from trades/free agency

Artemi Panarin

Mika Zibanejad

Ryan Strome

Colin Blackwell

Kevin Rooney

Jacob Trouba

Brendan Smith

Julien Gauthier

So about 2/3rds of our roster was either drafted and came directly to the NHL (no need for AHL) or spent some time in the AHL. What's your problem again?

wait till Josh gets here. you're going to get it then

I honestly don’t see impatience as a part of it at all.

I think all along, it was pretty obvious that the upcoming 21-22 season was the season in which they were elevated to contender status. If they reached that status prior to then, it was gravy. But I don’t think it was what was expected

Now if you want to say Dolan expected the playoffs this year and was disappointed, ok. But even under those circumstances, I can’t see him just abruptly firing his GM and President.

It’s squarely about him having upset over JD and Gorton not being in agreement with the statement he made.

I honestly don’t see impatience as a part of it at all.

I think all along, it was pretty obvious that the upcoming 21-22 season was the season in which they were elevated to contender status. If they reached that status prior to then, it was gravy. But I don’t think it was what was expected

Now if you want to say Dolan expected the playoffs this year and was disappointed, ok. But even under those circumstances, I can’t see him just abruptly firing his GM and President.

It’s squarely about him having upset over JD and Gorton not being in agreement with the statement he made.

do we know for sure it was him who made the statement? i find it hard to believe he himself put out the statement without JD and Gorton knowing about it