• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drury was huge in the hiring of Quinn. It is possible that this helps Quinn not hurts him. This is way to coincidental to not have anything to do with the last 48 hours. Otherwise why not wait for the season to be over, 3 games. We all know how petty Dolan is and I could totally see JD and Gorton refusing to endorse that statement and Dolan didn't like being told no. I do believe that JD and Gorton also left themselves open to this by their failure to address the will and leadership of this team. The horrible showings against the Isles last week put them in serious danger.

What is certain s that next year will be all about making the playoffs. Unfortunately this team needs an identity and with this move you can be sure the Rangers are going to be looking for the sexy deal not the hockey deal. I'm fine with both firings because they both have done questionable jobs. The timing is terrible and makes it look like a tantrum instead of a thought out exercise. That is horrifying. With JD gone I'm guessing there is no hope for Torts.

Drury went from head of player development for the Wolf Pack to President and GM of the New York Rangers in 6 years.... Think about that for a second.

Does mean he knows the players and this organization better than practically anyone else. He was getting this job someday, or he would have long ago taken any number of the jobs for which he has been offered GM interviews.

Drury was huge in the hiring of Quinn. It is possible that this helps Quinn not hurts him. This is way to coincidental to not have anything to do with the last 48 hours. Otherwise why not wait for the season to be over, 3 games. We all know how petty Dolan is and I could totally see JD and Gorton refusing to endorse that statement and Dolan didn't like being told no. I do believe that JD and Gorton also left themselves open to this by their failure to address the will and leadership of this team. The horrible showings against the Isles last week put them in serious danger.

What is certain s that next year will be all about making the playoffs. Unfortunately this team needs an identity and with this move you can be sure the Rangers are going to be looking for the sexy deal not the hockey deal. I'm fine with both firings because they both have done questionable jobs. The timing is terrible and makes it look like a tantrum instead of a thought out exercise. That is horrifying. With JD gone I'm guessing there is no hope for Torts.

Think you are jumping to a lot of unsupported conclusions. We really don't know the why . But we do know Drury gets a job today that he was going to get eventually anyway.

As well it should be. They're entering the third years on Panarin and Trouba and the second on Kreider's extension. Between them there's more than $180 million invested. Use whatever phrase you want, but you can't preach patience and "big picture" and be locking up these players for this much money at the same time. It's just insanity to do so.

Like, if you wanted the slow, long, drawn out build (Yzerman in Detroit), you don't sign Panarin, you sign Nyquist. You don't trade for and sign Trouba, you just sign a guy like Edmundson.

Dolan is, without a doubt, not a patient man, but he's not wrong for thinking they should be farther along than they are.

• Like 2

Drury went from head of player development for the Wolf Pack to President and GM of the New York Rangers in 6 years.... Think about that for a second.

John Davidson went from announcer of the Rangers to President of the St Louis Blues.

John Davidson went from announcer of the Rangers to President of the St Louis Blues.

the NHL definitely is a bit of an old boys club. But it doesn't mean that people don't ever earn their promotions/positions. Between his work through the organization and in the minors, as well as with Team USA, it can't all be nepotism. I'm sure Drury is going to do well. I can't say I'm upset he's in the drivers seat now. just really should not have gone down this way

I'm shocked, but this is Montreal Canadiens level nonsense here. Any sensible human is going to know that a move like this looks like a fucking tantrum, and not a massive change in direction for the franchise.

Here's the shitty part: you can defend the logic of us underperforming all you like here. You are only ever going to be slightly right or slightly wrong. It's not like this team is a disaster. They have a ways to go but we're not talking bottom of the league veteran nonsense here. This is a young and growing team that struggled in big games this year. That can be addressed. No matter where you end up on that side of that argument I cannot fathom how firing the GM and the President of Hockey Operations is the answer. Fire the fucking coach. These guys are responsible for giving the coach the team, and man have they done an incredible job in just three years.

Makes no sense to me, and clearly there is other nonsense going on here.

As well it should be. They're entering the third years on Panarin and Trouba and the second on Kreider's extension. Between them there's more than $180 million invested. Use whatever phrase you want, but you can't preach patience and "big picture" and be locking up these players for this much money at the same time. It's just insanity to do so.

Like, if you wanted the slow, long, drawn out build (Yzerman in Detroit), you don't sign Panarin, you sign Nyquist. You don't trade for and sign Trouba, you just sign a guy like Edmundson.

Dolan is, without a doubt, not a patient man, but he's not wrong for thinking they should be farther along than they are.

Yeah that’s just it. The minute you brought Panarin in you decided you were at least “over the hump” in terms of going short vs long term for rebuilding. Then retaining Kreider cemented that to the point where this team shouldn’t have been in a position to look like a team not even ready to compete many nights. Add in a few things that’ll draw some attention from the guy writing the checks.

1. Having a guy in the Norris conversation you were handed and still not have itmake an impactful difference in the standings.

2. Buyout several guys.

3. Like it or not but being the guy that in a press conference said “I gave Tony an ultimatum and I thought I had to stick to my word so we sent him home” a handful of games into a season you just re-upped him for

4. Not address any toughness in the lineup or a bottom 6 role all while watching our biggest investment in Panarin get ragdolled.

5. Having our biggest rival be close to winning a cup last year and handing us our ass all season

Mollie Walker

@MollieeWalkerr

·

10m

Mark Messier on the way the #NYR are currently built: "In my opinion, if you're going to win, you got to be able to win in the street and the alley. I particularly would not have built the team that didn't have answers in this regard."

That's a statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah that’s just it. The minute you brought Panarin in you decided you were at least “over the hump” in terms of going short vs long term for rebuilding. Then retaining Kreider cemented that to the point where this team shouldn’t have been in a position to look like a team not even ready to compete many nights. Add in a few things that’ll draw some attention from the guy writing the checks.

1. Having a guy in the Norris conversation you were handed and still not have itmake an impactful difference in the standings.

2. Buyout several guys.

3. Like it or not but being the guy that in a press conference said “I gave Tony an ultimatum and I thought I had to stick to my word so we sent him home” a handful of games into a season you just re-upped him for

4. Not address any toughness in the lineup or a bottom 6 role all while watching our biggest investment in Panarin get ragdolled.

5. Having our biggest rival be close to winning a cup last year and handing us our ass all season

Yeah when you lay it out like this... It's pretty clear.

• Like 1

I might be over reacting and fully acknowledge that but this might be the most deflated I’ve ever been as a fan. Shitty year, shitty ending, shitty firing.

Yeah. I just feel exhausted. From the all time high of winning the lottery to the slow crash and burn that is this season (specifically with these firings today), I genuinely feel sad.

My split second reaction to the news was: do I even want to support this anymore? Of course I will in the end, but like, fuck me, I feel worn down as a fan.

Mollie Walker

@MollieeWalkerr

·

10m

Mark Messier on the way the #NYR are currently built: "In my opinion, if you're going to win, you got to be able to win in the street and the alley. I particularly would not have built the team that didn't have answers in this regard."

That's a statement.

When is Messier gonna stop begging for a job and get in on the ground level somewhere? Seems kinda gross to suddenly appear and dance on JD's grave.