• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

Which is a fair argument. But by his own words they were building something and didnt want to deviate from that plan. By all accounts they went after Chara and Reaves in recent memory, and who knows who else so it wasnt for a lack of trying.

I do think they messed up ,they didn't need just one guy who could police,but a bunch of gritty players that could play the in the third and fourth line, players like Gauthier and Rooney ,di giuseppe ,Houden,blackwell arent going to play the griding game,so do blame Gorton for it

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think they messed up ,they didn't need just one guy who could police,but a bunch of gritty players that could play the in the third and fourth line, players like Gauthier and Rooney ,di giuseppe ,Houden,blackwell arent going to play the griding game,so do blame Gorton for it

I dont necessarily disagree with you. Particularly when it comes to Howden and Di Guiseppe. But I also feel like we would be having this argument in reverse if the kids had more limited ice time because the rangers went out and signed some guys who were more aligned with a rough and tumble game.

4th line should have been better- no doubt about it. I personally dont feel like thats a fire-able offense when you consider the big picture.

I don’t feel this team underachieved. Maybe that’s just me, and maybe I’m wrong.

But before the season, given the fact that the holes were still there on the roster in key spots and the youth of the roster (youngest team in league), that they’d probably be a bubble team.

They’d either get into the postseason as a low seed that qualified late, or they’d be in the hunt until late, but miss out by a small number of points.

And the latter is what happened.

So I don’t see this as a situation wherein Gorton and JD got axed due to the team underperforming or them doing so because the roster is poorly constructed.

And if Dolan felt that way, why not fire the coach?

It’s pretty clear what happened.

Dolan put out that statement. JD and Gorton weren’t in agreement with it, and they made that known. But... they did so not just in the building and within the organization, but to others.

I don’t think to the media, or we would have heard, but to others around the league, namely people they know in other organizations as well as people they know working for the league itself.

If that’s in fact what happened, I can see why Dolan would cut them loose. Not saying that it was the right way to go, but I can see it.

Right. JD and JG are Hockey Men™ — they aren't loyal to Sather, they're loyal to the game. Backing a statement that for the first time in history demanded the firing of a league official would have put them in a really tough spot among their colleagues going forward, and with other owners in the event they moved on. Dolan put them between a rock and a hard place. You might even say he chose "Violence."

I don't think the team necessarily underperformed, either, but I think the rebuild itself was losing steam. They've rebuilt. The cupboards are stocked. It's time to take the next step.

I agree, this team didn't underachieve. We looked at this defense and felt it was going to be poor, and it has truly surprised us. I don't think anyone thought this corp of defensemen would be this good this year. While it took some time for Laf to turn it on, he is playing a lot better now than when the season first started. the main problem IMO, has been two things: a lack of a banger that can be physical and still play the game and the choices Quinn has made this year. Outside of Panarin, Fox and Strome, the entire team has struggled for a lot of the season. The lines didn't seem to gel, and the kids weren't used like they should have been.

If Dolan wasn't happy with the way the team played, that's on the coach, not JD and Gorton. Give them the rest of the season, then clean house. I do like Drury being here, but he is also close with Quinn, so I don't see him getting rid of him. I just don't think Quinn is the guy for this team.

I agree, this team didn't underachieve. We looked at this defense and felt it was going to be poor, and it has truly surprised us. I don't think anyone thought this corp of defensemen would be this good this year. While it took some time for Laf to turn it on, he is playing a lot better now than when the season first started. the main problem IMO, has been two things: a lack of a banger that can be physical and still play the game and the choices Quinn has made this year. Outside of Panarin, Fox and Strome, the entire team has struggled for a lot of the season. The lines didn't seem to gel, and the kids weren't used like they should have been.

If Dolan wasn't happy with the way the team played, that's on the coach, not JD and Gorton. Give them the rest of the season, then clean house. I do like Drury being here, but he is also close with Quinn, so I don't see him getting rid of him. I just don't think Quinn is the guy for this team.

I think Quinn stays. I think you give him a better built roster and see what he can do. Then again who knows- JD just got fired.

I think Quinn stays. I think you give him a better built roster and see what he can do. Then again who knows- JD just got fired.

I think the team is only missing a couple of pieces. The hardest part is bringing in some toughness that you can play on the 2nd/3rd line, and that can contribute to the offense. You need 4 solid lines that can score, we don't need a guy that's going to just fight and hit, those days have passed us. I don't think Quinn is going to get anything else out from these guys.

Right. JD and JG are Hockey Men™ — they aren't loyal to Sather, they're loyal to the game. Backing a statement that for the first time in history demanded the firing of a league official would have put them in a really tough spot among their colleagues going forward, and with other owners in the event they moved on. Dolan put them between a rock and a hard place. You might even say he chose "Violence."

I don't think the team necessarily underperformed, either, but I think the rebuild itself was losing steam. They've rebuilt. The cupboards are stocked. It's time to take the next step.

All fair.

But I think the plan all along was to “finish” the rebuild this summer knowing the cap space and flexibility they are going to have. I think all the holes and deficiencies were going to get addressed this summer.

It had nothing to do with on ice performance.

It had nothing to do with roster construction.

It had to do with Dolan said what he said, and Gorton and JD distanced themselves from it.

Mind you, I don’t believe that those two actively sought out people outside the organization to tell that this didn’t come from them. But I think they got calls and texts from people and they let their feelings be known.

That got back to Dolan or he asked them and they told him the truth. And he fired them cause he felt undermined.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. Particularly when it comes to Howden and Di Guiseppe. But I also feel like we would be having this argument in reverse if the kids had more limited ice time because the rangers went out and signed some guys who were more aligned with a rough and tumble game.

4th line should have been better- no doubt about it. I personally dont feel like thats a fire-able offense when you consider the big picture.

I was totally for the kids to play as much as they can ,I never complained about the kids ,butthere is room for some hard nose players on the roster,you could see it when the canes exploit just how soft the the rangers played last season

I think the team is only missing a couple of pieces. The hardest part is bringing in some toughness that you can play on the 2nd/3rd line, and that can contribute to the offense. You need 4 solid lines that can score, we don't need a guy that's going to just fight and hit, those days have passed us. I don't think Quinn is going to get anything else out from these guys.

Yea there will almost surely be a trade this off season for a top 6 guy who can do that. unfortunately that probably means a kid or Buch is gone.

I dont think Quinn will get anything else from these guys either in terms of toughness but I do expect Laf and Kakko to be better next season and perhaps Chytil can over throw Strome as the 2nd line center or at least give him a good run for it. Fully expect Kravtsov to have a great season, he looks fantastic.

Yea there will almost surely be a trade this off season for a top 6 guy who can do that. unfortunately that probably means a kid or Buch is gone.

I dont think Quinn will get anything else from these guys either in terms of toughness but I do expect Laf and Kakko to be better next season and perhaps Chytil can over throw Strome as the 2nd line center or at least give him a good run for it. Fully expect Kravtsov to have a great season, he looks fantastic.

Problem is, who is available that is that type of player. I think Buch might be gone due to what he is going to cost in his next contract, and the team not being able to afford him.

I would hope the kids would be better next year, but they also need more roles out there. They need to [play more than just 3rd line minutes and on the second PP unit for 30 seconds. Quinn doesn't use them enough or have enough faith in them to let them play. The lines didn't work well this year, and he failed to move any of them up to see what they could do for a decent amount of time. Laf looked great playing on the top 2 lines, and they would put him there for a couple of games, and then put him back down. Even Kakko and Krav looked better playing up, and weren't kept there long.

If there was ever a season for a "free pass" (for potential goals not reached) I figured it was this season. COVID schedule, realignment B.S. That's why the timing of this sucks. A year from now if this team was 10th or 11th in the conference (assuming it's back to normal) then I could see going this route. Just don't think using this "season" was a fair measuring tool and I don't think there was a drop off from last season so things weren't regressing. I just think the whole season has been tumultuous for various reasons.

If there was ever a season for a "free pass" (for potential goals not reached) I figured it was this season. COVID schedule, realignment B.S. That's why the timing of this sucks. A year from now if this team was 10th or 11th in the conference (assuming it's back to normal) then I could see going this route. Just don't think using this "season" was a fair measuring tool and I don't think there was a drop off from last season so things weren't digressing. I just think the whole season has been tumultuous for various reasons.

Not to mention they most likely would have made the playoffs in another division

It's really hard to cut the emotional tie to JD for me, but I'm just gonna take this as the next step to getting where we need to go.

Pete's got a valid concern with whether or not Drury is just a "yes" man for Dolan, but I'm gonna go with the fact that Drury is a pretty solid, sought after "hockey man" deep down, and has been for a while now. He knows the right thing to do at this point, where I think all Dolan in the end cares about, is the bottom line and winning.

Drury can win...he's proven that his whole life.

It's his time, and his team now.

I mean, they did rebuild in New York. The rebuild — the intentional dismantling of the team to strategically get top picks — is over. It's time to build now.

This is semantics, really. Dolan's impatience, along with the fanbases', is why you can't truly rebuild the right way, as these firings show. JD's been here 2 years. If they're firing him for underperforming, that's impatience.