• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Fire John Davidson, Jeff Gorton; Drury Named President & GM

the NHL definitely is a bit of an old boys club. But it doesn't mean that people don't ever earn their promotions/positions. Between his work through the organization and in the minors, as well as with Team USA, it can't all be nepotism. I'm sure Drury is going to do well. I can't say I'm upset he's in the drivers seat now. just really should not have gone down this way

This. I love JD. I really do. Hell, I, old enough to remember him play, albeit barely. His voice and presence is synonymous with the Rangers to me. But, if it’s true that Gorton was set to be fired and JD said “if he goes, I go” then I’m sorry JD. Gorton wasn’t a guarantee to not go. He’s been gifted a lot in his time here so it is what it is. Silly to fall on Gorton sword. I have confidence in Drury. He’s served him time in the organization management side since 2015. He wasn’t flipping pizzas a week ago.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This move is certainly startling and confusing, but I'm ultimately not too concerned for the future of the franchise. I think Drury should be capable as a presiding figure. I do worry about more interference from Dolan because he was onboard for the letter three seasons ago, and, evidently, this rebuild hasn't been quite fast enough for his liking. Being just out of the playoff picture wasn't the end of the world for this roster, but I'm also not signing checks for the players. I could get being disappointed to sign three players over $6.5M in the last two seasons and for only one of them to perform up to par.

I hope this doesn't mean a Jack Eichel trade is forced just for the sake of competitiveness. I hope they find some better fits to address what the team needs without gutting resources.

I do think we still see the end of Quinn at the conclusion of the season, they just need him to run these last few meaningless games.

When is Messier gonna stop begging for a job and get in on the ground level somewhere? Seems kinda gross to suddenly appear and dance on JD's grave.

Seriously. Messier has publicly wanted this job for 14 years and has done nothing to get any sort of prerequisite experience.

Yea I'm with you man. Definitely not the shitty note that I was wanting to go into this off-season on.

Yeah. I just feel exhausted. From the all time high of winning the lottery to the slow crash and burn that is this season (specifically with these firings today), I genuinely feel sad.

My split second reaction to the news was: do I even want to support this anymore? Of course I will in the end, but like, fuck me, I feel worn down as a fan.

I mean maybe drury does a good job I don’t know but I felt like as bad as this season was, at least they were on the right path and then BAM!

Just one hit after another with this team

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

WTF just happened? To do a legend like JD this way is flat out wrong.

Unfortunately, we have an idiot owner who's ego is out of control. I'd like to think he has no qualifications to make a decision like this...but unfortunately, he's the owner so he can. In my opinion, the guy is a thin-skinned joke of a little man. Look at how he treats legends like Patrick Ewing and Charles Oakley (I know, different sport, but speaks to the man's character, or lack-there-of).

You can criticize Gorton for some of his moves, but on the whole, I think he's done a pretty good job. I had every confidence that the team's deficiencies would be addressed this offseason. He and JD were seemingly hamstrung by the cap, with so much tied up in players who aren't even on the team. There was only so much they could do the last few years. I think most of us were looking to this offseason, where a nice chunk becomes available, to address some of the obvious deficiencies.

I for one, did not expect playoffs this year, given the shortened season and strength of the division. I was not alone, almost all the hockey expert talking head types also expected the Rangers to be competitive, but ultimately miss the playoffs this year. I think they are just about where most experts expected them to be...

To me, this feels like an ego thing...a power trip by a classless, clueless owner. GFY Dolan!

Thank You to JD and Gorton for your efforts. This is a sad sad day in the history of our beloved Rangers. JD is and always will be a legend as far as I'm concerned...more than that, he's a class act and a true hockey guy. He represented our franchise with a grace and elegance that our owner would know nothing about. JD will be sorely missed. This one will sting for a long while.

Looking ahead...Hopeful that Drury can make the necessary moves and keep this rebuild going in the right direction. If/when we win big, it will feel a little less sweet due to what has just transpired. I'm so freaking angry right now...wish we could Fire the Owner.

This looks like a return to 1995-2004. Rash moves that backfire, future HOFers traded for "toughness," wild swings in philosophy from year to year etc. I doubt Dolan knows as much about hockey as the average poster here, and he probably watched fewer of the games this year.

Too me, the burn it down start from scratch approach was not really a good idea, not in New York, not with a team owned by Dolan. The predecessor philosophy, of a gradual youth movement, through the Brassard and Stepan trades, made more sense.

Drury has a mandate for big moves this summer. I fear an oversized deal for Eichel, with Eichel ultimately disappointing to some degree and losing a generation in return.

According to one source, Davidson was asked to fire Gorton but refused.

from the post article larry. good for jd. love the mans scruples and believed they were actually

building something long term.

POS Dolan wants to cut corners now.

hey douche bag... the defense is probably 2 years ahead of schedule....

Sad about JD. Thats bout it. Loved Drury as a player and loved that he was with the organization afterwards. Like this move. Now can Quinn and get on the phone with Columbus to make sure they are firing Torts.

Mollie Walker

@MollieeWalkerr

·

10m

Mark Messier on the way the #NYR are currently built: "In my opinion, if you're going to win, you got to be able to win in the street and the alley. I particularly would not have built the team that didn't have answers in this regard."

That's a statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Boner alert

However, this wasn't a finished product

The Gorton firing I can somewhat come to terms with. But the JD firing really stings particularly because I feel like he barely even had a chance to make a mark on this team before being let go. Still somewhat handcuffed by the decisions of the previous management, I was looking forward to his plans in the next couple of years.

Yeah that’s just it. The minute you brought Panarin in you decided you were at least “over the hump” in terms of going short vs long term for rebuilding. Then retaining Kreider cemented that to the point where this team shouldn’t have been in a position to look like a team not even ready to compete many nights. Add in a few things that’ll draw some attention from the guy writing the checks.

1. Having a guy in the Norris conversation you were handed and still not have itmake an impactful difference in the standings.

2. Buyout several guys.

3. Like it or not but being the guy that in a press conference said “I gave Tony an ultimatum and I thought I had to stick to my word so we sent him home” a handful of games into a season you just re-upped him for

4. Not address any toughness in the lineup or a bottom 6 role all while watching our biggest investment in Panarin get ragdolled.

5. Having our biggest rival be close to winning a cup last year and handing us our ass all season

Exactly. He systematically made massive investments while simultaneously defanging the entire roster, and the team still isn't in the playoffs. It's just brutal.

i dont think this team needs torts. if anything i'd put the hat on martin. he did wonders with the D this year.

Torts would give this team an identity and that's why I'd be in favor of him. Martin has been great for the defense but I'd question if the offense would thrive under him. At least we know that someone like Panarin can still be a successful producer in Tortorella's system.

I still don't get it. I'm upset over JD firing. He turned around the Blues. He made Columbus competitive Overall everyone thinks this team is heading in the right direction, ahead of schedule. Yes this team needs grit. But is loaded on talent. I'd say it's easier to add grit then talent anyway. And you have an underachieving finish to the year, but the rest of the year was an improvement from last. But why fire from top down and destroy everything.

1-2 bad seasons, fire the coach. 2-3 bad season fire the GM, 3-5 bad years fire the president and start over. Maybe JD/Gordon wanted Quinn gone, and Drury/Dolan wanted him onboard, and that conflict caused the firing. I think if Quinn doesn't get fired, we'll have our answer.

I've been mad at Dolan for the Knicks for a while. And in dealing with Oakley. But he never messed with the Rangers, other than keeping Sather on too long. But this is nuts. He jumps and make a mess of everything. I feel so bad for JD, he's going to get picked up by another team, and watch that team win the cup in 2-3 years.

This isn't what I wanted, I was eager to see what JD and Gorton had in mind for this offseason. But, I am glad that no matter what this is a stand against complacency. It's not impatient at all to think that this team should be further along. I just hope there are no kneejerk trades or signings that turn this team's rather large window into a 2-3 year win it all or bust situation.

Yeah that’s just it. The minute you brought Panarin in you decided you were at least “over the hump” in terms of going short vs long term for rebuilding. Then retaining Kreider cemented that to the point where this team shouldn’t have been in a position to look like a team not even ready to compete many nights. Add in a few things that’ll draw some attention from the guy writing the checks.

1. Having a guy in the Norris conversation you were handed and still not have itmake an impactful difference in the standings.

2. Buyout several guys.

3. Like it or not but being the guy that in a press conference said “I gave Tony an ultimatum and I thought I had to stick to my word so we sent him home” a handful of games into a season you just re-upped him for

4. Not address any toughness in the lineup or a bottom 6 role all while watching our biggest investment in Panarin get ragdolled.

5. Having our biggest rival be close to winning a cup last year and handing us our ass all season

I think there's an element to this that Lafreniere fundamentally changed, too. That lottery ball bouncing our way 100% changed Gorton's outlook, but did not change Dolan's.

But yeah, when you lay it out like that....

I thought there would be changes this offseason - but to the roster. I'm now worried that we're going to see an overcorrection demand from Dolan and/or the new team President, and Drury's going to be in the middle of it.

I think there's an element to this that Lafreniere fundamentally changed, too. That lottery ball bouncing our way 100% changed Gorton's outlook, but did not change Dolan's.

But yeah, when you lay it out like that....

I thought there would be changes this offseason - but to the roster. I'm now worried that we're going to see an overcorrection demand from Dolan and/or the new team President, and Drury's going to be in the middle of it.

And that may not actually be a bad thing. The team is clearly in dire need of more muscle, but not talentless goons. In the same way other teams are often in dire need of more talent, but not one-trick ponies. The same logic applies. It's why no one is tripping over themselves to give Brandon Pirri a contract.

Boner alert

However, this wasn't a finished product

i agree phil. ill goto my grave thinking that jd knew grit was the next step.

the rebuild was great imo though would have been superb if we'd have nailed a no1 c. anderson imo, was why they reached.

i just hope drury stands upto management. cant tell me the guys not home right now telling someone about how his boss is fuck9ng clueless.

Wow. Crazy uncle Jim got drunk and trashed the house. I just hope Drury has some independence. He seems like he is a smart guy - hopefully smart enough to be able to avoid having to hire Messier.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He does seem like a smart guy, but I can't see him biting the hand that feeds him (i.e. Dolan promoting him to President/GM). And so sadly I can't see him being much more than a puppet GM.