• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Spitlight: G1000

Shane Falco

1. If you could re-live any particular hockey moment what would it be?

2. You're suddenly transported to the middle of a Rangers game in which you're a player. You have the puck in the slot and the goalie is already squared to you. Tanner Glass is open right alongside the net for what should be an easy tip-in. What do you do?

3. You have to compose a hockey team out of exclusively basketball players. Who are you using to form your lineup?

4. If you could be any type of prophylactic what would you be?

5. A deadly virus wipes out most of humanity. You have a rare immunity to the virus that has kept you alive. After months all by yourself, you come across another survivor. It's Tony DeAngelo. What happens?

6. A Marvel superhero has to kill you. Who do you pick to do the job?

1. What is your favorite book?

I tend to really like biographies, nonfiction, or historical futurism/alt realities, so I'd give a few here:

Destiny and Power by John Meachem is a phenomenal biography and recounting of one of the great American families of the 20th century, largely through the eyes of George HW Bush. I can't recommend enough Meachem in general, but I particularly couldn't put this down.

The Next 100 Years by George Friedman was a super interesting read back when it was published in 2008 or so. It tries to predict the 21st century using current trends to basically play out a futurist geopolitical chess match. It's funny reading it again 12 years on, and of course, once it tries to go beyond 2030 or so, it just gets ridiculous.

The Man in the High Castle by the legendary Philip K Dick is one of my favorites, too. Again, alt-reality/dystopia sort of thing here - the Amazon show really didn't do it justice.

Factfulness by Hans Rosling is one I recommend to everyone I talk to. It really help you zoom out and realize that as awful as the world seems sometimes, by most every meaningful measure, we're way, way better off than we've ever been.

2. If you could only book a flight to one place and stay for a year, were would it be?

I'm killing for a proper vacation - a sit on your ass and drink alcohol out of pineapples sort of thing - right now, so I'm really tempted to just go big and say something like Bora Bora or Saipan, but truly, a year is a long fucking time and I know myself well enough to know that once I'm drunk, a few books in, and sunburnt - I'm going to want to do something else. Let's say Boulder, Colorado - I'd enjoy the hiking, the beer, and the weather, and there's plenty to do elsewise.

3. If you were ever arrested, what would you be booked for?

It'd 100% be an "I argued with the ref and said something stupid" thing after a completely minor incident, like getting the one cop on the planet who would book me for jaywalking or something.

4. If you had to bookend three consecutive years of your life as most memorable, which 3 years would it be?

2015-2018 - this is without question. I met my wife, we traveled all over the place, we moved to Florida, got married, had a kid - can't really ask for a better three year block. I guess that's four, but whatever.

5. If you had the opportunity to book two tickets to see any musician in history live, who would it be and who would you take?

I've actually set up a bit of a bucket-list during COVID for this sort of thing. We've got a lot of legends on their last legs that I haven't seen that I'm going to go out of my way to see. But all time? I'd take my wife to see Mozart. I don't even enjoy much in the way of classical music, but there is no name in history more synonymous with musical genius and I'd like to see if he can live up to it. Modern times - I'd take my dad to see Pink Floyd.

• Like 1

1. If you could re-live any particular hockey moment what would it be?

Re-live means it had to have happened while I was alive, so that knocks out the Miracle on Ice.

I was at game 6 against the Penguins in 2014. It was Mother's Day, Rangers down 3-2, and my best friend basically bought the tickets day-of and said "we're going". I have a rule: I don't go to the funeral. The Rangers had been down 3-1 in the series, and for all intents and purposes they were going to lose either 6 or 7, but he twisted my arm.

This was the first home game after Marty St Louis' mother passed away, and the symbolism of that game being on Mother's Day combined with him scoring the first goal, pointing up, and the Garden just going ballistic for him - that was absolutely surreal.

2. You're suddenly transported to the middle of a Rangers game in which you're a player. You have the puck in the slot and the goalie is already squared to you. Tanner Glass is open right alongside the net for what should be an easy tip-in. What do you do?

I'm an atrocious athlete. I'm passing to Glass. He shanks the open net, that's his problem. He's supposed to be a hockey player.

3. You have to compose a hockey team out of exclusively basketball players. Who are you using to form your lineup?

I'm going to use current players for this one

G: Rudy Gobert. Blocks everything. Controls the rebounds. Good luck aiming high on him. I'd be worried about low shots, but...

D: Zion Williamson, Giannis Antetokounmpo. Zion can play the bruiser, Giannis can be the mover. Both will eat ice and eat opponents alive.

F: DeAaron Fox, Luka Doncic, Dame Lillard. Doncic is built like an NHL center anyway, and with a straight up assassin like Lillard and a speed demon like Fox? It's gonna be fun to watch.

4. If you could be any type of prophylactic what would you be?

A covid vaccine. Go get one.

5. A deadly virus wipes out most of humanity. You have a rare immunity to the virus that has kept you alive. After months all by yourself, you come across another survivor. It's Tony DeAngelo. What happens?

I punch him in the face and he gets thrown off the continent by a higher power.

6. A Marvel superhero has to kill you. Who do you pick to do the job?

Hulk. Just instant death from a punch.

You can eat just one frozen food for the rest of your life — what is it?

Ice cream. Specifically, Jeni's Gooey Butter Cake ice cream, which may exist solely as proof of a higher power.

Thigh, breast, leg, wing -- ones gotta go. Which?

I assume you mean on chicken, and not some weird winged-human sex fantasy thing, so let's go with legs.

Covid-19 is actually the zombie apocalypse, resurrecting its victims as flesh-eating monsters. How long do you survive living in the U.S?

Honestly, I'd imagine I'm in a stronghold here. I'm in a rather large city that both took COVID very seriously and has a lot of guns to deal with our newly kuru-ridden brethren. I'd last a while. I'm sure that's what most people thought before I Am Legend or Zombieland anyway, though.

• 2 weeks later...