• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

3. Don't disrespect the 70s Flyers by comparing tough, rugged hockey to what Tom Wilson has been doing in the NHL for years.

The Flyers (Schultz 479 penalty minutes) were not simply tough rugged hockey. They ushered in a new level of goonery that took the league about 25 years to ween itself from.

What do you do when there is only one true goon left in the league, and the league does nothing about him? Do you waste roster spots on Oggie Ogglethorpes to combat one player several time a year?

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probert would never act that way because the opponent always had a missle pointed at Yzerman if he did. Probert was never afraid of retribution against him because he didn't fear anyone. He feared retribution against Yzerman. That's the point. That's the code. The Rangers don't need someone to beat up Wilson. They need someone who's willing to go rag doll Backstrom.

Blaming Wilson is obvious but also pointless to discuss. The league said it was a hockey play and that the Rangers need to deal with it themselves.

That's not the case at all. Probert in his heydey was Wilson. No one wanted to go with him. That's the point. And he certainly didn't fight skill players coming out of a scrum.

Do none of you realize Wilson does not give a fuck who is on the team he is committing his offenses against?

The common thread: Wilson does what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't care who is in the lineup or on the ice. He will fight anyone thrown his way and pay whatever price he has to. He will continue cheapshotting and head shotting. The NHL discipline doesn't seem to work. The "in game policing" doesn't seem to work.

Yeah. I think the idea that the Rangers need players who act as "deterrent" is wide of the mark. There really isn't such a thing in the NHL anymore.

What they do need are players that can walk the walk when the game gets physical. It's back to the discussion about addressing the homogeneity in the roster construction and mixing up skill guys with players who can play a heavy game. Not trying to find a hulking bruiser who's going to crack Wilsons skull if he steps out of line.

I never took blame away from Tom Wilson. Stop making shit up about me, I have zero interest in being your strawman.

When you blame the Rangers for "not being tough enough", you're taking blame from Wilson. There's not really another way to read that aside from "If the Rangers were different, Wilson would behave himself", which is patently untrue.

You may not care what DOPS thinks but they are the judge and jury here so obviously their opinion carries weight in reality.

I thought Wilson should have been suspended indefinately. The NHL made a statement loud and clear that the Rangers are on their own here.

Tom Wilson is exactly that player. He's been suspended 30 games in his young career and has shown little remorse even yukking it up last night. The Caps have rewarded him with a letter and the tweet last night applauded his violence and made fun of the Rangers whining about it.

Yes - and we can either agree that this is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated, or kowtow to DOPS and pretend like they've got some higher moral authority here that they clearly do not. I'm not interested in the latter, and I'm not particularly sure why you're tripling down on arguing with the former.

I disagree the Buch aspect on its own doesn't deserve a suspension. The Panarin thing could have been really bad, like murder. The lack of awareness here by the NHL is crazy. They narrowly dodged the biggest sport's story and tragedy in sometime last night. All because a player was out of control and dangerous. Tom Wilson has no place in this league. That's my opinion but here we are.

If DOPS is the "judge and jury" and we're supposed to put any stock in them, then they need to be consistent. There's actual precedent for "punching a face down player into the ice" - Shawn Thornton was suspended for 15 games for doing exactly that in 2013. Wilson got $5k. You can disagree all you want with whether or not it deserved a suspension, but holding the opinion that DOPS is the judge and jury and also holding the opinion that they shouldn't suspend for an action they've handed down rather harsh sentences for in the past is inconsistent.

Stop with the rape shit. How do you double down on this garbage. I do take offense to have a keyboard hero equate my feelings to blaming a rape victim for "dressing to slutty". Have some decency. I'm not some self righteous martyr for taking offense for someone equating my argument as a rape victim shammer. Yeah I do take offense. You would seriously say that to someone's face and not expect a fist in yours? You nonchalantly throw out these offensive analogies then question my righteousness? As if I'm the one going to these extremes and trying to offend. You're a moderator here for christ sake. You constantly engage in this garbage and then blame me for defending my opinion and your unfair and dishonest assessment of it. I would never victim shame a rape victim and I'm not absolving Tom Wilson. Far from it.

I'm not wasting my time with your faux-outrage. It's a basic series of analogies that's commonly understood to mean "you don't blame the victim for the acts of a criminal". You're not being shamed or anything - you're making a choice to purposefully misinterpret an analogy with clear intent and commonly understood meaning for the sole purpose of positing yourself as holier-than-thou - or more accurately, to disparage me without cause. You just compared Tom Wilson's actions to attempted murder. Don't act like you don't get it.

Maybe I need to put it into an analogy of my own so you can understand. Tom Wilson is the criminal. The New York Rangers is the defunded police and the DOPS is the courts. The criminal does what he does. The court never holds him accountable and releases him without bail. The police (Rangers) are completely defunded and have no way of getting through to the criminal. Get it?

Let me fix that for you. Tom Wilson is the criminal. The Rangers are the VICTIM. The referees are the defunded police. DOPS is the jury - and the jury is crooked.

The Flyers (Schultz 479 penalty minutes) were not simply tough rugged hockey. They ushered in a new level of goonery that took the league about 25 years to ween itself from.

What do you do when there is only one true goon left in the league, and the league does nothing about him? Do you waste roster spots on Oggie Ogglethorpes to combat one player several time a year?

Gotta endorse here. Schultz, Kelly, Moose Dupont, Don Saleski, et al elevated goonery to a strategic discipline. They weren't some band of tough-but-noble players who just did what they had to in along the road to higher hockey achievement. Fred Shero turned pure, uncut intimidation into points in the standings and playoff series wins.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Gotta endorse here. Schultz, Kelly, Moose Dupont, Don Saleski, et al elevated goonery to a strategic discipline. They weren't some band of tough-but-noble players who just did what they had to in along the road to higher hockey achievement. Fred Shero turned pure, uncut intimidation into points in the standings and playoff series wins.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Fair enough. I usually think more of the Bobby Clarke ilk here.

What just floors me is the inability of the NHL to read a situation and to deliver an outcome which at least stops their own bleeding. All they had to do was keep Wilson out of tonight's game, thus: giving the Rangers minimum satisfaction, relieving this ridiculous situation of the Rangers having to call up a minor leaguer to fight someone, and allowing Twitter to go back to doing whatever it does when it's not hyperventilating about Wilson. Yes, it would leave Backstrom less protected in a retaliation situation, but the Caps still have fucking Chara. If I were Leonsis, I'd just sit him tonight and defuse a situation that the NHL didn't have the brains or balls to address.

What just floors me is the inability of the NHL to read a situation and to deliver an outcome which at least stops their own bleeding. All they had to do was keep Wilson out of tonight's game, thus: giving the Rangers minimum satisfaction: relieving this ridiculous situation of the Rangers having to call up a minor leaguer to fight someone; allowing Twitter to go back to doing whatever it does when it's not hyperventilating about Wilson. Yes, it would leave Backstrom less protected in a retaliation situation, but the Caps still have fucking Chara. If I were Leonsis, I'd just sit him tonight and diffuse a situation that the NHL didn't have the brains or balls to address.

Yes. All of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, who's to say Wilson doesn't take a run at Lafreniere or something? It's a dangerous situation. I'm late to the party a bit on their recent statement, but I'm glad they did it. Something like that has JD written all over it and I give the organization credit for calling out who needed to be called out directly. I've seen even Islanders and Devils fans saying Wilson should have been suspended, so even they know the NHL screwed up. lol Former Ranger, fighter and NHL All Star MVP Ron Scott even questioned the NHL's integrity on this.

Probert would never act that way because the opponent always had a missle pointed at Yzerman if he did. Probert was never afraid of retribution against him because he didn't fear anyone. He feared retribution against Yzerman. That's the point. That's the code. The Rangers don't need someone to beat up Wilson. They need someone who's willing to go rag doll Backstrom.

Blaming Wilson is obvious but also pointless to discuss. The league said it was a hockey play and that the Rangers need to deal with it themselves.

I think you are a bit off base comparing Wilson to Probert or Kocur ,they weren't agitators ,or a shark looking for pray ,they played hard and policed the game if someone got out of hand

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1389704210288152576/photo/1

“The New York Rangers are extremely disappointed that Capitals forward Tom Wilson was not suspended for his horrifying act of violence last night at Madison Square Garden,” the team statement read. “Wilson is a repeat offender with a long history of these type of acts and we find it shocking that the NHL and their department of player safety failed to take the appropriate action and suspend him indefinitely. Wilson’s dangerous and reckless actions caused an injury to Artemi Panarin that will prevent him from playing again this season.

see also

NHL’s complete Tom Wilson fail puts onus for revenge on Rangers

“We view this as a dereliction of duty by NHL Head of Player Safety, George Parros, and believe he is unfit to continue in his current role.”

That's not the case at all. Probert in his heydey was Wilson. No one wanted to go with him. That's the point. And he certainly didn't fight skill players coming out of a scrum.

Isn't that what I said? Probert feared no one. He didn't do what Wilson did because he was afraid of someone beating him up, he didn't do it because he didn't want Yzerman abused by the opposite goon. That is the point. The assumption that you can't make WIlson stop is wrong. Go after Backstrom and Carlson and see how fast he stops going after Panarin.

I think you are a bit off base comparing Wilson to Probert or Kocur ,they weren't agitators ,or a shark looking for pray ,they played hard and policed the game if someone got out of hand

I'm only comparing the fact that Wilson is today's toughest player or at least in the top 2. Back in the day there wasn't an equal to Probert. He didn't do what Wilson did. Not because he was a saint but because there is a code. Once you start targeting star players the code isn't to fight the goon, it's to attack the other star.

When you blame the Rangers for "not being tough enough", you're taking blame from Wilson. There's not really another way to read that aside from "If the Rangers were different, Wilson would behave himself", which is patently untrue.

Yes - and we can either agree that this is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated, or kowtow to DOPS and pretend like they've got some higher moral authority here that they clearly do not. I'm not interested in the latter, and I'm not particularly sure why you're tripling down on arguing with the former.

If DOPS is the "judge and jury" and we're supposed to put any stock in them, then they need to be consistent. There's actual precedent for "punching a face down player into the ice" - Shawn Thornton was suspended for 15 games for doing exactly that in 2013. Wilson got $5k. You can disagree all you want with whether or not it deserved a suspension, but holding the opinion that DOPS is the judge and jury and also holding the opinion that they shouldn't suspend for an action they've handed down rather harsh sentences for in the past is inconsistent.

I'm not wasting my time with your faux-outrage. It's a basic series of analogies that's commonly understood to mean "you don't blame the victim for the acts of a criminal". You're not being shamed or anything - you're making a choice to purposefully misinterpret an analogy with clear intent and commonly understood meaning for the sole purpose of positing yourself as holier-than-thou - or more accurately, to disparage me without cause. You just compared Tom Wilson's actions to attempted murder. Don't act like you don't get it.

Let me fix that for you. Tom Wilson is the criminal. The Rangers are the VICTIM. The referees are the defunded police. DOPS is the jury - and the jury is crooked.

Are the Rangers tough enough? Is that true? You interpreting what I mean then calling it fact doesn't make it so. Both can be true. The Rangers arent tough enough and Wilson is a scumbag. Both can be true Wilson should be suspended for a long time and the Rangers should not put themselves in that position again. Player after player from Avery, to Scott, to Orr to Carcillo, to whomever has said that Wilson would never do that shit when they played. I don't know if I agree but that's what they said. Sorry that is not a statement of excusing Wilson. It's a statement of trying to avoid another Wilson incident in the future that at some point will have a tragic ending.

"Kowtow to the DOPS" What the fuck are you talking about. I don't agree with their ruling. They are obviously incompetent. Pretending that they aren't the judge and jury here is living in LALA Land. This isn't a political discussion about polls. They made a ruling, Wilson is playing. You can't just say I don't agree so therefore I'm going to ignore #43 because the DOPS got it wrong. He not only was not suspended they didn't even address the Panarin episode as worthy of a discussion. It has nothing to do with moral authority, it has to do with actual authority. They have it all. What the hell are you talking about. Do you really not understand that? Im not arguing that they are right, I'm arguing that what they say goes. Nobody in the NHL office cares what you or I think.

It's not an opinion that the DOPS is judge and jury. Are you really having this argument. Are you 12? They are the judge and jury that is not up for debate. The NHL does not take a twitter poll to determine discipline. They don't even take a vote from each team. The DOPS is where those decisions come from. THe DOPS has been criticized forever for their lack of consistency. SO no shit. Thanks for reporting something new.

My faux outrage? Then just say don't blame the victim. Why bring rape and woman dressed as sluts into it. Maybe I have a sister who was raped in college. Do I really need to go there for you to have some class? It's like making Hitler analogies. You minimize actual pain in a hockey argument. Why I need to spend a third post explaining this to you, a moderator who is supposed to promote civil discussion on here is beyond me. A simple yeah you're right would suffice and move on. You want to get hung up here, well I'm never backing off. There is no place where it's ok to compare blaming rape victims for dressing like sluts to the Rangers lack of toughness as a good analogy. Sorry but maybe you should be disparaged because it is disgusting.

I never said Tom Wilson attempted Murder. What I said is that if Panarin would have cracked his skull open and died on that play is Tom Wilson would be on trial for murder, plain and simple. He would also be found guilty of 2nd degree for complete disregard for life. See the difference here is I'm discussing the actual event, not a made up straw man event for me to pontificate about.

My analogy is spot on and didn't need correction. Up to 6-10 years ago the Ranger employed players who would police the game themselves. They employed these players for their entire almost 100 years of existence. Recently they and other teams in the league decided that the policemen role was not needed. Then Monday night happens after what happened with Martin last week. You're players are dropping like flies and the league laughs at their complaints. The Rangers have defunded their police and now have no one to protect their kids tonight. Hopefully the criminals like Tom Wilson play nice tonight because if he wants to pay $5 to rag doll Adam Fox what is anyone going to do about it? Better yet why shouldn't Wilson rag doll Fox tonight? Because it's wrong? Wake up. I'm not advocating that WIlson is right I'm pointing out the position this team is in and how they have zero control of the situation. It's flat out dangerous. It's flat out incomprehensible that they were caught so flat footed here. I blame the league for that not them. But going forward they cannot rely on the league to do what's right. The league has told them without any confusion that out of control violence will be tolerated.

• Like 1

While I give the Rangers credit for saying what they did, I also worry what this means going forward. We know, as Capt said, that apparently this type of thing is alright. What does this mean for the Rangers now as far as getting calls/not getting calls from referees during the game regarding penalties and whatnot? It's one thing I fear about calling the NHL out publicly. The league can be like a mafia of sorts, and not being able to rely on them, Rangers or otherwise, is concerning.
  • Like 1

While I give the Rangers credit for saying what they did, I also worry what this means going forward. We know, as Capt said, that apparently this type of thing is alright. What does this mean for the Rangers now as far as getting calls/not getting calls from referees during the game regarding penalties and whatnot? It's one thing I fear about calling the NHL out publicly. The league can be like a mafia of sorts, and not being able to rely on them, Rangers or otherwise, is concerning.

Not much to lose honestly. Season is over.

We'll see how things go next year.