• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

Yes, lets blame the victims for not being prepared enough to be attacked in what was clearly a non-hockey situation instead of blaming the assailant. That seems super, super logical - obviously Tom Wilson couldn't possibly control his actions and had to bodyslam Panarin headfirst into the ice and punch Buch in the head twice while he's face down on the ice because nobody on the Rangers was going to stop him, and that's toughness.

Like, do you hear this? This makes NO SENSE. The Islanders are tough. Tom Wilson is a pussy. If you want to make the argument we're not tough enough to compete with the Islanders, sure. Using this incident as a barometer is like telling a mugging victim they shouldn't have been in that part of the neighborhood, or a rape victim to dress less slutty. It's just blaming the victim for the very controllable actions of someone who clearly went beyond the pale of reasonable - and to read into it further? It's not a hockey play. It has no place on the ice. Full stop - that's it.

Shit, there have been 10 game suspensions for what Wilson did to Buch, let alone what he did to Panarin.

Full stop? The NHL just told you what to think of your statement here. Nobody is taking blame away from Wilson. In fact I'm saying because of Wilson, Backstrom needs to watch his ass. To hope Wilson stops because that makes sense to you is fantasyland shit. Wilson could give a shit what the Rangers think let alone you. He is getting paid to do exactly what he did last night. Make a difference in a hockey game. And boy did he. The Flyers won 2 cups employing this strategy you insist has never belonged in hockey.

Has it ever occurred to you Wilson did not lose control of what he was doing? That what he did last night IS normal behavior for him.? Has it occurred to you that his team wants him to play like that? Did you see their twitter comment? Is it possible that Wilson saw a chance at a free shot at Panarin and took it? In the end what's the result? A $5K fine, Panarin's ego hurt and actually hurt, the Rangers looking defenseless and whinny bitches?

You can be mad at me and whomever here for explaining reality to you. Nobody is discounting Wilson's blame here. To act like this doesn't happen in hockey is either complete ignorance or wishful thinking. To excuse the Rangers for being caught with their pants down here is absolving blame where it is due. Last night was one thing but now they don't even have an answer 48 hours later. It's a joke.

Bringing up rape victims here to argue a hockey point is pathetic and sad. Saying what I'm arguing is equal to saying a rape victim should dress less slutty is completely irresponsible of you. I would report your post but I'd be reporting it to you. Grow the fuck up.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know that. What we do know is that he doesn't respond to NHL discipline or the presence of other goons.

Not to mention they are contending for a cup we are not. They are not interested in going eye for eye a week before the playoffs.

We don't know that. What we do know is that he doesn't respond to NHL discipline or the presence of other goons.

He doesn't respond to toothless NHL discipline. But let's put his fucking career in jeopardy. 20 games was a good first step. And then they shit the bed.

Great - so let's put Laf's career in jeopardy.

The bottom line here is the NHL should be doing the discipline here. They gotta keep this guy off the ice. The fact he was not considered a repeat offender in March was an absolute joke. It was his 5th suspension and he got 7 games. It should have been 40, a full season. Ridiculous.

I don't have a sub to The Athletic, but check this out - https://theathletic.com/2567004/2021/05/04/its-a-joke-nhl-leaves-the-new-york-rangers-to-police-tom-wilson-themselves-but-what-can-they-really-do/

Link -

According to Carp, Parros didn't even want to suspend for the hit on Carlo and only did so after pressure from Bettman.

I don't have a sub to The Athletic, but check this out - https://theathletic.com/2567004/2021/05/04/its-a-joke-nhl-leaves-the-new-york-rangers-to-police-tom-wilson-themselves-but-what-can-they-really-do/

Link -

According to Carp, Parros didn't even want to suspend for the hit on Carlo and only did so after pressure from Bettman.

Parros is actually an idiot

The NHL has an absolutely, painfully obvious other option - fucking throw the book at him and stop letting a thug run your best players. As the Rangers and so many others have made abundantly clear today.

What part don't you get? The NHL decided that what Wilson did was no big deal. This is a guy with a long rap sheet. If they even remotely thought he did anything wrong he'd be suspended. In fact the Panarin thing they stated was just two players wrestling in a scrum which happen every night. The bigger guy just won out. That is there stance.

So besides repeating over and over again what the NHL should do, what is your solution to Wilson. The NHL does not see this as a problem. They are wrong but the Rangers play in the NHL. The NHL has determined the playing field. Adapt or what?

He doesn't respond to toothless NHL discipline. But let's put his fucking career in jeopardy. 20 games was a good first step. And then they shit the bed.

Great — that's not happening, becuase the NHL's discipline is toothless. So, again, what's your solution?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31388495/washington-capitals-tom-wilson-fined-5k-no-further-discipline

The NHL focused on three factors in assessing supplemental discipline for Wilson. The first was his fall on Buchnevich in the crease, which the league felt wasn't egregious and that Wilson didn't drive down on Buchnevich's neck with his stick.

The second was Wilson's gloved punch to the back of Buchnevich's head while the Rangers player was on the ice. The force and location of the punch were a consideration; ultimately, the league considered the incident to be commonplace within the context of a scrum around the net, but worthy of a fine.

When it came to Wilson throwing Panarin to the ice, the league also felt it was commonplace when players engage during a scrum. Wilson didn't seek out Panarin to assail him. Panarin jumped on Wilson's back to pull him away from Strome, and Wilson responded by throwing him to the ice twice. The NHL did not find ample evidence that Wilson pulled Panarin down to the ice by his hair, which was a popular theory on social media on Monday night.

E0ljWBWWQAAdqze?format=jpg&name=medium

Parros is actually an idiot

I actually played against Parros in high school. He went to Delbarton. Funny thing is when we were in high school I didn't even know who he was. Nobody thought twice about how good he was (because he wasn't top 5 on his own team) and he wasn't intimidating at all. To think that a kid from Delbarton, which is probably the preppiest bunch of pussies around, produced a NHL goon is hilarious.

Full stop? The NHL just told you what to think of your statement here. Nobody is taking blame away from Wilson. In fact I'm saying because of Wilson, Backstrom needs to watch his ass. To hope Wilson stops because that makes sense to you is fantasyland shit. Wilson could give a shit what the Rangers think let alone you. He is getting paid to do exactly what he did last night. Make a difference in a hockey game. And boy did he. The Flyers won 2 cups employing this strategy you insist has never belonged in hockey.

1. I do not care what NHL DoPS thinks. They've got no track record to "tell me what to think", so let's push that aside.

2. It is INHERENTLY taking blame from Wilson to act like the Rangers are in some way at fault for what goes well beyond the confines of "tough, physical hockey"

3. Don't disrespect the 70s Flyers by comparing tough, rugged hockey to what Tom Wilson has been doing in the NHL for years. There's a difference between being tough and being a thug, and I'm not sure how many times that needs to be said before you get it.

Has it ever occurred to you Wilson did not lose control of what he was doing? That what he did last night IS normal behavior for him.? Has it occurred to you that his team wants him to play like that? Did you see their twitter comment? Is it possible that Wilson saw a chance at a free shot at Panarin and took it? In the end what's the result? A $5K fine, Panarin's ego hurt and actually hurt, the Rangers looking defenseless and whinny bitches?

Again, you cannot blame the Rangers for Tom Wilson doing what he did. It's thuggery. It's not hockey.

Further, if that's who he is and the Caps sanction that? That's actually worse - this shit has no business in the game. A DoPS with half a spine would put an end to that, because that's actually worse.

You can be mad at me and whomever here for explaining reality to you. Nobody is discounting Wilson's blame here. To act like this doesn't happen in hockey is either complete ignorance or wishful thinking. To excuse the Rangers for being caught with their pants down here is absolving blame where it is due. Last night was one thing but now they don't even have an answer 48 hours later. It's a joke.

Yeah, we are. Parse the difference between being tough and being a thug well enough to have this conversation. Reality - what Wilson did to Buchnevich alone has been a 10+ game suspension in the past. Reality - what he did to Panarin isn't a hockey acceptable play in any era.

Bringing up rape victims here to argue a hockey point is pathetic and sad. Saying what I'm arguing is equal to saying a rape victim should dress less slutty is completely irresponsible of you. I would report your post but I'd be reporting it to you. Grow the fuck up.

No, it's not. It's a basic analogy, and I'd appreciate if you had this conversation without being some kind of fake self-righteous martyr. Defend it without pretending to clutch your pearls.

You don't blame the victim of a crime when there's a criminal - that's bullshit. The Rangers lacking physicality has no bearing on whether Wilson literally goes outside the realm of standard hockey scrumming toward intending to injure or cause direct physical harm. Surely, we can agree that pinning someone to the ice with your stick on their neck and punching their head into the ice is not a hockey play. Surely we can agree that grabbing a guy by the hair and slamming him into the ice is not a hockey play. If you want to lament the Rangers being beaten in board battles, unable to create space, can't throw a hit - fine. Acting like Tom Wilson's behavior was inevitable because the Rangers lack toughness is no different than blaming the victim of a crime for being in the wrong place at the wrong time looking the wrong way.

1. I do not care what NHL DoPS thinks. They've got no track record to "tell me what to think", so let's push that aside.

2. It is INHERENTLY taking blame from Wilson to act like the Rangers are in some way at fault for what goes well beyond the confines of "tough, physical hockey"

3. Don't disrespect the 70s Flyers by comparing tough, rugged hockey to what Tom Wilson has been doing in the NHL for years. There's a difference between being tough and being a thug, and I'm not sure how many times that needs to be said before you get it.

Again, you cannot blame the Rangers for Tom Wilson doing what he did. It's thuggery. It's not hockey.

Further, if that's who he is and the Caps sanction that? That's actually worse - this shit has no business in the game. A DoPS with half a spine would put an end to that, because that's actually worse.

Yeah, we are. Parse the difference between being tough and being a thug well enough to have this conversation. Reality - what Wilson did to Buchnevich alone has been a 10+ game suspension in the past. Reality - what he did to Panarin isn't a hockey acceptable play in any era.

No, it's not. It's a basic analogy, and I'd appreciate if you had this conversation without being some kind of fake self-righteous martyr. Defend it without pretending to clutch your pearls.

You don't blame the victim of a crime when there's a criminal - that's bullshit. The Rangers lacking physicality has no bearing on whether Wilson literally goes outside the realm of standard hockey scrumming toward intending to injure or cause direct physical harm. Surely, we can agree that pinning someone to the ice with your stick on their neck and punching their head into the ice is not a hockey play. Surely we can agree that grabbing a guy by the hair and slamming him into the ice is not a hockey play. If you want to lament the Rangers being beaten in board battles, unable to create space, can't throw a hit - fine. Acting like Tom Wilson's behavior was inevitable because the Rangers lack toughness is no different than blaming the victim of a crime for being in the wrong place at the wrong time looking the wrong way.

Yea, I mean you're wrong so often it's hard to say I agree here...

But the bottom line is anyone defending Wilson under the guise of "old time hockey" never watched old time hockey...Probert would not act that way... Rarely fucked with a skill players or star.

Twitter is a cesspool but even they realize saying this is a Rangers roster problem and not a Tom Wilson problem is asinine.

But the bottom line is anyone defending Wilson under the guise of "old time hockey" never watched old time hockey...Probert would not act that way... Rarely fucked with a skill players or star.

Twitter is a cesspool but even they realize saying this is a Rangers roster problem and not a Tom Wilson problem is asinine.

I'm watching Rangers fans, Devils fans, Islanders fans, Flyers fans, and Penguins fans agree on this on every platform. It's enough already - what Wilson is doing is not "old time hockey", it was never acceptable, and we should have this reaction whether this is Artemi Panarin or Sidney Crosby or Jacob MacDonald on the receiving end of it.

Good. I'm glad they are pushing back.

Honestly I'm not really happy with this statement or any statement they could have made. It shows weakness and signals to me that the Rangers aren't prepared to get even tomorrow night, or maybe even to change their roster to be better equipped to handle these things. Don't get me wrong, Wilson absolutely should have gotten suspended, I just don't like this social media crying to the NHL approach. Respond on the ice, not twitter.

Do none of you realize Wilson does not give a fuck who is on the team he is committing his offenses against?

May 28, 2018 - Wilson blindsides Marchessault - Ryan Reaves is on the bench and he does nothing

September 30, 2018 - Wilson headshots Sundqvist - Chris Thorburn is on the bench and he does nothing

March 5, 2021 - Wilson headshots Carlo - Trent Frederic is on the bench and fights him later in the game

The common thread: Wilson does what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't care who is in the lineup or on the ice. He will fight anyone thrown his way and pay whatever price he has to. He will continue cheapshotting and head shotting. The NHL discipline doesn't seem to work. The "in game policing" doesn't seem to work.

Reeves went after Wilson later. I believe he gave him a concussion...

Honestly I'm not really happy with this statement or any statement they could have made. It shows weakness and signals to me that the Rangers aren't prepared to get even tomorrow night, or maybe even to change their roster to be better equipped to handle these things. Don't get me wrong, Wilson absolutely should have gotten suspended, I just don't like this social media crying to the NHL approach. Respond on the ice, not twitter.

While I don't really see it in this team to respond in turn on the ice, in theory you can do both.

I never took blame away from Tom Wilson. Stop making shit up about me, I have zero interest in being your strawman.

You may not care what DOPS thinks but they are the judge and jury here so obviously their opinion carries weight in reality.

I thought Wilson should have been suspended indefinately. The NHL made a statement loud and clear that the Rangers are on their own here.

Tom Wilson is exactly that player. He's been suspended 30 games in his young career and has shown little remorse even yukking it up last night. The Caps have rewarded him with a letter and the tweet last night applauded his violence and made fun of the Rangers whining about it.

I disagree the Buch aspect on its own doesn't deserve a suspension. The Panarin thing could have been really bad, like murder. The lack of awareness here by the NHL is crazy. They narrowly dodged the biggest sport's story and tragedy in sometime last night. All because a player was out of control and dangerous. Tom Wilson has no place in this league. That's my opinion but here we are.

Stop with the rape shit. How do you double down on this garbage. I do take offense to have a keyboard hero equate my feelings to blaming a rape victim for "dressing to slutty". Have some decency. I'm not some self righteous martyr for taking offense for someone equating my argument as a rape victim shammer. Yeah I do take offense. You would seriously say that to someone's face and not expect a fist in yours? You nonchalantly throw out these offensive analogies then question my righteousness? As if I'm the one going to these extremes and trying to offend. You're a moderator here for christ sake. You constantly engage in this garbage and then blame me for defending my opinion and your unfair and dishonest assessment of it. I would never victim shame a rape victim and I'm not absolving Tom Wilson. Far from it.

Maybe I need to put it into an analogy of my own so you can understand. Tom Wilson is the criminal. The New York Rangers is the defunded police and the DOPS is the courts. The criminal does what he does. The court never holds him accountable and releases him without bail. The police (Rangers) are completely defunded and have no way of getting through to the criminal. Get it?

Probert would never act that way because the opponent always had a missle pointed at Yzerman if he did. Probert was never afraid of retribution against him because he didn't fear anyone. He feared retribution against Yzerman. That's the point. That's the code. The Rangers don't need someone to beat up Wilson. They need someone who's willing to go rag doll Backstrom.

Blaming Wilson is obvious but also pointless to discuss. The league said it was a hockey play and that the Rangers need to deal with it themselves.