• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

Rest of season plus first round of playoffs.

This.

Unfortunately, this isn’t enough but the NHL always seems to go light, even when making a point to talk tough. They will come up with some excuse about all this being during a scrum/fight which in their minds will somehow justify a light suspension.

In reality, with his history, it should be the above plus ALL OF NEXT SEASON and then have to reapply to the league. The problem is, the players association will come to his defense, so it won’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be rest of season + round 1.

It should be "until May 3, 2022", but expecting the NHL to do the right thing and the NHLPA to remember that the victim of a suspension-worthy offense is also an NHLPA member is asking too much.

$5k

Looks like you nailed it man. Would rep you again if I could.

Edit - Maybe I spoke too soon. The DOPS tweet only references the incident with Buchy. Sounds like separate disciplinary action incoming for the Panarin episode. There may be more to come on this...

Looks like you nailed it man. Would rep you again if I could.

Edit - Maybe I spoke too soon. The DOPS tweet only references the incident with Buchy. Sounds like separate disciplinary action incoming for the Panarin episode. There may be more to come on this...

There has to be. That just cannot be ignored. (Yes, I know it's the NHL)

Seems about right. I found people being a little dramatic over the Buchnevich piece, it was a jab at best. He didn't beat on him, and Panarin jumped him from behind, so those consequences are his.

Probably not a popular view here, but I think most of the anger comes from the feeling of helplessness at watching what teams that take a more adult view at roster construction can do to a team that seemingly views roster construction as an afterthought, wherein there's some view that adding 12 top 6 finesse forwards somehow constitutes a hockey team. If the Islanders didn't already shove this down their throats, you can view the Wilson incident as a chaser. This forward roster has no rhyme or reason to it, and it needs to be corrected.

What no one is mentioning, along with the punch to Buch's head with face on ice, is the stick propped up under his neck that Wilson pushes Buch's head down trying to snap his neck over the stick, serious disregard for a fellow hockey player.

Not sure how you came to $22k, but you got the language right. So another winner!

So TBH I didn't read the whole thing, I just read a snippet last night. So I took Wilson's daily salary and cut it by 50%. I didn't read the part w/o exceeding $10000, etc.....since when I googled it only the first part I saw.

How much money does a Player forfeit when fined?

Players may be fined up to 50% of one day's average salary without exceeding $10,000 for the first fine and $15,000 for any subsequent fines within a 12 month calendar period.

https://www.nhl.com/news/player-safety-questions/c-738846#q10

• Like 1

Stupid league

Its time to retaliate ,don't the rangers play the caps one more time ,if the league doesn't take action the Rangers should ,there more than one way to do it,if he wants tons the Dave Shultz of the era and the league doesn't police him,teams are going to have go, hurt their skill players ,ortry to hurt Wilson

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31388495/washington-capitals-tom-wilson-fined-5k-no-further-discipline

And that's that folks:

Wilson will not have a hearing for throwing Rangers star Artemi Panarin to the ice in the ensuing scrum.

The NHL focused on three factors in assessing supplemental discipline for Wilson. The first was his fall on Buchnevich in the crease, which the league felt wasn't egregious and that Wilson didn't drive down on Buchnevich's neck with his stick.

The second was Wilson's gloved punch to the back of Buchnevich's head while the Rangers player was on the ice. The force and location of the punch were a consideration; ultimately, the league considered the incident to be commonplace within the context of a scrum around the net, but worthy of a fine.

When it came to Wilson throwing Panarin to the ice, the league also felt it was commonplace when players engage during a scrum. Wilson didn't seek out Panarin to assail him. Panarin jumped on Wilson's back to pull him away from Strome, and Wilson responded by throwing him to the ice twice. The NHL did not find ample evidence that Wilson pulled Panarin down to the ice by his hair, which was a popular theory on social media on Monday night.