• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tom Wilson Fined $5K for Roughing Buchnevich; Rangers Release Statement

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don’t know how he got up off that ice. Dude died for a second I’m sure of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Even by the standards in those days, I don't know how he was ever allowed to return to the game. Fucking Scott Stevens though, made a career out of dirty ass blindside hits to the head, no respect for that guy.

Now, after two days to breathe: What did the Rangers accomplish with their words?

If their goal was to effect change in the Department of Player Safety, their statement may have had the opposite effect.

The NHL, according to league sources, is not making changes to the Department of Player Safety.

The Rangers must have known that when hitting send. There was zero chance Bettman would allow any league employee, let alone one in a consistently scrutinized role, to be mowed down by an unhappy owner stamping his feet and speaking out of school.

It is clear the statement came directly from MSG Sports chairman Dolan. In the hours before they were fired on Wednesday, Rangers president John Davidson and GM Jeff Gorton were in damage-control mode.

While it may not have had anything to do with their departures from the organization, sources say Davidson and Gorton both attempted to distance themselves from the statement, telling other executives that they did not know of its existence until it was released publicly.

The two long-time hockey men knew the Rangers’ no-holds-barred approach was poorly received by both the league and their front office counterparts.

Not eating your own, especially not in public, is at the core of hockey’s omert?.

As a result, the Rangers’ statement actually seemed to have gained Parros additional backing around the league.

According to multiple team and league sources, the Rangers’ statement galvanized support for Parros and the Department of Player Safety from other teams and general managers in feedback that was delivered to the commissioner’s office. That support did not wane after gloves littered the Garden ice on Wednesday night.

Nearly half of the NHL’s general managers – the gatekeepers of the league who collectively influence the policy that governs Parros’ department – were canvassed for this story and not one expressed concern or doubt about Parros’ competence.

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-rangers-expensive-statement-galvanized-support-for-george-parros-1.1635561

Even by the standards in those days, I don't know how he was ever allowed to return to the game. Fucking Scott Stevens though, made a career out of dirty ass blindside hits to the head, no respect for that guy.

Same here. Hate him

Spoken like someone who believes they can get away with murder. Why even bother calling Panarin if you are going to publicly state that you feel like it was a routine scrum? If he had any remorse, or if he had taken the conversation with Panarin to heart in any way, the wording would have been different("It was an unfortunate incident"etc.). It also gives me the idea that no one from the league spoke to him about the incident.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31405488/washington-capitals-tom-wilson-eager-move-new-york-rangers-incidents

ARLINGTON, Va. -- Tom Wilson reached out to Artemi Panarin in the aftermath of the most talked-about incident in hockey this week and says he is ready to move on from his latest controversy.

In his first interview since a scrum against the Rangers that left Panarin injured, led to a $5,000 fine and sparked a fight-filled rematch two nights later, the Washington Capitals forward said Friday he is good to go after an upper-body injury and glad the New York star is doing better.

"I'm feeling good," said Wilson, who appeared to have cuts on his right hand from a fight with Brendan Smith on Wednesday night. "I'm glad Panarin is doing well. He's better. I reached out to him, and that's really what matters right now."

Wilson drew the ire of much of the NHL for his role in a scrum Monday night that the Rangers said caused Panarin to miss the final three games of the regular season with a lower-body injury. He was fined $5,000 for roughing Pavel Buchnevich but did not receive any supplemental discipline from the league's department of player safety for throwing Panarin to the ice moments later -- a decision the Rangers protested and were fined $250,000 for saying disciplinary czar George Parros wasn't fit to remain in his job.

"It seemed [like a] fairly routine hockey scrum to me, and I think that was kind of the feeling from both players in the box, and then obviously it took on a new life after the game," Wilson said. "Those scrums are chaotic and there's lots of stuff going on, but I didn't think too much of it at the time."

Given Wilson's size at 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and "the attention on him," coach Peter Laviolette told him this week that he needs to be a little more careful. "He gets looked at in a certain way," Laviolette said. "He has to play his game, he has to be hard to play against, he has to be physical, but in the same sense, he's got to know that eyes are on him as well."

"After the play, I would have never thought that all this would have blown up," Wilson said. "Nothing I say right now is going to change anybody's opinion. They've already made that up, and I've just got to keep moving forward."

i, too, have fairly routine scrums with individuals who i am both physically and mentally capable of choke slamming, where i know i'll have no remorse if i do, that i go ahead and do anyway because im not quite right in the head. did i mention that this is all in spite of a set of hockey talents that nobody else has?