• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Artemi Panarin Suffers Lower-Body Injury; Out for Remainder of Season

Phil

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. They benched a guy for slamming the penalty box door. Says a lot about the mindset of the coach and GM. No emotion allowed.

It's a valid point to be honest. One of only two guys with any kind of temper. The other one got traded to LAK. You get rid of everyone with balls and stuff like this is a result.

Well. They benched a guy for slamming the penalty box door. Says a lot about the mindset of the coach and GM. No emotion allowed.

Yeah, they should have had DeAngelo on the ice so we'd have had three players get their asses handed to them by Tom Wilson instead of two!

Guy loses a one-punch fight with his backup goalie and we're bringing this back up in a thread around an opponent crossing a line that gets crossed like once a decade in the league. As if somehow not planning for an opponent having a psychotic breakdown on the ice is the fault of anyone but the player who had the breakdown.

Deterrence DOES NOT WORK with this guy. He'd have done this to Mark Stone, even if Reaves was right there. He'd have done it to Gaudreau even with Tkachuk. Pretending anything changes that outcome is folly.

Yeah, they should have had DeAngelo on the ice so we'd have had three players get their asses handed to them by Tom Wilson instead of two!

Guy loses a one-punch fight with his backup goalie and we're bringing this back up in a thread around an opponent crossing a line that gets crossed like once a decade in the league. As if somehow not planning for an opponent having a psychotic breakdown on the ice is the fault of anyone but the player who had the breakdown.

Deterrence DOES NOT WORK with this guy. He'd have done this to Mark Stone, even if Reaves was right there. He'd have done it to Gaudreau even with Tkachuk. Pretending anything changes that outcome is folly.

No, the ex/mods are.

The slamming of the door was brought up.

• Like 1

DeAngelo and Lemieux aren't changing the outcome. They're too small to make a difference. Both would have had their faces handed to them in a cup. I'm all for adding some protection to the team, but it needs to meet the height requirements to even ride the roller coaster in order to be effective.

There's a reason Wilson runs amok and goes largely unchallenged — there's effectively a small handful of guys left in the league who can actually go toe-to-toe with him. Basically, Ryan Reaves, who coincidentally has just one year remaining on his deal (1.75 mil).

“I am the solution to your Tom Wilson problem.”

• Like 1

DeAngelo and Lemieux aren't changing the outcome. They're too small to make a difference. Both would have had their faces handed to them in a cup. I'm all for adding some protection to the team, but it needs to meet the height requirements to even ride the roller coaster in order to be effective.

There's a reason Wilson runs amok and goes largely unchallenged — there's effectively a small handful of guys left in the league who can actually go toe-to-toe with him. Basically, Ryan Reaves, who coincidentally has just one year remaining on his deal (1.75 mil).

“I am the solution to your Tom Wilson problem.”

I'd much rather have someone focusing on/running Lemieux than Panarin or Buchnevich.

Avery wasnt a heavy weight enforcer, but he took the attention. Not only that, he had emotion that spread throughout the team and showed on the ice.

I don't think we can look at last night, thought. It's been an issue all season. Lack of toughness, will, balls, etc. Last night was just the cherry on top.

I'd much rather have someone focusing on/running Lemieux than Panarin or Buchnevich.

Avery wasnt a heavy weight enforcer, but he took the attention. Not only that, he had emotion that spread throughout the team and showed on the ice.

I don't think we can look at last night, thought. It's been an issue all season. Lack of toughness, will, balls, etc. Last night was just the cherry on top.

Oh, I don't disagree with the sentiment, and you know that. I just disagree that in this instance either of them would actually have made a tangible difference. Right attitude, wrong size.

At some point, if the league won't step in, there isn't much the Rangers or other teams can do about this, short of going back to the enforcer system, stocking the roster with goons, and having regular donnybrooks. If that's what the league wants, that's what it will get. The fact that the Caps laughed it all off and Wilson hammed it up in the box should certainly be considered in assessing punishment. It won't. After all, boys will be boys. They sucker punch guys lying face down on the ice. They grab guys by the hair and slam them to the ice. It's just boys. Let the boys play.

As for Wilson, bringing in goons to fight him won't deter him. He does pretty well in bouts with goons. The only thing to do is suspend him for a year, as the league once did with Ted Green long ago. Also, watch the players association come to Wilson's defense. Who are Buchnevich and Panarin? Are they members? Nah.

I gotta say, watching that shit last night reminded me of the days when I was a kid around 7 or 8 years old and watched the Flyers guys like Kelly, Schultz, Holmgren, Bridgeman and the rest run over the Rangers. I watched Schultz rag doll Dale Rolfe, who wasn't even a fighter, and basically beat the shit out of him while the rest of the team just watched.

With the exception of the team under Keenan, and probably Torts, the Rangers have never been the team to "be afraid of".

I'm kinda at a crossroads with this one, because if you leave it to the NHL to levy justice I just don't think the punishment is ever going to equal the crime. But the question that comes to mind is that if you have a guy like Reeves on the team, does this shit go as far as we saw last night?

I'm curious to see what the NHL does about this one; Simply put, if the NHL decides to go easy on Wilson, and make it a slap on the wrist, they basically are making other teams employ enforcers again to do the real police work. I think everyone's watching this one closely though.

One thing is for sure though; When Matt Martin took out Trouba, all the air went out of the team, and the Rangers went down like a $3 hooker in that game.

Wilson basically shreds an entire 5 man, and the Rangers cough up 4 consecutive goals to lose...only to surrender an empty netter to the guy who pissed all over them.

Maybe there is a place for enforcers again in the NHL???

Maybe we've come full circle???

Whatever decision the NHL makes on this is going to be very interesting. It actually comes at a very good time in that as the Rangers continue to build, their eyes will be wide open as to what to employ to help, and possibly bring in a very dangerous deterrent "watch dog" as insurance for these young talented kids.

I gotta say, watching that shit last night reminded me of the days when I was a kid around 7 or 8 years old and watched the Flyers guys like Kelly, Schultz, Holmgren, Bridgeman and the rest run over the Rangers. I watched Schultz rag doll Dale Rolfe, who wasn't even a fighter, and basically beat the shit out of him while the rest of the team just watched.

With the exception of the team under Keenan, and probably Torts, the Rangers have never been the team to "be afraid of".

I'm kinda at a crossroads with this one, because if you leave it to the NHL to levy justice I just don't think the punishment is ever going to equal the crime. But the question that comes to mind is that if you have a guy like Reeves on the team, does this shit go as far as we saw last night?

I'm curious to see what the NHL does about this one; Simply put, if the NHL decides to go easy on Wilson, and make it a slap on the wrist, they basically are making other teams employ enforcers again to do the real police work. I think everyone's watching this one closely though.

One thing is for sure though; When Matt MArtin took out Trouba, all the air went out of the team, and the Rangers went down like a $3 hooker in that game.

Wilson basically shreds an entire 5 man, and the Rangers cough up 4 consecutive goals to lose...only to surrender and empty netter to the guy who pissed all over them.

Maybe there is a place for enforcers aging in the NHL???

Maybe we've come full circle???

Whatever decision the NHL makes on this is going to be very interesting. It actually comes at a very good time in that as the Rangers continue to build, their eyes will be wide open as to what to employ to help, and possibly a very dangerous deterrent "watch dog" as insurance for these young talented kids.

I think it's why JD/Gorton drafted guys like Cuylle and Robertson and traded up to get Schneider. They know the Rangers need it and I expect them to dip into free agency to address it as well. You beat me to it on the Rolfe scenario. The Rangers, overall, have never really been known for their physicality. Historically they've been built based upon skill and speed.

I think it's why JD/Gorton drafted guys like Cuylle and Robertson and traded up to get Schneider. They know the Rangers need it and I expect them to dip into free agency to address it as well. You beat me to it on the Rolfe scenario. The Rangers, overall, have never really been known for their physicality. Historically they've been built based upon skill and speed.

It's time though I think, Sharpy. We can't have teams tearing up these kids, and body slamming our $11 million dollar players.

I think NHL is going to dictate what direction we go in here....and I don't mind bringing in an "insurance policy". ;)

Oh, I don't disagree with the sentiment, and you know that. I just disagree that in this instance either of them would actually have made a tangible difference. Right attitude, wrong size.

I know.

What I am trying to say, is that, when you get to where it was last night - it's too late. It's been a problem we've wanted corrected... and it just keeps building against them.

Having a Lemieux is better than having nothing.

And I'd much rather have Glass, Dorsett, Lemieux get ragdolled than Panarin.

I know.

What I am trying to say, is that, when you get to where it was last night - it's too late. It's been a problem we've wanted corrected... and it just keeps building against them.

Having a Lemieux is better than having nothing.

And I'd much rather have Glass, Dorsett, Lemieux get ragdolled than Panarin.

I mean, yes, but that's not really apples-to-apples. Wilson doesn't respect "the code" and he plays too high in the lineup for a Glass, Dorsett, or Lemieux to get rag-dolled instead of Panarin. The value of these types of players is that they are willing to do something about it when it happens, which can lift the team's spirits instead of what we saw last night, which was a 3-2 lead evaporate to a 6-3 loss with Wilson of all people scoring the final goal.

"Now they know they own you."

It's time though I think, Sharpy. We can't have teams tearing up these kids, and body slamming our $11 million dollar players.

I think NHL is going to dictate what direction we go in here....and I don't mind bringing in an "insurance policy". ;)

For sure, and I think it's absolutely part of the plan.

At some point, if the league won't step in, there isn't much the Rangers or other teams can do about this, short of going back to the enforcer system, stocking the roster with goons, and having regular donnybrooks. If that's what the league wants, that's what it will get. The fact that the Caps laughed it all off and Wilson hammed it up in the box should certainly be considered in assessing punishment. It won't. After all, boys will be boys. They sucker punch guys lying face down on the ice. They grab guys by the hair and slam them to the ice. It's just boys. Let the boys play.

As for Wilson, bringing in goons to fight him won't deter him. He does pretty well in bouts with goons. The only thing to do is suspend him for a year, as the league once did with Ted Green long ago. Also, watch the players association come to Wilson's defense. Who are Buchnevich and Panarin? Are they members? Nah.

Agree with most of this. Only thing I don't is that Tom Wilson would have a tough time against an actual heavyweight. They don't exist anymore. I do believe that the Rangers should have somebody in their system that plays the goon role and is a heavyweight. They obviously need guys that play every night that can at least stand up and fight back.

The Rangers should seriously be signing the biggest animal in hockey they can find right now just for 1 game. And that is not to go after Wilson. They should go after Ovi or Backstrom or Carlson if any play. That is the only thing that will stop this. When Wilson's teammates don't want anything to do with him, this stops. Obviously suspensions do nothing to change his behavior.

Question. Do suspensions? So if this guy is going to play in your division what is your idea to protect your players? The only thing that will possibly get through is an eye for an eye. Not his eye but his star teammates. Do you really think the Caps are going to condone this shit if his actions are equally reciprocated on Ovis's head? Suspensions don't put the pieces of a fractured skull back together. At that point the damage is done. If Panarin was seriously injured last night these conversations wouldn't even matter right now. The conversation would be how did the NHL let this guy get to this point. It's obvious this guy will not change from suspensions. Minus him being banned for life which is never happening. The Rangers have to have a deterrent and the Caps have to be given some old school medicine.

The guys on their bench feel invincible because they have the biggest baddest guy out there. That needs to be flipped;. The guys on their bench need to feel uneasy that somebody is going to do them what their teammate does. Tom Wilson's presence should make Ovi less safe not more.

Suspensions would work if they actually had teeth. But the NHL and NHLPA have collectively bargained rules that allow for suspensions to carry almost no weight.

The fact that Tom Wilson was not considered a "repeat offender" when he received his 5th suspension a few months ago is evidence of that.

Question. Do suspensions? So if this guy is going to play in your division what is your idea to protect your players? The only thing that will possibly get through is an eye for an eye. Not his eye but his star teammates. Do you really think the Caps are going to condone this shit if his actions are equally reciprocated on Ovis's head? Suspensions don't put the pieces of a fractured skull back together. At that point the damage is done. If Panarin was seriously injured last night these conversations wouldn't even matter right now. The conversation would be how did the NHL let this guy get to this point. It's obvious this guy will not change from suspensions. Minus him being banned for life which is never happening. The Rangers have to have a deterrent and the Caps have to be given some old school medicine.

Honestly? They're hit or miss. Sometimes they work (Marchand comes to mind, as does Radko Gudas, Shawn Thornton, a few others) and players learn to play within bounds. Sometimes they don't - case in point here. I don't see enough to believe that eye for an eye works here - in part because Tom Wilson doesn't actually respond to deterrents, and in part because as I said earlier, this is a (thankfully) quite rare thing we're talking about, and it's gotten rarer as DOPS has made it clear that this level of on-ice violence isn't acceptable. Aside from Tom Wilson - who else is doing this shit on the regular? It's working well enough.

That said- a deterrent doesn't make Wilson not snap. It might make the rest of the bench feel a bit more scared when he does, but even then - do you really want to have our guy go out there and do to Backstrom what Wilson did to Panarin? I don't. That's bush league thug shit.

Suspensions would work if they actually had teeth. But the NHL and NHLPA have collectively bargained rules that allow for suspensions to carry almost no weight.

The fact that Tom Wilson was not considered a "repeat offender" when he received his 5th suspension a few months ago is evidence of that.

This. If they were structured like, say, the MLB, where you can legitimately see guys lose entire seasons for misconduct, it'd be a different story.