• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If They Fire Quinn, When?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason he went to canucks is because he didnt want to split the limelight with Gretzky. His ego is bigger than hell.

Is that really the reason? I thought it was money related. Wow, that's petty. Wayne signed here basically because Messier was here too. lol

Is that really the reason? I thought it was money related. Wow, that's petty. Wayne signed here basically because Messier was here too. lol

i doubt it was money. there was no cap back then and the rangers are one of the richest teams in the league

i doubt it was money. there was no cap back then and the rangers are one of the richest teams in the league

Right. I thought maybe there was still some haggling over the contract, though. But, yeah, in those days they weren't too shy about spending money anyway.

Right. I thought maybe there was still some haggling over the contract, though. But, yeah, in those days they weren't too shy about spending money anyway.

especially not for Mess. Him and Gretz on the same team could've went all the way. he didnt want the share the glory if they did.

especially not for Mess. Him and Gretz on the same team could've went all the way. he didnt want the share the glory if they did.

That is really lame. lol They had a great run in '97 there. I felt really badly for Wayne after that because then Messier leaves, a big reason why he signed here, and then he was kind of alone.

That is really lame. lol They had a great run in '97 there. I felt really badly for Wayne after that because then Messier leaves, a big reason why he signed here, and then he was kind of alone.

He had Sundstrom who could've scored 100 goals if he had any hands

Heh, true. I mean, they still had guys like Leetch and Graves, etc. But, I still felt badly for him that a big reason why he signed here just left in a hissy, you know?

and the rangers brought him back to retire here cause they needed some entertainment during the dark age circus. And those bows were so fucking ridiculous. They make me cringe

If I’m the Rangers, I pony up whatever Martin wants to stay. The work he did with our young defense this year, and our defensive scheme as a whole, cannot and should not be overlooked.

If he is interested in the HC gig (again, if it even becomes open if we fire Quinn), then I would certainly have no problems with him throwing his hat in the ring.

We don’t live in an ideal world, but for me, ideally, next years coaching staff would consist of Julien being the HC, Martin being kept on in his current role and someone like Adam Oates being brought in to help out the PP and faceoffs.

He's a goner.

Babcock, no fvkcing way. Difference between him and BELOW is while some players don't love playing for Tortarella, they universally like and respect him as a guy. Except Phil Kessel, but he never actually played for him.

Torts II is in the realm of possibility.

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/new-york-rangers-changes-reignites-jack-eichel-talk-and-mike-babcock-lobbying-to-be-next-head-coach/?fbclid=IwAR0GviuuzQgw-10FuejyGoIKKxJjU1kko-FklpW9pk11NmbygjWbdvxWStI

He's a goner.

Babcock, no fvkcing way. Difference between him and BELOW is while some players don't love playing for Tortarella, they universally like and respect him as a guy. Except Phil Kessel, but he never actually played for him.

Torts II is in the realm of possibility.

https://www.thedailygoalhorn.com/new-york-rangers-changes-reignites-jack-eichel-talk-and-mike-babcock-lobbying-to-be-next-head-coach/?fbclid=IwAR0GviuuzQgw-10FuejyGoIKKxJjU1kko-FklpW9pk11NmbygjWbdvxWStI

I would love Torts back. I never wanted him gone in the first place. I'm not sure how many in the Rangers org wanted him out, but Lundqvist did and he was coming up on free agency so obviously he won that battle. Personally, I think the team as currently constructed has the kind of top line talent that just didn't exist for his first stint here. I always felt like this was the main thing that held the team back during Torts and AV's years, which prevented them from finishing the job and winning a Cup. Special teams in particular are incredibly important and the Rangers' PP just absolutely sucked because the skill wasn't there. If he could get this team playing like he had our early 2010 teams playing, minus asking certain guys to block shots with their face, I think the skill is there to make a serious impact. The Islanders currently have the same problem we did back then. Teams like this are very competitive but the odds are stacked so high against them being able to run the table in the playoffs. You have to find a balance to create a dynasty.

the reason he went to canucks is because he didnt want to split the limelight with Gretzky. His ego is bigger than hell.

Way off. Neil Smith didn't want him here any longer. Mess had a lot of control and say in tge organization, often going over Smiths head.

Smith used Messiers free agency as an opportunity to start anew as he signed Sakic to an offersheet. I believe Smiths words were something like "how long do we have to pay him for 1994." I believe Messier also held out in 95 and signed just in time to make it to the season opener/banner ceremony in that lockout season.

The Messier/Smith relationship was almost as rocky as Smith/Keenan.

From the dailyhorn article

Dolan on Torts: I miss John Tortorella. I’d visit Torts before a game and we would trade barbs for 10 minutes, he’d tell me about his [lousy] cable TV service and I’d be sitting there saying, “You can’t clear the puck out of your zone, what the hell’s wrong with you?” and he’d strike back and then play the game and I miss that. I’m developing a relationship with Alain [Vigneault] and he’s also a good guy, but Torts and I had a special relationship. It was fun for me. He banned me from the locker room for a while, all in fun. I miss that.