• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If They Fire Quinn, When?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the multitude of excuses (Covid, practice times, Zibanejad, Panarin/Putin, etc.) my guess is the closest would be shortly before American Thanksgiving if things don't look markedly improved by then.

Given the multitude of excuses (Covid, practice times, Zibanejad, Panarin/Putin, etc.) my guess is the closest would be shortly before American Thanksgiving if things don't look markedly improved by then.

Bit of a gamble. If they really wait until then, presumably things would be so bad, that it would basically mean writing off the 2021-2022 season as well.

That's my guess.

Like it or not, management will see this season as progress and will give him the reins again.

Which sucks, because if he's not going to last two months, I rather a new coach have the summer and training camp to try and prepare.

The thing is, if you wait until next season, the same problems that exist now could persist without it being evident until crunch time in the last portion of the season. There will be enough open ice against enough opponents for the Rangers to have an excellent record over the first half.

I know the Islanders are tough to score against and are basically the antithesis of the Rangers. But, that was some uninspired hockey if I've ever seen it. Quinn mentioned after the last game that it wasn't as bad as the first, but still bad. That's your takeaway from that? That was all bad. I don't care if the second game was more competitive. They should be ashamed of themselves. Unless they are just going to bum through these last few games, perhaps sending a message they've officially quit on Quinn, I don't know. As it stands, they're going to go out like total bitches and just throw their hands in the air at it all.

Better question is who. Gallant still has not signed off on his Kraken contract offer. Brindamour's Canes situation is rumored to be acrimonious.

Recall though Gorton circled back to Quinn after Quinn turned down the job 1x. Firing him would be a failure for Gorton. But keeping him might be throwing good money after bad.

In fairness Quinn says the right things in every postgame, but doesn't appear to translate to his team vs. the better divisional opponents. Is that a coaching failure, players tuning him out, players with their own agendas. Would like to thinks Gortona nd Davidson have a better handle on that than anyone here. The personnel is clearly an issue. Who ever the coach is, you have to have the likes of Panarin and Zib buy in and not default to the perimeter stuff. Or at least change the personnel to address that.

You might need a bit of a personnel change, but who knows. I didn't know that Gallant was offered a contract by Seattle, so that's interesting. If he goes there, it dries up the coaching market that much more. Do they just hire from within and promote Knoblauch? JD is in charge now and wasn't here when Quinn was hired, so he's not really his guy. I don't know if that factors into anything. As you said, we are seeing him get outcoached by pretty much every good team they're up against. Having said that, last season they were playing some of the best hockey down the stretch with him as the coach. Do you hope Zibinejad is closer to his form last year? Do you hope the young players continue to grow? Lafreniere has looked much better in the second half, especially now that Quinn moved him up. The goaltending was also pretty bad to start the year. I understand people not caring for Quinn, but those were things that were kind of out of his control that hurt them out of the gate in a shortened season.

If they were smart they'd do it in the offseason after we miss the playoffs so the new guy has a whole camp to get setup. I think there's a reasonable chance that this happens, even though I could also buy the management sees this season as progress argument, despite not really agreeing with that synthesis.

Quinn deserves every ounce of shit he gets for a bunch of his decisions: obsession of Howden, hatred of Gauthier, mishandling of goalies to start the year, too short of a leash on young players, too long of a leash on Zibanejad, PP personnel and time mismanagement, etc. Is it enough to sink him? Could be. I'd part with him when combining those reasons along with my thoughts that I just don't think he'll be the guy to take us over the hump anyway, so might as well get someone new in now. Time's a wasting. However, a strong argument can be made that if the Rangers recognize this as a roster makeup problem, which it definitely is to some degree (I think a lot), that makes the argument to fire Quinn weaker. I don't think it's particularly fair to have unrealistic expectations for team success if you admit the roster isn't built to win or compete enough against good teams yet.

Gotta do it before next camp. Maybe even before the season ends to send a message to the roster.

They need to make roster changes and I'd think they would like a new fresh start with a new coach along with the new players with a new philosophy/playing style/system.

Wasn’t he a borderline disaster in Colorado? I could be remembering that wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, you’re not. He was dreadful as a coach. Made the playoffs in his first year, and got progressively worse each season. And they had a pretty decent team each of those years

No, you’re not. He was dreadful as a coach. Made the playoffs in his first year, and got progressively worse each season. And they had a pretty decent team each of those years

That’s a bit of a stretch to say dreadful I guess. They went from a 39 point team to 3rd best in the entire NhL in his first year as a coach. Second and third year weren’t as good but I think he had a falling out with Sakic and difference in philosophy. I don’t really want Roy but that’s a pretty impressive first year in coaching.