• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shake Up Coming After No Show

Capt

This one is going to reverberate within the walls of the Rangers’ executive suite this summer. Or at least it should.

Because on yet another night opposing a team that was dedicated to taking away their time and space, in yet another game where will was going to be a more important ingredient than skill, the Blueshirts came up puny.

Once again, the Rangers’ marquee players, the ones with upper-echelon talent, the veteran ones who are supposed to show the way to the phalanx of youngsters, had nothing. Artemi Panarin was shockingly inept and never once was a factor in this one, failing to send one shot on net. Mika Zibanejad was slightly better but not by a margin distinctive enough to make the slightest bit of difference.

The playoff dream has all but evaporated, the Blueshirts slipping six points behind the Bruins and seven points behind the Islanders. The tragic number for elimination is five points as pertains to Boston. This almost seems like an afterthought.

This falls back on the leadership group. This also falls back on David Quinn, the head coach whose team not only lost decisively, but seemed lost from the get-go. The players were scattered and disconnected in all three zones. This one did not reflect well on anyone.

When time and space are at a premium, the Rangers don’t have either the mentality or the personnel to adapt. They are a one-trick team. This is not a matter of being young. This is a matter of not having the necessities.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/29/rangers-shakeup-coming-after-no-show-islanders-loss/

--

Here's my wish. I know never going to happen:

Trade with Winnipeg: Zib/Miller/1st for Pierre Luc Dubois and Adam Lowry

Trade with Minnesota: Chytil/Robertson for Jordan Greenway

UFA to sign: Center Cedric Paquette, Wing Barclay Goodrow

Lineup:

Laffy Dubois Greenway

Panarin Strome Kravtsov

Kreider Lowry Kakko

Barron Paquette Goodrow

Lindgren. Fox

Jones. Trouba

Smith Lundqvist

Extras:

Blackwell, Reaunenen, Robertson, Rooney

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea Paquette is a UFA. I'm 100% in on signing him. Goodrow, too. Those are both solid suggestions, and can go a long way in helping to create a legitimate identity fourth-line with Barron in tow.

I'm not sure the Jets trade is doable, though. I agree Dubois would be a smart add, but there's no way you're getting Winnipeg to say yes to Zibanejad who they'll have for a season before he walks.

Couple years out, easy. But if he pans out like they hope, he's going to be a really nice piece to add to the mix three or four years from now.

I watched some of his highlights...good lord!!!

Here's "Cuylle Hand Luke"

I had no idea Paquette is a UFA. I'm 100% in on signing him. Goodrow, too. Those are both solid suggestions, and can go a long way in helping to create a legitimate identity fourth-line with Barron in tow.

I'm not sure the Jets trade is doable, though. I agree Dubois would be a smart add, but there's no way you're getting Winnipeg to say yes to Zibanejad who they'll have for a season before he walks.

Agreed on the Jets. I doubt Dubois signs with them either though and although restricted he has only 1 year left as well. I guess the offer would have to change subtracting Zib and putting someone else there, obviously someone with big value. I guess my point is that he'd be a top target for me.

Calgary is another team you'd probably keep an eye on as all signs point to a rebuild. Lindholm and Tkachuck are the obvious targets there. They wouldn't be interested in Zib either.

Reality is Zib is a deadline trade piece next year. Of course he could play his way into another contract but to me I've seen enough of his fancy style of play.

Paquette is a pretty good face off guy I believe too.

That's the one thing that really makes me wanna throw a beer bottle through my TV screen, Cappy!

I think we lost every single face off in the 1st period last night...and we sucked the rest of the way too.

On a scale of 1-10 on face offs, we rate somewhere close to "FUCKING TERRI-BAD" :rofl:

Agreed on the Jets. I doubt Dubois signs with them either though and although restricted he has only 1 year left as well. I guess the offer would have to change subtracting Zib and putting someone else there, obviously someone with big value. I guess my point is that he'd be a top target for me.

The problem is, they already did this deal with Laine. You'd need another Laine-type player. Someone who would undeniably step in and fill that void, which the Rangers don't really have to offer. Chytil isn't that (reliable top-six) player, and Zib is a year away from free agency. Dubois is the right kind of player, no doubt, but getting him is really complicated if you're trying to do it via trade.

Calgary is another team you'd probably keep an eye on as all signs point to a rebuild. Lindholm and Tkachuck are the obvious targets there. They wouldn't be interested in Zib either.

Yup. Tkachuk alone would fundamentally change so much for this team.

Reality is Zib is a deadline trade piece next year. Of course he could play his way into another contract but to me I've seen enough of his fancy style of play.

I don't think this is true. If he is, the Rangers are missing the playoffs for a fifth-straight year. I know he has another year left on his deal, but it really feels like now would be the best time to either signal you're keeping him long-term, or move him this off-season and reimagine the top-six when you have the best flexibility window to do so.

I don't think Gorton and JD are oblivious to the fact that this is a soft, one trick team. If you look at what they drafted last year they are obviously trying to beef it up going forward.

I think their logic is that you have to play the kids right now, which is the right decision. Unfortunately none of them, nor the other top 6 vets are actually hard bodies. Laf was supposed to have an edge to his game which I have yet to see. Kreider is defining a whole new generation of power-less forwards. And Strome, Panarin, Zib, are all skill guys.

But this goes beyond throwing hits and being tough. This team doesnt battle for the puck. Their board play is only good when they are able to make sneaky and quick passes but dump and chase is not their forte. They get knocked off way too easily and hardly if ever walk away from 50/50 battles. The easy fix to this is over hauling that 4th line as has been mentioned. Howden needs to go- simply doesnt add anything to the line up. Im all for keeping Rooney or Blackwell but not both unless one wants to sit most of the year. And for god sakes bring in someone who can win a faceoff.

As for the top 3 lines we all know someone will get moved sooner or later. I dont know who or how to approach this but I wouldnt be surprised of they gave that top 9 another year to see what sticks and what doesnt.

Faceoffs have been bad for years, but I think they may have hit a new low this year, which is saying something. It's been neglected for quite some time.

And honestly how hard is it to sign a guy who can take Rooney or Howden's role but also win a face-off. Those guys a littered throughout the waiver wire and the AHL hoping for one last chance. I mean we currently have Howden with 1 empty net goal all year getting 12 minutes a night. The excuse is his pk, which he is currently like their 6 best pk forward if that.

I don't think Gorton and JD are oblivious to the fact that this is a soft, one trick team. If you look at what they drafted last year they are obviously trying to beef it up going forward.

I think their logic is that you have to play the kids right now, which is the right decision. Unfortunately none of them, nor the other top 6 vets are actually hard bodies. Laf was supposed to have an edge to his game which I have yet to see. Kreider is defining a whole new generation of power-less forwards. And Strome, Panarin, Zib, are all skill guys.

But this goes beyond throwing hits and being tough. This team doesnt battle for the puck. Their board play is only good when they are able to make sneaky and quick passes but dump and chase is not their forte. They get knocked off way too easily and hardly if ever walk away for 50/50 battles. The easy fix to this is over hauling that 4th line as has been mentioned. Howden needs to go- simply doesnt add anything to the line up. Im all for keeping Rooney or Blackwell but not both unless one wants to sit most of the year. And for god sakes bring in someone who can win a faceoff.

As for the top 3 lines we all know someone will get moved sooner or later. I dont know who or how to approach this but I wouldnt be surprised of they gave that top 9 another year to see what sticks and what doesnt.

Why in the fuck if you are JD or Gorton would you allow the youngest roster in the league to enter the season without any toughness, compete, or leadership? Just the fact that you have multiple guys trying to get comfortable in the league you should have some guys out there to stand up for them. Again not fighting but some guys who can push back. They are in a division with the Bruins, Islanders and Tom Wilson and the Caps. That alone is malpractice. Tom Wilson and Matt Martin run around every time we play them and have for years. That only seems normal because the Rangers have allowed it to become normal. That is insane. Protect your kids and their development. Not to mention put them in to a team environment where there is always pushback. Losing games happen and having bad seasons can happen too. You cannot have a culture of being a pushover team.

Discipline should start with how a player competes and his desire to win. As soon as a players battle level drops is the exact time when a benching should occur. Avoid going to the net costs you ice time not gets you 2 full minutes on the power play. The only coach that understood that in the past 20 years was Torts. Torts built the success that AV benefited from then gradually destroyed. It's time to bring in another no nonsense coach players be damned. Along with the coach be prepared for a roster makeover that takes a couple of years.

To be honest bring back Torts.

Good thing Keirik isn't on yet....I know what follows these posts!! :rofl:

Seriously though why wasn't Boyle here this year? Unless he just wasn't able to play anymore. He's a huge upgrade to Howden and better at everything Howden does that he supposedly dresses for.

Why in the fuck if you are JD or Gorton would you allow the youngest roster in the league to enter the season without any toughness, compete, or leadership? Just the fact that you have multiple guys trying to get comfortable in the league you should have some guys out there to stand up for them. Again not fighting but some guys who can push back. They are in a division with the Bruins, Islanders and Tom Wilson and the Caps. That alone is malpractice. Tom Wilson and Matt Martin run around every time we play them and have for years. That only seems normal because the Rangers have allowed it to become normal. That is insane. Protect your kids and their development. Not to mention put them in to a team environment where there is always pushback. Losing games happen and having bad seasons can happen too. You cannot have a culture of being a pushover team.

Discipline should start with how a player competes and his desire to win. As soon as a players battle level drops is the exact time when a benching should occur. Avoid going to the net costs you ice time not gets you 2 full minutes on the power play. The only coach that understood that in the past 20 years was Torts. Torts built the success that AV benefited from then gradually destroyed. It's time to bring in another no nonsense coach players be damned. Along with the coach be prepared for a roster makeover that takes a couple of years.

To be fair, they did go after Chara hard, and likely others, for exactly this reason, but the coach can really only use what he's been given to use. Composition issues are a front office problem.

Would. If for no other reason than to drill into everyone that structure fucking matters. Say what you will about how far he took clubs, shelf lives, and all that — Torts teams rarely took nights off, and on the ones they did, players paid for it.

The hard part of this is identifying the player that steps in and does it. We're almost assuredly looking for a two-way center who can go toe-to-toe with Strome's production and makes us gritty and tough?

Might as well be looking for unicorn cum in Eritrea.

• Like 1

Not disagreeing with you on anything here. Quinn's benchings have lost all effect, it just seems like hes trying to be a hard ass but its not being done effectively. I am not sure who was on the market last season that could have added toughness and fit under the cap but generally I agree with everything you're saying.

Though I dont see Torts coming back.

Cuylle and Berard both have really good upside for bottom six type players. I think they'll be solid.

It's not even about being bottom 6 guys, its about being complementary players. If Cuylle can work himself up to a line with a passer, that shots going to be key.

And Berard (probably a bit further away after being overhyped at the WJCs) could come in and do the same on one of the top 3 lines. The Rangers have so much talent, its key that a few of these in-your-face players crack the lineup in the future.

Hopefully they can get closer to what we thought we'd see with Nieves (2nd rd pick) and Andersson.