• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NBC Pulls Out on NHL's Second TV Package; TNT Signs 7-Year Deal

Phil

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TNT is an interesting one

I believe that also puts them into Paramount+ which does an awesome job of covering Champions League/Europa League Soccer. they have a show called the Golazo show which is basically like NFL Redzone. If they can do the same thing for Hockey that would be a gamechanger

I think the ESPN part of the deal gave ESPN+ exclusive streaming rights.

So, is NHL.tv/Center Ice going to be an ESPN+ exclusive? How is that going to work?

Everything runs through ESPN+ instead of NHL.tv.

Seems like the base package of just having ESPN+ will give you access to "75 national regular-season games per season produced by ESPN that will stream exclusively on both ESPN+ and Hulu" whereas it will likely be a separate or additional fee to have what was NHL.tv streamed through ESPN+. "The 75 games available to ESPN+ subscribers will be available to Hulu SVOD subscribers at no added cost as part of their subscription."

The ESPN deal stipulates that ESPN+ is the successor to NHL.tv. I doubt that would prevent games from appearing on Paramount+, you just wouldn't be able to use it consistently to view all of your team's games.

So like Paramount+ could do a 'Wednesday Night Hockey' type of thing...

Doesn't look like it matters though. I can't find info on TNT and Paramount+ being affiliated.

I'd just hate to have to subscribe to two additional streaming services to watch all of the hockey. It's not really breaking the bank, it's just kind of a pain, and I already subscribe to enough of them. lol I do have Hulu already. But, I'm not surprised since everything is headed to streaming eventually anyway.

So like Paramount+ could do a 'Wednesday Night Hockey' type of thing...

Doesn't look like it matters though. I can't find info on TNT and Paramount+ being affiliated.

In theory, yes. ESPN doesn't seem to have exclusive streaming rights just the rights to those 75 games and then as the successor as NHL.tv. Any game that's not one of the 75 being exclusively aired should be fair game.

And good point. Paramount+ is a ViacomCBS product, while Turner only owns HBOMax which isn't really appropriate for streaming games. Bodes well for 24/7 returning, though.

I'd just hate to have to subscribe to two additional streaming services to watch all of the hockey. It's not really breaking the bank, it's just kind of a pain, and I already subscribe to enough of them. lol I do have Hulu already. But, I'm not surprised since everything is headed to streaming eventually anyway.

You'd only need to subscribe to one. It would work like the model currently does but with who has ownership shifting. You get NHL games through ESPN+ currently just not all of them. You just get some of them. If you wanted to get a full package then NHL.tv/ESPN+ (in the future) is the way to go. ESPN+, if you're paying for an NHL package and not just 75 games, should be substantial by itself without the addition of the other service. The other service just provides another option should they want it, and allows more viewers to trickle in from alternate sources.

ESPN+ is pretty cheap so I pay for that and I just happen to have my friend's Paramount+ Login already so those should be good

I want nothing more than to not pay for cable. Like, my household only watches MSG, YES network and NBCSports for Soccer. As good as I am at finding illegal streams I hate relying on it. But there is no FUBO or Sling or any other streaming package that gives you all of them. Someone is going to do it soon enough though.

I already have ESPN+ since I watch a lot of college soccer and hockey games so that part is fine. Also for the FA cup. Im still a little confused though as to if I'll still need NHL tv. I want FULL coverage of every game, not just a large chunk of games. What am i going to need for that now?

TNT is an interesting one

I believe that also puts them into Paramount+ which does an awesome job of covering Champions League/Europa League Soccer. they have a show called the Golazo show which is basically like NFL Redzone. If they can do the same thing for Hockey that would be a gamechanger

I hate Paramount/CBS' Europa League talking heads, so I hope they pick a better cast lol

In theory, yes. ESPN doesn't seem to have exclusive streaming rights just the rights to those 75 games and then as the successor as NHL.tv. Any game that's not one of the 75 being exclusively aired should be fair game.

And good point. Paramount+ is a ViacomCBS product, while Turner only owns HBOMax which isn't really appropriate for streaming games. Bodes well for 24/7 returning, though.

Link:

HBOMax evidently will play a role. I'm gonna stick with 24/7 coming back in some capacity or something similar.

ESPN+ is pretty cheap so I pay for that and I just happen to have my friend's Paramount+ Login already so those should be good

I want nothing more than to not pay for cable. Like, my household only watches MSG, YES network and NBCSports for Soccer. As good as I am at finding illegal streams I hate relying on it. But there is no FUBO or Sling or any other streaming package that gives you all of them. Someone is going to do it soon enough though.

Paramount+ is CBS, not Turner. So that's not a thing.

I'd also venture that if you're in the NY area, blackout will still be a thing, and if you're outside of the NYC area, paying for just the internet is backbreakingly expensive versus the triple deal that most cable companies run. I ran the numbers on my end and I'd literally save like 3 bucks a month after bridging the gaps.

Paramount+ is CBS, not Turner. So that's not a thing.

I'd also venture that if you're in the NY area, blackout will still be a thing, and if you're outside of the NYC area, paying for just the internet is backbreakingly expensive versus the triple deal that most cable companies run. I ran the numbers on my end and I'd literally save like 3 bucks a month after bridging the gaps.

I thought paramount carried tnt programming? Maybe I made that up then.

Yeah blackouts will still be a thing. Being upstate I get rangers msg (for a while it gave Sabres priority)

If there was a streaming service that had all the sports channels I need I’d switch to that but they’re all split so one will have MSG, one will have YES, etc.