• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

Exactly. It would seriously help if he could win faceoffs too.

Instead of aiming low for a goon or aiming high for a Tkachuk (I wish though), the Rangers need to find that in between. Gritty, nasty, plays hard. Any offensive or defensive skill is a plus. Those are tge traits that are realistically available. Sadly what the Rangers have in trade is worth so much more than what such players should cost.

This off season is going to hurt. The Rangers are going to either severely over pay, for mid level talent with attributes that this roster lacks, or they will keep what they have and suffer by stunting someone growth, while digging a deeper hole the rest of the league will see when it comes down to the wire on choosing between Buchnevich, Kakko and Kravtsov, Nevermind the situation with the centers and their impending unrestricted free agency.

Drury has his hands full.

they actually need all of this. Hoping someone can check multiple boxes,.and not just "fighter" or grit. Or we end up Glass and Fast.

Right, but finding all of this in one place is very unlikely. We need to prepare for the possibility of getting a few guys that fit this mold, not just one that's a home run.

We're as well served bringing in Getzlaf and/or Foligno and/or Corey Perry in this department as we are in swinging for the absolute fences. And look, if one of the Tkachuks or an OReilly or a Landeskog falls into the mix for the right price? Awesome - but I'd bet we're going to be thinking more in the space of "can check two of those boxes and is a UFA" than "checks them all"

Right, but finding all of this in one place is very unlikely. We need to prepare for the possibility of getting a few guys that fit this mold, not just one that's a home run.

We're as well served bringing in Getzlaf and/or Foligno and/or Corey Perry in this department as we are in swinging for the absolute fences. And look, if one of the Tkachuks or an OReilly or a Landeskog falls into the mix for the right price? Awesome - but I'd bet we're going to be thinking more in the space of "can check two of those boxes and is a UFA" than "checks them all"

Kind of a catch 22 though. If you bring in 2 of those UFAs to play on a 3rd line with CK, the you have to trade one of Chytil/Strome plus one of Buch/Kakko/Krav anyway and trading two of those pieces you're looking for that top 6 full package guy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Exactly. It would seriously help if he could win faceoffs too.

Instead of aiming low for a goon or aiming high for a Tkachuk (I wish though), the Rangers need to find that in between. Gritty, nasty, plays hard. Any offensive or defensive skill is a plus. Those are tge traits that are realistically available. Sadly what the Rangers have in trade is worth so much more than what such players should cost.

This off season is going to hurt. The Rangers are going to either severely over pay, for mid level talent with attributes that this roster lacks, or they will keep what they have and suffer by stunting someone growth, while digging a deeper hole the rest of the league will see when it comes down to the wire on choosing between Buchnevich, Kakko and Kravtsov, Nevermind the situation with the centers and their impending unrestricted free agency.

Drury has his hands full.

Kind of a catch 22 though. If you bring in 2 of those UFAs to play on a 3rd line with CK, the you have to trade one of Chytil/Strome plus one of Buch/Kakko/Krav anyway and trading two of those pieces you're looking for that top 6 full package guy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Eh, not particularly. You could end up in two-for-one deal for a 2c and bring in two of those guys. I'm not crying too hard about replacing a rando on the 4th line for Nick Foligno.

Eh, not particularly. You could end up in two-for-one deal for a 2c and bring in two of those guys. I'm not crying too hard about replacing a rando on the 4th line for Nick Foligno.

The Rangers need a 2 C like they need another AHL lifer. Any 2 for 1 involving the names being mentioned as the assets that are likely to be moved, better bring back a top line talent. Strome is the 2C. Chytil could potentially be the 2C if given the opportunity. What gritty 2nd line center is available or being discussed? I'm not doing a 2 for 1 for O'Reilly.

The Rangers need a 2 C like they need another AHL lifer. Any 2 for 1 involving the names being mentioned as the assets that are likely to be moved, better bring back a top line talent. Strome is the 2C. Chytil could potentially be the 2C if given the opportunity. What gritty 2nd line center is available or being discussed? I'm not doing a 2 for 1 for O'Reilly.

Chytil could be the 2C, but Kakko and Kratsov are too early to tell if they can be top-6 wingers?

I'm for going after Chara

He's so bad, though.

I saw a few cracks in the armor in Big Z during this playoff stint. He's definitely got a lot of miles on the ol' station wagon, Morph.

What about resigning Brendan Smith to a sweet little 2 year package to be that "Veteran D" or 7th D? ...maybe 2 years/$3 million? (somewhere in that range)

I saw a few cracks in the armor in Big Z during this playoff stint. He's definitely got a lot of miles on the ol' station wagon, Morph.

What about resigning Brendan Smith to a sweet little 2 year package to be that "Veteran D" or 7th D? ...maybe 2 years/$3 million? (somewhere in that range)

3m total? Sure.

But he's not. He was good for the Caps this year and was one of their best D in the playoffs.

We're not looking for him to be on the top pair. In limited minutes he's good for a 6th/7th D.

Oh I hear ya, man...I just thought he flew the coop on Boston because they wanted him to be their 7th D. If he'd agree to it, he'd fit in as a 7th D man, sure.

So our final answer is sign Chara and play Smith as a 4th liner? I guess fro $3m total I take it as a last resort.

I don't think Chara would come to NY to play as a 7th defenseman, Josh man. I'm thinking Smith could be that guy...not both though.

I want Nick Foligno. Idk if that is an option or not but thats what we need here. And he is currently playing center in Tavares absence. Vet, past Captain, rough around the edges and supposedly a full on team guy. He should be target #1 imo.

i can get behind this. torts loved him

• 3 weeks later...