• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

I had posted in the off-season thread about Josh Archibald. Might be a realistic target. He can play wing and center, won 50% of his draws, he’s younger (28), was 5th in the league in hits, has speed, he’s like a torpedo. He’s a little undersized but he hits everything that moves. He has 1 year left at a cap hit of $1.5 AAV before moving to UFA. So maybe he can be had before potentially leaving for nothing. He’d be a nice add to the bottom-6.

Blake Coleman is a guy I want them to go after badly.

Nice player, but no idea where you play him. He's not a fourth-liner. I guess if you move Buch you can play him on the right and mix-and-match throughout the year between he, Kakko, and Kravtsov for who gets top-six minutes.

Nice player, but no idea where you play him. He's not a fourth-liner. I guess if you move Buch you can play him on the right and mix-and-match throughout the year between he, Kakko, and Kravtsov for who gets top-six minutes.

But he could be your 3rd line center and you can use Chytil in the way you suggest using Coleman. You may also use Chytil in place of Strome.

Weird take. Is Strome a product of Quinn? Do the Rangers get the same output from him with a different coach? Zibanejad too? Buch? I hate to give credit to Quinn, but these guys did get their careers on track under Quinn. Will another coach get that output? Shit. Maybe they need to blow it up.

A bit of both. We’ve definitely assembled talent. At this point, we have to pick which of that talent stays (some more obvious than others) while carefully picking which pieces of our talent have to go in order to better round out the roster.

It’s not a bad position to be in. The Rangers have more than enough assets to go out and get exactly what they need. That isn’t the issue. The issue is figuring out what goes and what comes in. They have to hit on both aspects.

But he could be your 3rd line center and you can use Chytil in the way you suggest using Coleman. You may also use Chytil in place of Strome.

Weird take. Is Strome a product of Quinn? Do the Rangers get the same output from him with a different coach? Zibanejad too? Buch? I hate to give credit to Quinn, but these guys did get their careers on track under Quinn. Will another coach get that output? Shit. Maybe they need to blow it up.

He's not a center. He's a winger who plays both sides but mostly the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's not a center. He's a winger who plays both sides but mostly the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh sorry, he's listed as a center everywhere. Thought he played center previously. Looking at his faceoff numbers early on they ate kinda meh, so I guess he was moved to wing a few years ago.

Oh sorry, he's listed as a center everywhere. Thought he played center previously. Looking at his faceoff numbers early on they ate kinda meh, so I guess he was moved to wing a few years ago.
why is Tampa moving him?

have we built a team or just assembled talent?

interesting question in my mind.

They were in the process of building a legit team. I don’t think anyone thought it was a finished product including Gorton and company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

an immensely strong forecheck worked wonders for the islanders last nite. we are not built to play that game. believe thats where we need to be to compete at the next level. granted we've assembled a great deal of talent but not in that area. its going to take some heavy lifting for us to get there assuming if thats what the next management believes is missing.

It definitely is. I’m not saying this as a Rangers fan, but I’d rather be on this side of the ball than the other. Energy guys are a lot easier to find than guys with top level skill. The Rangers have that. They need to figure out who out of that group makes the cut moving forward and who will be used as trade bait to get what we need. Like others have said, not every trade will look like a “win” as far as what we get vs. what we give up. But we have our area of strength, and need to use our over abundance of that to strengthen our weaknesses.
  • Like 1