• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

Sure, but adding Barron and expecting different results while you wait on (and hope for) Cuylle and Schneider is a pretty foolish plan IMO.

I also said it took years, not that it takes years. Be aggressive. Get what you want/need.

"The problem" isn't singular. It's not remedied by a single player — even Wilson. The team is too homogeneous, so youo have to make change at multiple points. They effectively have two physical players – Trouba and Smith. One of whom is probably gone thiis summer. The next best is Lindgren, who isn't so much tough as he is Girardi-tough – the ability to absorb punishment but never dole it out.

Leafs were the same way. I took years to fix. Simmonds, Bogosian, Muzzin, Foligno, etc. all happened over multiple seasons.

Remarkable how Kreider doesn't make your list.

What a waste of size and skating.

That’s a pipe dream to expect it to come from them just because even after they arrive, it’ll still take time for them to establish that part of their game unless they are elite level of that toughness/hard to play against.

Jeez guys it was mostlya tongue in cheek comment playing off the “took Toronto years” comment. They are a step in the right direction was my

Point. Obviously they have to do more.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's not a physical player. He's a power forwards body that plays a skills players game. So I would recommend l echo your sentiments. Absolute waste of frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This is almost as silly as someone suggesting to remove Kreider from the PP.

Prior to his injury, Kreider was tied with Matt Tkachuk with the 7th most hits for LWs in the league. He also leads the Rangers in hits. He's 4th among Rangers forwards for hits per 60 behind 4th liners.

He's always going into the corners, hitting dmen, going to the dirty areas, goes to the net.

As I've said all season, the team actually needs more Kreider's and Trouba's, not less.

Skating? Check.

Hands? Check.

Size? Check.

Defense? Check.

Leadership qualities? Check.

Mean streak? None that I've seen so far.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's not really known for any of those things. Mostly position-ally responsible hockey and a good shot.

If he's going to be a successful NHL player, its going to be due to his willingness and ability to capitalize on his chances, not his skating or hands. Hopefully he develops a pair of balls at the NHL level, because he could really compliment some of the skill players with his "compete level" and ability to finish.

This is almost as silly as someone suggesting to remove Kreider from the PP.

Prior to his injury, Kreider was tied with Matt Tkachuk with the 7th most hits for LWs in the league. He also leads the Rangers in hits. He's 4th among Rangers forwards for hits per 60 behind 4th liners.

He's always going into the corners, hitting dmen, going to the dirty areas, goes to the net.

As I've said all season, the team actually needs more Kreider's and Trouba's, not less.

I say physical, I'm not talking about bumps off the puck or standard game body checks. I'm talking about a mean streak — the kind of physicality you can see and opponents feel. The team doesn't have anyone like that except for Trouba.

When's the last time Kreider inflicted pain on someone due to a body check he's thrown?

That said, I agree – more of these types of players, not less.

I say physical, I'm not talking about bumps off the puck or standard game body checks. I'm talking about a mean streak — the kind of physicality you can see and opponents feel. The team doesn't have anyone like that except for Trouba.

When's the last time Kreider inflicted pain on someone due to a body check he's thrown?

That said, I agree – more of these types of players, not less.

strange, I've been laughed at for years saying the Rangers need someone that requires opponents to "keep their head up"

Kreider stopped wrecking people because he was constantly getting penalized. And I'm fine if someone gets a penalty for destroying guys once in a while (Schneider during WJHC comes to mind). But a lot of the hate for Kreider started years ago when he was getting penalized for big hits.

Yup. Bad penalties (tripping, hooking, etc — you've been beat and you're cheating) versus "good" (charging, elbowing, etc). Martin popped Zibanejad in the mouth with an elbow on the first shift. I'm A-OK killing off a charging call when the team responds by running Barzal over next shift.

Yup. Bad penalties (tripping, hooking, etc — you've been beat and you're cheating) versus "good" (charging, elbowing, etc). Martin popped Zibanejad in the mouth with an elbow on the first shift. I'm A-OK killing off a charging call when the team responds by running Barzal over next shift.

Kreiders last fine was similar to the Martin elbow

Looking at Skunkman thread: If They Fire Quinn, When? I can’t help but think maybe it’s not so much our personnel but our coach that just doesn’t like his players playing a physical style. Maybe if we hire a Head Coach who likes to play a physical style then our players will be allowed to. I see Rod Brind’amour is playing hard ball with Carolina on a contract extension.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

strange, I've been laughed at for years saying the Rangers need someone that requires opponents to "keep their head up"

Kreider stopped wrecking people because he was constantly getting penalized. And I'm fine if someone gets a penalty for destroying guys once in a while (Schneider during WJHC comes to mind). But a lot of the hate for Kreider started years ago when he was getting penalized for big hits.

That is a fact. The fanbase complained plenty that Kreider needs to let up because his speed and size make the hits look like penalties in which he was being called. When in fact he was getting penalized for legal hits but he was just that much stronger than the opponent that it looked worse than it was. The Rangers,mainly AV, neutered that part of Kreider's game, now we desperately need it back.