• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

Since Knoblach came up,

Panarin tied 1st for points in the league

Zibanejad 3rd

Fox 5th

Strome 10th

Buchnevich 20th

Team tied for 3rd in points

2nd best PP

Literally, all shit we "unfair[ly] and frankly, uninformed" complained about.

Remind me again how many games Knoblauch has coached since 3/28, where we're 11-4-2, have the 2nd most points in the NHL, have a 30.4% PP, have scored the most goals, have been 7th place in GA/G and the individual stats generally hold without those Flyers blowouts?

Is your assertion that if Knoblauch didn't come up and teach the team the precise same system that they'd been using, this season is a lost cause?

Remind me again how many games Knoblauch has coached since 3/28, where we're 11-4-2, have the 2nd most points in the NHL, have a 30.4% PP, have scored the most goals, have been 7th place in GA/G and the individual stats generally hold without those Flyers blowouts?

Is your assertion that if Knoblauch didn't come up and teach the team the precise same system that they'd been using, this season is a lost cause?

It's entirely unfair and frankly, uninformed, to sit here and imply that Knoblach's time with the team didn't change something that allowed them to be fighting for the playoffs.

And I mentioned it before, it wasn't when Quinn initially came back, but about a week later. The team played loose, had their swag. Since then, even Pete has admitted that top offensive guys do their own thing, regardless of coach or system.

Since Knoblach came up,

Panarin tied 1st for points in the league

Zibanejad 3rd

Fox 5th

Strome 10th

Buchnevich 20th

Team tied for 3rd in points

2nd best PP

Literally, all shit we "unfair[ly] and frankly, uninformed" complained about.

Actually Panarin returned on 3/13 they are 16-6-3.

4-2 with Knobalch, who got hourly instructions from Quinn (3/17 to 3/27)

12-4-3 with Quinn

It's entirely unfair and frankly, uninformed, to sit here and imply that Knoblach's time with the team didn't change something that allowed them to be fighting for the playoffs.

And I mentioned it before, it wasn't when Quinn initially came back, but about a week later. The team played loose, had their swag. Since then, even Pete has admitted that top offensive guys do their own thing, regardless of coach or system.

And that has nothing to do with, say, getting healthy, getting their best players back from injury or other things? Like Panarin returning two days before Quinn got COVID? Or Zibanejad turning the corner in early March? Or Chytil being healthy and giving us the depth to roll three lines?

Actually Panarin returned on 3/13 they are 16-6-3.

4-2 with Knobalch, who got hourly instructions from Quinn (3/17 to 3/27)

12-4-3 with Quinn

And that has nothing to do with, say, getting healthy, getting their best players back from injury or other things? Like Panarin returning two days before Quinn got COVID? Or Zibanejad turning the corner in early March? Or Chytil being healthy and giving us the depth to roll three lines?

The "I've never been in a locker room before" approach.

If you can't admit the team was visibly different on the ice following Quinn leaving, I don't know what to tell you, except It seems entirely unfair and frankly, uninformed,

The "I've never been in a locker room before" approach.

If you can't admit the team was visibly different on the ice following Quinn leaving, I don't know what to tell you, except It seems entirely unfair and frankly, uninformed,

Yeah, I mean, getting two of the top 5 scorers in the NHL last season back in your lineup and to form tends to have that effect. I don't really know what to tell you if you think that having great players return to playing great is going to have a negligible impact on a team. Seems...what's the line you're using to troll me here - unfair and uninformed - to ignore that?

They still have the same problems from day 1.

Mostly, lack of consistency, and lack of playoffs. Again.

Again? Were the playoffs a realistic expectation last year? That they even made spitting distance was a total bonus, IMO. And they obviously weren't ready for the play-in.

I've said often and all along that '21-22 is the first year to expect playoffs and possible contention. They've made big strides but have a long way to go. Sticking with that time line.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

At one point he was shooting like 2%. It wasn't great. I can understand that, but I'd probably ask which righty shot was going to join that PP as the triggerman? We know the structure works - so you need personnel that meets the need.

It was like...Blackwell, Strome, nothing. Both of us would go with a "fuck it, put a lefty up there", sure.

Panarin is the triggerman on PP1. They didn't need a righty shot to replace Zibanejad.

I don't see why they couldn't have done:

Kreider

Panarin - Strome - Buchnevich

Fox

until Zibanejad was feeling back to normal. Quinn tried the same garbage. And, in my opinion, the current setup with 4 right handed shots fails to be effective enough against the better teams, despite the overall success of the PP in general. It can delete some of the bad teams. I haven't looked up the numbers, but it seems every time we play better teams like the Isles and Bruins they know how to play it, and we never adjust.

Yeah, I mean, getting two of the top 5 scorers in the NHL last season back in your lineup and to form tends to have that effect. I don't really know what to tell you if you think that having great players return to playing great is going to have a negligible impact on a team. Seems...what's the line you're using to troll me here - unfair and uninformed - to ignore that?

I mean, there's a ton I would say about this, but it's just repeating.

The kids should have been getting ice time early on, and when someone goes down, it's easy for someone to step in.

Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time.

Then, when you get to these crunch-time games, kids have more experience & confidence, Zibanejad has more left in the tank, etc.

I think people are severely underestimating, or simply forgetting, how these poor decisions trickle-down. Especially with the inconsistent lack of accountability top players are held to.

I mean, there's a ton I would say about this, but it's just repeating.

The kids should have been getting ice time early on, and when someone goes down, it's easy for someone to step in.

Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time.

Then, when you get to these crunch-time games, kids have more experience & confidence, Zibanejad has more left in the tank, etc.

I think people are severely underestimating, or simply forgetting, how these poor decisions trickle-down. Especially with the inconsistent lack of accountability top players are held to.

Nobody is underestimating or forgetting any of this - there's no evidence to support any of that aside from "Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time", which again - who are you putting there in his stead?

The kids shouldn't have been playing over any of the usual suspects early on - they hadn't earned that space and in many cases were not playing at an NHL level. The kids are plenty confident now. Our veterans don't look like they've got nothing in the tank.

I don't understand where this is coming from.

• Like 1

I agree with you, Josh.

Quinn shouldn't be getting credit for decisions he stumbled into when basically the entire fucking world wanted these things to happen months ago.

Don't forget DQ decided that actually Shesterkin shouldn't be the starter for this team, and actually we have a goaltending battle even though the very reason Hank was bought out was because Shesterkin proved he was the best goalie of the three, and actually if the goalie loses a game, he shouldn't play again until the other goalie loses.

You know who did this? My moronic high school coach. It's a high school coaching move (and apparently a college move too).

This decision in its own right kept Igor from getting in a groove, and should he have just kept the guy in the net he would have worked through his rust quicker and we'd probably be in the playoffs right now.

--

But the team is hot. Quinn won't be fired. And it's not because he's a good coach, it's because the team saved his bacon. It's because something happened when the Hartford crew came up and something changed that has carried over to the rest of the season. I would be absolutely shocked if there wasn't some kind of meeting between Knoblauch, Drury, Quinn, JD, and JG where they talked about what changed and why it worked.

Nobody is underestimating or forgetting any of this - there's no evidence to support any of that aside from "Zibanejad should not have been getting ice time", which again - who are you putting there in his stead?

The kids shouldn't have been playing over any of the usual suspects early on - they hadn't earned that space and in many cases were not playing at an NHL level. The kids are plenty confident now. Our veterans don't look like they've got nothing in the tank.

I don't understand where this is coming from.

Anyone. He was really bad.

Not saying it had to be long, or extensive. But the fact that Zibanejad 'skated' by, logging his 20+ mins a night is unacceptable. Bump him down to the 3rd line for a game. Move him off the 1st PP, that was a gimme. Again, it's not a season long move, but accountability. Gauthier gets sat for extended periods for a mistake, but Zibanejad gets his ice time increased.

(Note: I've mentioned recently that Quinn has been much more lax, especially with Kravtsov and Lafreniere making some glaring mistakes, and Quinn putting them right back out there.)

Power play time, really. A few more goals for Kakko and Lafreniere early in the season could have done wonders. For the individual players, and the guys love when the kids score. Don't think that the rest of the team doesn't also feel the pressure of having top picks out there.

Rest is for the entire season, not just game by game. Another example, I mentioned during the off-season about getting Kreider down to "3rd line minutes" (which, was not perceived well) but the point is to ensure he's healthy, and playing healthy hockey throughout the season. "On pace for" doesn't help when you are actually hurt during the final stretch of the season. Who knows, maybe Zibanejad would have 'recovered' sooner with a bit more rest, and turned it on much sooner.

Zibanejad is a 30-40 goal scorer that's been in the league for 9 years. Gauthier has 44 career games played. How are they comparable situations?
They're not even on the same planet. Can't wait for Gauthier to prove he's still not worthy somewhere else next season.

Zibanejad is a 30-40 goal scorer that's been in the league for 9 years. Gauthier has 44 career games played. How are they comparable situations?

They aren't.

And folks have selective amnesia around Chytil being hurt while Zib was sucking. So folks are suggesting our middle should have been Strome, Rooney, Hiwden and what Zib on 4th line?

Tough look there.

Vally talks about it 50x a game - you cant expect the kids to see it when they see other guys getting away with it.

"Watch Panarin hustle to the bench"