• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targets to Break the Rangers' Homogeneity?

Phil

We don't see eye to eye on Strome either lol.

I was around when the Nylander was a point per game player, and everybody wanted to upgrade on him too. Then we wind up with Gomez and Drury... I'm perfectly happy with our top two centers. I'm happy with Buch. We just can't pay everybody. There's no one in house to step into 2C. We have options for 1RW.

Nylander was going on 35 and only lasted 2 more seasons after the Rangers. The only reason the decision to move on from him can be viewed poorly is because neither Gomez nor Drury lived up to their contracts. Not very applicable to the current situation IMO.

The Rangers already have 1 top 6 C cemented in with Zibanejad. They need another long term. Strome isn't the long term fit. For now, they can find someone that fits a mold of a player that they need, who brings the qualities this thread is discussing. I can't envision this team going deep in the playoffs with Zibanejad and Strome down the middle. Can you? I think we can at least agree that of the two, Zibanejad is the better option to keep.

We don't see eye to eye on Kakko and Kravtsov being top line RW next year. That's too high of an expectation in my book.

Nylander was going on 35 and only lasted 2 more seasons after the Rangers. The only reason the decision to move on from him can be viewed poorly is because neither Gomez nor Drury lived up to their contracts. Not very applicable to the current situation IMO.
What's applicable is the fan sentiment of always thinking they can do better than what they have.

The Rangers already have 1 top 6 C cemented in with Zibanejad. They need another long term. Strome isn't the long term fit.
Based on what? People keep saying this, but their reason for saying it always fades into thin air....He is production isn't sustainable...Wrong...It's all from Panarin...Wrong... Why isn't he a long term fit?

For now, they can find someone that fits a mold of a player that they need, who brings the qualities this thread is discussing. I can't envision this team going deep in the playoffs with Zibanejad and Strome down the middle. Can you? I think we can at least agree that of the two, Zibanejad is the better option to keep.
Yes, I remember reading how easy it would be to upgrade on Nylander, too. Too much east west, more straight lines. That worked out well. That's the point I made above.

We don't see eye to eye on Kakko and Kravtsov being top line RW next year. That's too high of an expectation in my book.
Dunno, seems like for folks who have complained a lot about the kids not playing with the stars enough and it's Quinn's fault...Now we can't put one of them with Zib and the other with Panarin?

Based on what? People keep saying this, but their reason for saying it always fades into thin air....He is production isn't sustainable...Wrong...It's all from Panarin...Wrong... Why isn't he a long term fit?

I've already answered this. I even broke it down by player on how they can change the homogenous structure of the top 6, and why Strome is the odd man out. It's more than boxcar stats. It's type of player and contract situation. Obviously, you disagree, but it has been explained. Strome's play without Panarin was commendable, but it was for 9 games. Too small of a sample size to make any guarantees on that.

Dunno, seems like for folks who have complained a lot about the kids not playing with the stars enough and it's Quinn's fault...Now we can't put one of them with Zib and the other with Panarin?

Let's clarify what "kids" we are talking about. The topic is Kakko and Kravtsov being the top 2 RW on a team with playoff expectations next year. My personal qualm with ice time this season was never with Kakko's even strength time, or what line he was on. It was lack of PP time to have a legitimate chance to get some points and confidence. Kravtsov just got here, and while he looks good, I'm not asking him to play 17-18 minutes a night on a team where playoffs are an expectation, not a "nice to have" like this year has been. If those expectations did not exist, I would agree with you, but it's time to turn the corner to being a playoff team.

I've already answered this. I even broke it down by player on how they can change the homogenous structure of the top 6, and why Strome is the odd man out. It's more than boxcar stats. It's type of player and contract situation. Obviously, you disagree, but it has been explained. Strome's play without Panarin was commendable, but it was for 9 games. Too small of a sample size to make any guarantees on that.
Right, I saw that, it was about Buch being more well rounded or better defensively, which the numbers don't support. Contract situations are...Strome is signed next year and Buch is probably getting double what he makes now since he has arb rights. Maybe they just go a year with him? Regardless, long term I dont' see how any of this makes Strome an odd man out when there are more wingers for open slots, and not even enough centers for our team now (Hello Rooney at 3C if anyone gets hurt).

Also, regarding style, I have much more faith in Strome's ability to play a simplified style than I do with Buch. Strome was successful here as a third liner, playing that way specifically. He has an uncanny ability to adapt to his linemates.

Let's clarify what "kids" we are talking about. The topic is Kakko and Kravtsov being the top 2 RW on a team with playoff expectations next year. My personal qualm with ice time this season was never with Kakko's even strength time, or what line he was on. It was lack of PP time to have a legitimate chance to get some points and confidence. Kravtsov just got here, and while he looks good, I'm not asking him to play 17-18 minutes a night on a team where playoffs are an expectation, not a "nice to have" like this year has been. If those expectations did not exist, I would agree with you, but it's time to turn the corner to being a playoff team.

Fair enough.

Right, I saw that, it was about Buch being more well rounded or better defensively, which the numbers don't support. Contract situations are...Strome is signed next year and Buch is probably getting double what he makes now since he has arb rights. Maybe they just go a year with him? Regardless, long term I dont' see how any of this makes Strome an odd man out when there are more wingers for open slots, and not even enough centers for our team now (Hello Rooney at 3C if anyone gets hurt).

Also, regarding style, I have much more faith in Strome's ability to play a simplified style than I do with Buch. Strome was successful here as a third liner, playing that way specifically. He has an uncanny ability to adapt to his linemates.

Fair enough.

FWIW I would not trade Strome unless they had a deal lined up to fill that hole. Strome has grown on me, believe it or not, and it's no secret I was not a fan last year. I will not be upset or anything whatsoever if they decide to hold onto him. There's a tough decision for management here between Strome and Buchnevich. I'm sure they like both of them. They probably have split opinions on it in-house just like we have on this board.

FWIW I would not trade Strome unless they had a deal lined up to fill that hole. Strome has grown on me, believe it or not, and it's no secret I was not a fan last year. I will not be upset or anything whatsoever if they decide to hold onto him. There's a tough decision for management here between Strome and Buchnevich. I'm sure they like both of them. They probably have split opinions on it in-house just like we have on this board.

100%. These are good options to have.

It's also important to note that regardless of the topic of this thread, had the Rangers gotten anything at all from Zib to starts, and more from Kakko and Lafreniere, they are probably a playoff team right now. How successful would be TBD but they'd certainly be in the dance.

This is my issue with this thread. What is this expectation? As is they are easily a playoff team. Bad start included, they're currently in a wild card spot with normal divisions and likely pass teams in front of them with 26 more games.

Matthews, Marner, and Nylander haven't gotten out of the first round in 4 years. Even with two years of Tavares.

They started the year with Laf (19), Kakko (19), Miller (21), Kravtsov (21), Chytil (21), Lindgren (21), Fox (21). Schneider and Lundkvist will be here soon. Way too early to start shipping any of them out.

They can't win in the playoffs with Zib-Strome? Based on what, the bubble after 5 months of not playing?

I don't change hardly anything for next year.

Laf - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov

Kreider - Chytil - Kakko

You can add some new wingers for Barron

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Jones - Lundkvist/Schenider

Smith

PP1: Kakko - Zib - Strome - Panarin - Fox

PP2: Laf - Chytil - Kravtsov - Lundkvist - Jones

That's a playoff team all day.

• Like 1

This is my issue with this thread. What is this expectation? As is they are easily a playoff team. Bad start included, they're currently in a wild card spot with normal divisions and likely pass teams in front of them with 26 more games.

I've been retracting my belief that the Rangers would be a playoff team in other divisions. They've had the absolute benefit, as has the rest of the East, of feasting on the two worst teams in the league. The Rangers are 11-3-1 against the Devils and Sabres. That has a good part to do with their point total. It also means they are 14-15-5 against everybody else. The Rangers are basically a fringe, bubble team capable of picking off bad teams, but not a playoff contender, which is the whole point of the thread. How do we change this so we can compete against the better teams? Because right now, we aren't very good against them.

Laf - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Kravtsov

Kreider - Chytil - Kakko

You can add some new wingers for Barron

Lindgren - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Jones - Lundkvist/Schenider

Smith

PP1: Kakko - Zib - Strome - Panarin - Fox

PP2: Laf - Chytil - Kravtsov - Lundkvist - Jones

That's a playoff team all day.

I do not agree. It isn't a playoff team this year even with a couple of guys having career years. No reason to expect the same thing to be a playoff team next year. So either the Rangers need to go another year where playoffs are a nice to have and not an expectation, or they need to make changes. And if by chance they make it in, we've seen how they stack up against other playoff teams, and it isn't very good.

I've been retracting my belief that the Rangers would be a playoff team in other divisions. They've had the absolute benefit, as has the rest of the East, of feasting on the two worst teams in the league. The Rangers are 11-3-1 against the Devils and Sabres. That has a good part to do with their point total. It also means they are 14-15-5 against everybody else. The Rangers are basically a fringe, bubble team capable of picking off bad teams, but not a playoff contender, which is the whole point of the thread. How do we change this so we can compete against the better teams? Because right now, we aren't very good against them.

Man, to be fair, you can make this argument about every other division. Are the Flames and Canucks and Senators that much better than the Sabres and Devils? Are the Kings, or Ducks, or Sharks? Is Detroit or Columbus? Every team gets to feast on the dregs in their division.

We might have two of the worst teams in the NHL, but we also have four of the best. We'd be in the playoffs in any other division - yes, as a fringe team, but in.

I do not agree. It isn't a playoff team this year even with a couple of guys having career years. No reason to expect the same thing to be a playoff team next year. So either the Rangers need to go another year where playoffs are a nice to have and not an expectation, or they need to make changes.

It depends on which team shows up. If the team from the last 6 weeks shows up - we're in it. From the first 6? Yeah, you're probably right.

Every young forward on the team has great size. Is it unreasonable to think that at least a few of them will develop a strong, tough to play against style?

Nope. I have high hopes for Kakko and Lafreniere. Even Kravstov is much bigger than I remembered. I think Kakko is already turning into that kind of player.

Nope. I have high hopes for Kakko and Lafreniere. Even Kravstov is much bigger than I remembered. I think Kakko is already turning into that kind of player.

I love how Kakko went to the rough area around the net on the PP and batted home that goal with two guys around him. More of that, please.

TBH, I think they're good to go on the wings. Another season of development will likely have Kakko, LaF, and Krav in pretty good spots, which I'm pretty sure is going to happen before any '22 playoffs take place. So, planning for next year's post season as if these guys will be static until then doesn't make sense to me. It's wholly premature to assume Kravtsov doesn't develop from where he is now - fast, scrappy, good shot, willing to throw a hit, pretty good forechecker - only a year better. Put 15 more pounds of muscle on that kid and he will be a presence. Everybody has been pissing and moaning about how Kakko and LaF didn't shake the world from minute one, now you want to toss the forward who has looked the best from the outset?

I basically agree with Larry on composition, but that it needs to be a 2C - in the mode of a Getzlaf but not as long in the tooth - who is an imposing physical presence who will bang bodies, fight if necessary, and won't back down from anyone. That is the quality that we're missing. It's toughness combined with general skill, not specifically defense or corner work or some other quality. Chytil aint it, although I think he's a good player who may well get better the further he gets from COVID, and Strome is not that despite his excellent offensive performance. Barron is big and good, (watched a few Cornell games last year as well as a couple WP games) but I have not seen any indication that he is that imposing presence. (Think he could ultimately have a home as 3C.) If we can't get that "grit," then there's no sense in just reshuffling what is very likely to be a playoff-worthy deck for next year.

For a slim guy he definitely doesn't get pushed around in the corners. You can only imagine what he'd be capable of with a few more years and a few more pounds.

And by golly if he hangs out with Laf for a few weeks he'll get those pounds

I do not agree. It isn't a playoff team this year even with a couple of guys having career years. No reason to expect the same thing to be a playoff team next year. So either the Rangers need to go another year where playoffs are a nice to have and not an expectation, or they need to make changes. And if by chance they make it in, we've seen how they stack up against other playoff teams, and it isn't very good.

The Caps are 14-1-1 against BUF and NJD, 17-12-3 against everyone else. That's just how it goes. ARI is in 4th place in the West and they're under .500.

The bold illustrates my point. There is no need to change it.

In the lineup tomorrow night you'll have...

5 rookies: Laf, Jones, Miller, Kravtsov, and Shesty

4 sophmores: Kakko, Hajek, Lindgren, and Fox

Plus 21 year old Chytil in his 3rd season

The don't need to be making changes. Just need to let the kids grow.

• Like 2

And by golly if he hangs out with Laf for a few weeks he'll get those pounds

Yukon Cornelius!!! Fucking priceless....Bugg, I'm scarred for life!! ...and I think I like it!! :rofl:

I'm still cracking up over that one!!!

The Caps are 14-1-1 against BUF and NJD, 17-12-3 against everyone else. That's just how it goes. ARI is in 4th place in the West and they're under .500.

The bold illustrates my point. There is no need to change it.

In the lineup tomorrow night you'll have...

5 rookies: Laf, Jones, Miller, Kravtsov, and Shesty

4 sophmores: Kakko, Hajek, Lindgren, and Fox

Plus 21 year old Chytil in his 3rd season

The don't need to be making changes. Just need to let the kids grow.

You can let the kids grow and change the middle of the lineup at the same time to be more prepared not just to make the playoffs, but to be successful in them.

In my scenario, we've swapped out Strome and Chytil for more rugged, nose for the net, battle tested players. You still have all the premium young guys you are talking about minus Chytil. Next year will be Chytil's 4th full pro season by the way. His ELC is up after this season.

Like I said in another thread, the Rangers are going to have to overpay for bottom 6 grit. They have no choice. They have too much of the same unproven talent that they can't really find a spot for that fits their potential skill level.

You can't keep Chytil, Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravstov in the bottom 6. You can't keep all of these defensemen.

They need to make a move this summer. I don't see them acquiring a top 6 gritty player like either Tkachuk. They're not going to be available. And you can't squeeze a Sam Bennett back into a 3rd line role, inwhich he was already unhappy in.

So, unless they give up the farm for Eichel (I'm just not a fan of this guy really), I don't see them getting fair worth of the likes of Chytil, Lundkvist, Buchnevich, Jones or whomever they must deal for the type of player they can fit into their lineupas it's constructed.

It's going to be a Nordstrom-esk deal, that we will no doubt regret.

Like I said in another thread, the Rangers are going to have to overpay for bottom 6 grit. They have no choice. They have too much of the same unproven talent that they can't really find a spot for that fits their potential skill level.

You can't keep Chytil, Lafreniere, Kakko and Kravstov in the bottom 6. You can't keep all of these defensemen.

They need to make a move this summer. I don't see them acquiring a top 6 gritty player like either Tkachuk. They're not going to be available. And you can't squeeze a Sam Bennett back into a 3rd line role, inwhich he was already unhappy in.

So, unless they give up the farm for Eichel (I'm just not a fan of this guy really), I don't see them getting fair worth of the likes of Chytil, Lundkvist, Buchnevich, Jones or whomever they must deal for the type of player they can fit into their lineupas it's constructed.

It's going to be a Nordstrom-esk deal, that we will no doubt regret.

I think they're well-served to take a swing at it in the UFA market before they try to trade. If you want a guy who can win draws and bring some grit or mix up our style some, there's a few decent options out there that should come within our budget, and it stalls the need to trade for just long enough to get better reads on some of these players.

I rather try to get Barkov from Florida instead of Eichel.

His name seems to pop up occasionally in trade rumors.

I've never seen that nor do i think there's any chance whatsoever he's ever available.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I've seen it in various fan circles, but not from a legitimate source...for a reason. Pie in the sky.