• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#47) Rangers v. Philadelphia Flyers // Jonesing for a Win

not sure, especially when your bottom six can't put the puck in the ocean most nights. They're a two line team on a good night.

looks good on paper but off the top the two top picks contribute virtually nothing especially when the chips are down. Panarin and Zib have to carry this team on their backs offensively along with Strome, can you really count on anybody else? Not at this point. Imo they're a two line team when they're rolling at this point. Smith was jekyll and hyde, Shesty kept this one close. They got what they deserved tonight, again.

Oh I agree, but at some point we all have to come to grips that you can’t fire the team, but you can replace the guy coaching it if all these tools at his disposable don’t give results.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this, if they go out and get a big fish like Eichel, they'll be absolute fools to treat this team as anything other than contenders. That goes for how they address the 4th line. 6/7 D. And the coach.

If they don't get Eichel, then staying the course is probably fine.

Yeah. If they make one or two big moves and give Quinn a mulligan for this year, I can see that. His job would then absolutely be on the line next season.

Oh I agree, but at some point we all have to come to grips that you can’t fire the team, but you can replace the guy coaching it if all these tools at his disposable don’t give results.

I don't dislike Quinn per say, but I do think a new voice for offense could be needed. They got one for the defense and look what happened. Coaching, coaching, coaching.

I really don't think Quinn is getting fired this year even if the finish to this year is bad, but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

He’s not. He should be, but it’s mostly because he doesn’t currently have what it takes to take the coach to the next level. It looks to me that the team doesn’t play the way he wants them to, far too many guys are inconsistent, and it’s basically been three years of the same results despite adding more and more talent each year.

He’s not. He should be, but it’s mostly because he doesn’t currently have what it takes to take the coach to the next level. It looks to me that the team doesn’t play the way he wants them to, far too many guys are inconsistent, and it’s basically been three years of the same results despite adding more and more talent each year.

Yes, and another rookie in Lafreniere not doing well (not necessarily all Quinn's fault, though) is not a good look on the coach at all. Plus, Kravtsov gets buried a lot of times too, which is another strike.

Yes, and another rookie in Lafreniere not doing well (not necessarily all Quinn's fault, though) is not a good look on the coach at all. Plus, Kravtsov gets buried a lot of times too, which is another strike.

Name the players under 23 who have excelled playing for Quinn. It should take you ten seconds to realize it's one-name long.

Name the players under 23 who have excelled playing for Quinn. It should take you ten seconds to realize it's one-name long.
What a baseless barometer lol.

I don't even care if they fire Quinn, but it's post like this that just make me have to defend him because they're not rooted in reality.

Rangers by my count have lost 16 games by 1 goal, and 6 of those vs. the Flyers, Sabres and Devils.

It could even be more than that when you factor in empty net goals against in games that were essentially one goal games.

Even if they only split those one goal losses, they're a playoff team. Well, not even split, really.

The David Quinn hot takes are getting ridiculous and I think it's time for a reality check.

Let's look at the facts:

Ryan Strome - basically on his last legs before Quinn. Currently 20th in the NHL in scoring.

Pavel Buchnevich - eternally in AVs doghouse. Currently 34th in the NHL in scoring with fuck all PP time AND a top PKer.

Colin Blackwell - 30 games of NHL experience prior to this season. 50 point/82 game pace

Artemi Panarin - point/game player prior to coming here. Has become a perennial Hart candidate

Ryan Lindgren - Third pairing D to top shutdown defender

Adam Fox - Supremely talented to flat out fucking elite

Mika Zibanejad - middle six C that looked like a slightly better Chytil to a top 10 C in the league

Brendan Smith - from "What the fuck happened to you" to "oddly steady glue guy"

Tony DeAngelo - from talented eclectic asshole to elite eclectic asshole

I fully understand that it's frustrating not seeing Laf and Kakko and Chytil and Kravtsov play like Mackinnon and Rantanen and Zibanejad and Kovalev but goddamnit, there's clearly a track record of taking "defensively responsible and offensively talented" and turning it into "great player" here and we have to stop acting like that's completely out the window because it isn't happening immediately with some key assets.

I'm with you there I don't care either way with Quinn. I just dont see enough from certain guys to think a coach is going to make a differnce in them magically living up to the hype. It would eliminate the excuse of it's the coach holding them back though.

I still think they have to shuffle some pieces out and bring in some key adds across the bottom 6. Doing so would require them to move out some guys many would hate to see go.

The David Quinn hot takes are getting ridiculous and I think it's time for a reality check.

Let's look at the facts:

Ryan Strome - basically on his last legs before Quinn. Currently 20th in the NHL in scoring.

Pavel Buchnevich - eternally in AVs doghouse. Currently 34th in the NHL in scoring with fuck all PP time AND a top PKer.

Colin Blackwell - 30 games of NHL experience prior to this season. 50 point/82 game pace

Artemi Panarin - point/game player prior to coming here. Has become a perennial Hart candidate

Mika Zibanejad - middle six C that looked like a slightly better Chytil to a top 10 C in the league

I fully understand that it's frustrating not seeing Laf and Kakko and Chytil and Kravtsov play like Mackinnon and Rantanen and Zibanejad and Kovalev but goddamnit, there's clearly a track record of taking "defensively responsible and offensively talented" and turning it into "great player" here and we have to stop acting like that's completely out the window because it isn't happening immediately with some key assets.

I understand you think the DQ takes are hot, but this list of player growth is absurd to the point of just straight up fake news.

Let's look at the facts:

These aren’t hot takes.

Great. All of what you posted. So he’s given all of that, yet can’t make it translate into consistent hockey. What do you hear Quinn say in press conferences. “Play smart hockey.”

What do we do? Take penalties.

“Play north/south hockey”

What do we do? Play east/west hockey

“Need to get pucks to the net”

What do we do? Pass pass pass pass

What has this team showed you to make you believe next year isn’t going to be the same inconsistent shit? It’s not even about seeing ALF and Kakko being the second coming. It’s about winning hockey games. Progressing forward. It’s just a rollercoaster. That’s Quinn. Rollercoaster of results, rollercoaster of accountability, rollercoaster of lines, decisions, and rollercoaster of effort. I’m positive Quinn is not the right guy to take the next step. All those positives you mentioned above. Still can’t get this team to the next level. This is his leveling off point. The sooner this organization realizes that,the sooner we can get this team to where they need to be.

I understand you think the DQ takes are hot, but this list of player growth is absurd to the point of just straight up fake news.

I'll wait for you to point out what on that list is wrong.

Seriously, go do the legwork and tell me what's not correct about that. Each and every one of those players took clear leaps. Sorry you don't like it because it doesn't make Quinn look bad.

Dude's a solid coach. Is he the right guy to make sure the next generation hits that tier? Fair question.

What a baseless barometer lol.

I don't even care if they fire Quinn, but it's post like this that just make me have to defend him because they're not rooted in reality.

The Rangers burned it down to acquire young players and rebuild. Yes or no?

The Rangers hired a coach renowned for his NCAA bonafides and develpmental skills. Yes or no?

The Rangers have drafted two top-of-class players in back-to-back drafts, both of whom have now played for Quinn, one in his second NHL season, and neither shows significant promise. Yes or no?

The Rangers' other youngest talents, if they are showing progress at all, are showing it gradually. Yes or no?

Let's look at the facts:

All successes. All older but for Lindgren and Fox, which is why I said his U-23 track record is one player long. Lindgren isn't some stud. He's a good player and a quality partner, but he's not the engine on his pairing — Fox is.

And it's not "some key assets." It's all key assets. Kakko is on pace to produce less than his rookie season. Lafreniere is a tire fire. Chytil has shown marginal/gradual growth and is being thrown into effectively every trade proposal because he's not taking significant steps forward. Kravtsov, TBD. Andersson went nowhere fast. I find it hard to believe all of this is bad drafting.

Again, outside of Fox, none of the team's most important young players is making an impact.