• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Trouba Suffers Suspected Concussion; Out for Remainder of Season

Phil

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Kreider thing was just terribly mistimed. If they knew they were getting the top pick, I bet they wouldn't have given him that deal, or any deal, really. Now they are saddled with it, and an even more invisible Kreider than we're used to seeing during his traditional invisibility periods, and it sucks.

I agree that the streakiness is beyond frustrating and that if they knew they were getting Lafrenaire and that Buchnevich would develop the way that he has, they probably would not have offered the full 7 years and something more like a 4-5 year "take it or leave" type offer.

Having said that, Kreider was exactly like this before they gave him the contract and he has been consistent with that since. He is right on pace with his career average tracking towards a 33 goal/50 point 82 game regular season which would be a career best for goals even if he didn't get all the way to 33. He has never been a big assist guy.

While I completely get the frustration with stops and starts on his production, you also have to take into account that when he is scoring goals by the buckets that has a adverse and direct impact on wins.

The team completely folded when Trouba went down. The defense was suddenly very exposed and there was a noticeable hole in the lineup. I've already said this, but the Trouba hate is misguided. He's an incredibly important piece of this team.

It's nice that everyone's playing well (aside from last night). It's nice that Buch is having a career year. But I'd really like to seem them trade Buch, move Kakko and Kravstov up and fill in the 3rd line wing with a heavy veteran forward who can bring a different element. If the Rangers want to make the playoffs next year, you can't have Trouba being the only player willing to toss people around. I'd love for the 4th line to get meaner as well. Islanders looked like a playoff team last night. We did not.

Trouba is an above average defender who's prone to defensive lapses, like anybody. He's not great offensively but is paid like he is. In terms of physicality, he's a one-eyed man in the land of the blind. On a good team, he's a cog. For us he's important because he's the only one who plays the way he does but he's not a player you hitch your wagon to nor is he worth his contract.

Trouba is an above average defender who's prone to defensive lapses, like anybody. He's not great offensively but is paid like he is. In terms of physicality, he's a one-eyed man in the land of the blind. On a good team, he's a cog. For us he's important because he's the only one who plays the way he does but he's not a player you hitch your wagon to nor is he worth his contract.

He's also exactly the kind of player teams rely heavily on in the playoffs. Weber, Muzzin, Pietrangelo, Dillon, etc. are all going to be in similar roles this playoffs.

His problem is his contract. Full stop. The AAV simply isn't commiserate with his production, but the player and the style of play are going to be critical the moment this team finds its playoffs gear.

The team completely folded when Trouba went down. The defense was suddenly very exposed and there was a noticeable hole in the lineup. I've already said this, but the Trouba hate is misguided. He's an incredibly important piece of this team.

It's nice that everyone's playing well (aside from last night). It's nice that Buch is having a career year. But I'd really like to seem them trade Buch, move Kakko and Kravstov up and fill in the 3rd line wing with a heavy veteran forward who can bring a different element. If the Rangers want to make the playoffs next year, you can't have Trouba being the only player willing to toss people around. I'd love for the 4th line to get meaner as well. Islanders looked like a playoff team last night. We did not.

My hope over the next few years is that Miller (6'5" 210) Robertson (6'4" 202) and Schneider (6'2" 202) can learn from Trouba (and even Smith if they bring him back as the 7th D) to play with that mean streak. If those kids can successfully be that physical presence on the back end hopefully they be able to trade Trouba for the last two year of his deal. Love Lindgren, but he's a couple inches to short and 15 pounds to light to be that guy.

He's also exactly the kind of player teams rely heavily on in the playoffs. Weber, Muzzin, Pietrangelo, Dillon, etc. are all going to be in similar roles this playoffs.

His problem is his contract. Full stop. The AAV simply isn't commiserate with his production, but the player and the style of play are going to be critical the moment this team finds its playoffs gear.

I'm still a huge believer that the contract isn't an issue until it stops us financially. At this rate, we aren't going to need big contracts for Laf or Kakko anytime soon. Chytil might be on his way out. We get plenty of cap relief between Shattenkirk and Henrik coming off the books, plus Smith no longer making $4mil. Lindgren and Buch are our biggest ones to take care of, and then Zibanejad and Strome two seasons after that. Once we're prohibited from other moves, it's an issue for me.

Still, in hindsight, he's not and never will be worth the money. Can't blame the guy for signing the contract though.

100%. But let's also not act like there's a decent amount of mistakes he makes in the D zone, which (by the eyeball test) more often than not lead directly to goals. He's your typical 2nd pair D. I'll say even Lindgren is more reliable defensively. I haven't looked at numbers that support that, just the sense I get. I feel better defensively with Lindgren out there than Trouba.

Oh, for sure, because he's pretty slow. You can literally watch guys skate past him when he jumps too far ahead of plays. I'd also blindly agree with that assessment (Lindren > Trouba), but I'm not sure how much of that is lifted because of Fox (versus Miller).

My hope over the next few years is that Miller (6'5" 210) Robertson (6'4" 202) and Schneider (6'2" 202) can learn from Trouba (and even Smith if they bring him back as the 7th D) to play with that mean streak. If those kids can successfully be that physical presence on the back end hopefully they be able to trade Trouba for the last two year of his deal. Love Lindgren, but he's a couple inches to short and 15 pounds to light to be that guy.

I can't speak for Robertson or Schneider so I won't but from what Miller has shown there's no sign of a mean streak in his game. Personally I think that's one part of the game you can't teach it's either there or it's not. Similarly Kreider this amazing physical specimen, strong as a bull we're told, can jump out of a pool yet almost every time pulls up when he has the chance to knock somebody down. We admire Lindgren and his toughness, I think his toughness is because he's the bug that hits the windshield hard, gets bloodied but pops right up and continues on. That's his edge, he's not laying people out and I don't think anybody worries about keeping their head up when he's on the ice. Plugging Jones into an already soft undersized lineup should be even more fun against a team like the Isles.

Speaking of the isles who even after sleeping on it I would say steam rolled us all game long, who other than Martin is even known to be a big hitter? It's more of a team philosophy imo, and that being the case is way harder to change. Just plugging in another guy who may play with an edge or even two (which would be a big step forward for sure) still leaves us with a whole bunch that play an incredibly soft game.

i dont understand where all Trouba hate went

He pulled one of these at the tail end of the season

tenor.gif

The team won 4 games against the worst team in the league and forgot about how bad he is defensively.

Don't worry though he is signed for another decade or something though itll come back sooner rather than later

Lindgren is a +17 to Fox +20. But Fox has 23 points on the PP which Lindgren gets no time. I do believe Lindgren is the Rangers best defenseman and yes, over Fox. Miller continues to make some pretty bad mistakes that lead directly to goals but they must be put in the development jar, hoping he learned something from them. Lindgren isn't big but he plays big and I love that about his game. He should be a keeper.

Lindgren is a +17 to Fox +20. But Fox has 23 points on the PP which Lindgren gets no time. I do believe Lindgren is the Rangers best defenseman and yes, over Fox. Miller continues to make some pretty bad mistakes that lead directly to goals but they must be put in the development jar, hoping he learned something from them. Lindgren isn't big but he plays big and I love that about his game. He should be a keeper.

thats a BIG statement

you're assuming. Didnt you mother teach you not to assume?

He assumed correctly. Foxes hockey IQ is through the roof. Fox uses that in the defensive zone as opposed to mucking physically in front of Shesty. Lindgren gets right into the muck, if that makes any sense.

I can't speak for Robertson or Schneider so I won't but from what Miller has shown there's no sign of a mean streak in his game. Personally I think that's one part of the game you can't teach it's either there or it's not. Similarly Kreider this amazing physical specimen, strong as a bull we're told, can jump out of a pool yet almost every time pulls up when he has the chance to knock somebody down. We admire Lindgren and his toughness, I think his toughness is because he's the bug that hits the windshield hard, gets bloodied but pops right up and continues on. That's his edge, he's not laying people out and I don't think anybody worries about keeping their head up when he's on the ice. Plugging Jones into an already soft undersized lineup should be even more fun against a team like the Isles.

Speaking of the isles who even after sleeping on it I would say steam rolled us all game long, who other than Martin is even known to be a big hitter? It's more of a team philosophy imo, and that being the case is way harder to change. Just plugging in another guy who may play with an edge or even two (which would be a big step forward for sure) still leaves us with a whole bunch that play an incredibly soft game.

What? Did you see what he did to Ovi?

And yes, he's our best defensive-defenseman.

Mason Geertsen. I wasn’t joking. If we need to short term replace Trouba, Geertsen isn’t the worst idea. Could be the second worst I guess but he’s 6-4, 220 lbs, hits and fights. 26 so he’s a career minor pro but still.

Cant just have an entire defense of soft players. Unless Kandre wants to start using his size a bit more

What? Did you see what he did to Ovi?

And yes, he's our best defensive-defenseman.

Actually no I did miss his one laying someone out apparently. I have seen him picking himself up many times and said he's a tough kid because of his ability to pick himself up. At NO time have I ever questioned is defensive ability, the post was about how we got our asses run over all game long last night after Trouba left. Did I miss Lindgren knocking people on their ass with a huge hit in response to any of it last night?

Mason Geertsen. I wasn’t joking. If we need to short term replace Trouba, Geertsen isn’t the worst idea. Could be the second worst I guess but he’s 6-4, 220 lbs, hits and fights. 26 so he’s a career minor pro but still.

Cant just have an entire defense of soft players. Unless Kandre wants to start using his size a bit more

Not sure who this dude is, but in order for K’andre to step in to this type of role, he would need few years experience. I wouldn’t expect him to do everything in his first year.

Things are going right with Key now as a rookie, if he can steep in and be physical down then road, its a blessing.

Unfortunately that anomaly of a 50 point season he put up with the Jets played a big part in him getting a fat juicy contract. Last year he dropped back to is career 25-30 pt season average, which I'll gladly take if he somehow managed to improve his positional play.

Sounds like a good way to win some fights and lose some hockey games. Does Tampa have a real bruiser on the blue line?

Not sure who this dude is, but in order for K’andre to step in to this type of role, he would need few years experience. I wouldn’t expect him to do everything in his first year.

Things are going right with Key now as a rookie, if he can steep in and be physical down then road, its a blessing.

Physicality isn't taught this late in the game. He's either physical or he isn't, and he isn't.

I'm STILL waiting for McDonagh's "mean streak" to develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk