• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Owen Power is Unanimous No. 1 in TSN’s Mid-Season Draft Rankings

Phil

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes and Laf are forwards. What do they gain by scoring 3 points a game against junior players for another year, other than lazy habits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gain size, gain confidence, complete their all around game. They aren’t suddenly playing Chel on super easy, they still have to compete.

I don’t see how struggling in the nhl is any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gain size, gain confidence, complete their all around game. They aren’t suddenly playing Chel on super easy, they still have to compete.

I don’t see how struggling in the nhl is any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kakko would have learned nothing in Liiga, and probably little in the AHL. He was already playing Chel on super-easy there - it's just a big jump.

Laf was scouted as "looking bored" in the Q. He was not eligible for the AHL as the Q actually had a season of sorts.

This isn't an unknown phenomenon either - Barkov, Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Zadina - it's pretty standard stuff to see 18 or 19 year olds struggle. The difference with Kakko and Laf is that they had to fight not only the level of the game, but the ask of a bottom 6 role.

Even if it wasn't the "best" call to have them in the NHL, there weren't really options. Kakko playing 1PP and 1RW minutes in Liiga would have been pointless. Laf playing top 6 minutes in Rimouski would have been pointless. Either of them playing the Providence Bruins 20 times would have been pointless.

Kakko would have learned nothing in Liiga, and probably little in the AHL. He was already playing Chel on super-easy there - it's just a big jump.

Laf was scouted as "looking bored" in the Q. He was not eligible for the AHL as the Q actually had a season of sorts.

This isn't an unknown phenomenon either - Barkov, Hughes, Kotkaniemi, Zadina - it's pretty standard stuff to see 18 or 19 year olds struggle. The difference with Kakko and Laf is that they had to fight not only the level of the game, but the ask of a bottom 6 role.

Even if it wasn't the "best" call to have them in the NHL, there weren't really options. Kakko playing 1PP and 1RW minutes in Liiga would have been pointless. Laf playing top 6 minutes in Rimouski would have been pointless. Either of them playing the Providence Bruins 20 times would have been pointless.

I don't agree at all re: Kakko. When you're too good for Liiga and are blown away by the speed of the NHL, I don't see how the AHL wouldn't have been a good place for him to adjust.