• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Top European Soccer Teams Announce Formation of European Super League

Cash or Czech

For you as a casual American fan, the impact is definitely not really there. You watch it for different reasons than a local fan would after all and to be honest there is a lot of casual fans over here as well, who probably don't really mind much either. Which is why you are probably part of the prime target audience this move is intended for.

From a more traditional european fans view, it's just contrary to anything our sports system was build upon: Clubs - originally formed by ordinary people like you and me - competing which each other on local and national level and then the later added competitions to see who is best in Europe. Of course this is a long gone era (and England is a bit of a special case in regards to how clubs were formed), but this is widely seen as the final blow to what once was and a lot of people hate it.

I was privileged enough to see the last years before soccer totally transformed into a business in the late 90s (again, England was years ahead in that regard) and I do miss it, though I am very aware that there is no going back no matter what. Still, one can dream that we can get back to a point were money wasn't distributed as ridiculously uneven as it is now. If that's not possible I am totally fine with the rich guys doing their own thing, let's see if they can survive without winning against inferior teams every weekend.

Unfortunately for me, it seems Bayern and Dortmund aren't gonna join the new League just yet, likely the last remainder of the old system preventing it. (german Clubs have to be owned by actual club members, can't have a business guys as majority share holder).

Yeah, like I said, I totally get it. It's just not something that is familiar with me because there's really nothing like the European football structure in the US.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/04/19/uefa-champions-league-europa-league-expel/

UEFA are expected to expel Manchester City and Chelsea from the Champions League and Manchester United and Arsenal from the Europa League, according to an executive committee member.

Following the announcement that 12 European clubs intend to set up a breakaway ‘Super League’ to challenge the Champions League as soon as they can, UEFA has been left raging and will discuss their options at an Executive Committee meeting, which could be held in the next 24 hours.

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin responded furiously as European soccer’s governing body confirmed they are looking into their options to stop those clubs playing in European competitions with immediate effect and players for those Super League clubs will not be allowed to play for their national teams.

Whoa boy this is getting interesting

UEFA decision about UCL and UEL semi-finals will be made in the next days after meeting with legal team. Police cars revolving light

They’ll decide whether to exclude City, Chelsea, Real, Man Utd, Arsenal.

Ceferin wants to “ban them as soon as possible”. It’s NOT decided - depends by the legal team.

---

Ceferin (UEFA president) is pisssssssed.

was looking forward to seeing Arsenal get another crack at the Europa League title. but this is 100% warranted. expel everyone. there are consequences for this shit

I feel bad for the players who are not getting a chance to play in international competitions but for the clubs to get taken out of their competitions, fine by me

Kind of sucks the players, who have nothing to do with this, are being hurt by not being able to play for their national teams.

It sucks for the players but it’s the absolute right move. I’m still fuming about this, even as a Man United supporter. Not only is this against the integrity of the game but there is a gigantic impact on a lot of the smaller clubs too. Some of these smaller clubs depend on a bigger club coming to their ground in competition x,y,z. It’s just so short sighted and selfish. My god.

It sucks for the players but it’s the absolute right move. I’m still fuming about this, even as a Man United supporter. Not only is this against the integrity of the game but there is a gigantic impact on a lot of the smaller clubs too. Some of these smaller clubs depend on a bigger club coming to their ground in competition x,y,z. It’s just so short sighted and selfish. My god.

I know it's no different than what we do here, but it's enraging to me. Part of what I love about soccer and hate about American sports is the accountability and the common causes that grow the sport. To see that fans, players, managers, kids, adults - everyone is against this except 15 people who wield a lot of power because they hold the pursestrings - it's soulcrushing.

“Some of these smaller clubs depend on a bigger club coming to their ground in competition x,y,z”.

This is 100% my issue having been around smaller clubs (the local team where I grew up is Gillingham in League One). Just replace “some” with “most”. Even clubs like Burnley survive off the revenue from Liverpool and Man Utd games at home and the crowd it draws (home and away fans).

It all has a trickle down effect. Big players want to play in the ‘best’ competitions against the ‘best’, so these other non European Super League teams attract lesser talent, in turn less people pay to attend as more watch the ESL, which means the EPL generates less income, which in turn means less trickles down the leagues. Say I’m a young talent, like Jack Grealish, why would I want to play for Aston Villa now? If I win the league or finish top 4 I get in the UCL!!! Great, I just don’t get to play at the Bernabeu, Nou Camp, San Siro etc. Instead I get to play against sub par competition and if we ever win it will always be treated with an asterisk.

The players hands are tied so it’s pointless punishing them, albeit player power is probably the quickest way to stop this, it’s greedy billionaire owners. If Messi and Ronaldo came out tomorrow and said fuck your competition, it ain’t going anywhere. Some people dislike football because of the cheating and diving, which I understand, but that only started when the big money got involved because the stakes are that much higher.

My last gripe, lmao, and it’s not that Spurs are included who have won dick in forever, it’s gonna ruin the EPL. If I’m one of the 6 English teams, and I have Barcelona away this Wednesday, and Juventus at home the following Tuesday, guess how strong my team is gonna be against Brighton on Saturday. You play your strongest team in the most important games which will no longer be the EPL because...you will earn more money from winning this European “we have a rich owner who probably conducts money laundering in some form” Less Than Super League.

I’m not bitter as you can likely tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm on whatever side FIFA isnt, because I know its the right side.

I haven't watched European football in series. This super league sounded interesting, though. Oh well, there's always 2031 to try to get my attention again.

Thank god some teams came to their senses. I'm still ashamed my club didnt and even agreed to this in the first place. Certainly has given a bad bad look.

Same, though at the end of the day, I know who Stan Kroenke is and what a heartless asshole he has been in the states. Not really sure why I expected better.

Same, though at the end of the day, I know who Stan Kroenke is and what a heartless asshole he has been in the states. Not really sure why I expected better.

Woodward resigning is the greatest news i could ever have asked for today and the possibility of the Glazers selling. Wow. This might end up being a blessing to United. I'm ecstatic.