• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will the Rangers Make the Playoffs?

Do the Rangers make the playoffs?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Rangers make the playoffs?

• No
    • Yes, over the Bruins
    • Yes, over the Islanders
    • Yes, over the Penguins
    • Yes, over the Capitals

I hate being pessimistic because we've made some strides and hit our groove. But overcoming Mika's bout of COVID, Panarin's absense, and Shesterkin's injury is too much for a shortened season. 82 games? I think we make it. Next season is the real challenge.

I also believe we would have probably made the playoffs this year in a normal year. Should mean good things for next season. For what it's worth, they'll get one more pretty good pick in the 1st round before this team takes another step forward, assuming they don't trade it.

I’m gonna say no. It’s not really in their hands and I just don’t see the Bruins or Islanders falling off enough to make a difference. The Rangers took too long to find their game in a short season.

This. I wouldn't even be surprised to see them miss by one or two points.

My heart says yes, my brain says no.

I picked the Islanders. In the next couple of weeks the Islanders get the Rangers 3 times and the Capitals 3 times. Rangers need a team ahead of them to go into a tailspin and the Islanders look like the best candidate. The Penguins have a bunch of games against Devils, Sabres, and Flyers so it's hard for me to see them collapsing.

Odds are they miss the playoffs, but I'm picking against the odds!

No, but fuck it if it ain't going to be fun to be this close.

If this season were five games longer, I'd say yes.

I do want to note that I think if we do make it, Fletch has the right of it. The Islanders are the team we can control our destiny against more than Boston. It's going to take a herculean finish to get there no matter what, though.

I’m going to vote yes, because the Rangers look like a playoff team and got the job done against a Jersey team they should beat four times if they want to make it. I think it’s Boston though instead of e isles but either way, need to win 9/11 I think to be etc there, and all of them against one of those teams

I don’t actually care though because these last few games are going to be playoff games and that’s the experience the team needs now to grow.

The smart money says no way. Basically, Buffalo has got to go on a run against everyone but the Rangers. The Caps have to somehow feel insecure about the top seed and whup up on the Isles in their remaining games. And/or Pittsburgh needs to fall apart in a bunch of games vs the Flyers, Devils, and Sabres. And NYR would have to be pretty much flawless. So, my bet is no. But if it were to happen, it seems like it would be an Islanders collapse based on some funks they got into during the season - and their playing the Caps a bunch. In any case, it will remain fun, exciting, and somewhat in doubt if the Rangers keep winning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The smart money says no way. Basically, Buffalo has got to go on a run against everyone but the Rangers. The Caps have to somehow feel insecure about the top seed and whup up on the Isles in their remaining games. And/or Pittsburgh needs to fall apart in a bunch of games vs the Flyers, Devils, and Sabres. And NYR would have to be pretty much flawless. So, my bet is no. But if it were to happen, it seems like it would be an Islanders collapse based on some funks they got into during the season - and their playing the Caps a bunch. In any case, it will remain fun, exciting, and somewhat in doubt if the Rangers keep winning.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Best we can do is just keep winning. We have 14 points at risk against teams higher in the standings than we are - that's enough to close a gap.

If the Isles go on a skid, that's really helpful - and with six against the Caps and Rangers coming up here, there's no better time to start chipping away at that gap.

This is total deja vu to last year. Down the stretch the Rangers were playing some of the best hockey in the league and then the shutdowns happened. They got into the playoffs on a new rule for that season. This year, they are on a similar stretch of playing well and beating who they should beat, but could run out of time. lol

The Athletic has a relevant article on this today(below). To summarize it has the Rangers with a 13% chance of making the playoffs and the Bruins, Islanders, Penguins & Caps all having a 95% or better chance; interestingly enough, the Bruins have the highest probability of those four teams based on their schedule for the balance of the regular season.

https://theathletic.com/2318775/2021/04/18/nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-projected-standings/?source=dailyemail

The Athletic has a relevant article on this today(below). To summarize it has the Rangers with a 13% chance of making the playoffs and the Bruins, Islanders, Penguins & Caps all having a 95% or better chance; interestingly enough, the Bruins have the highest probability of those four teams based on their schedule for the balance of the regular season.

https://theathletic.com/2318775/2021/04/18/nhl-stanley-cup-playoffs-projected-standings/?source=dailyemail

Yup.

So what the model is saying here is that the most likely outcome for the Rangers is to finish the season with 13 more points in their remaining 11 games - which is about right for the Rangers to capture around 55% of their points. It also assumes that the Capitals and Islanders will both capture those same 13 points across their final 10.

I don't think that's unrealistic, but the Islanders specifically have the Rangers, Caps, Bruins making up 7 of their final 11. The Rangers are viewing those games as "survival" games and the Caps are viewing them as "hammer down" games. I do think that if we can stay hot, we can close that gap really nicely.

They won't make it, they're not a playoff team. Even though, like last year, they're beating some bottom feeders down the stretch which makes people feel good, they need some seasoning.

No way Quinn gets fired. Nor should he, at this point .

I’m gonna say no. It’s not really in their hands and I just don’t see the Bruins or Islanders falling off enough to make a difference. The Rangers took too long to find their game in a short season.

Unfortunately no.

I agree with Drew, and Morph makes a great point as well. The chase has been fun though!!

Last 2 games are against the Bruins. That's 4 points if they sweep and 4 points is the difference right now. They have to stay at least even and then win those 2 games.

I'm picking the Rangers to make the playoffs. Can't pick against my team.

• Like 1

problem is that those are OUR last two games but not theirs

still, we are in a good spot and just gotta keep rolling. 3 more games against the isles are huge.

Boston plays Buffalo 5 times still, but Buffalo is not the walkover they were for that long stretch any more. they're playing a lot better so I think they can at least take two of those games.

A lot has to happen. But just keep winning games and the rest will take care of itself. As long as we keep getting elite level production from our top guys we can beat ANY team in this division. Which is why I think that even if we sneak in, we can put together a run