• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will the Rangers Make the Playoffs?

Do the Rangers make the playoffs?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do the Rangers make the playoffs?

• No
    • Yes, over the Bruins
    • Yes, over the Islanders
    • Yes, over the Penguins
    • Yes, over the Capitals

This year no. Next year? Absolutely! Beating the Devils is not like beating BOS or WAS but there is something ‘there’ now in this team. D has improved, O has awakened from several players and overall I get a feeling that guys are beginning to play for each other.

This is exactly what I'm seeing as well, Big Guy!!

I've gone with a "next year" mentality all along, but it has been kinda cool watching them grow and learn this year.

Tell ya what though; I'm gonna really miss watching these kids in 3 weeks....and it's gonna feel like an eternity before October when we see them again!

Yes, gonna pass the Isles. 8 points behind them.

Step one, win the 3 head to head. Puts us 2 back. That means we only have to win one more game than them out of the remaining 8.

Isles next 6 games - NYR, WSH, WSH, WSH, NYR, NYR

Rangers next 7 - NYI, PHI, PHI, BUF, BUF, NYI, NYI

We'll pass them by last game of the season series on May 1st.

I wanna vote yes so bad, but I don't think it's happening.

I feel the same. This season has been productive though. Definitely shaping these young guns up for what to expect next season. A couple of small line-up changes and I think sky is the limit next year in a full 82 game season.

I posted this is the other thread and I’ll post it here.

Isles winning doesn’t really kill us either way since the premise of catching them really involves us winning our three meetings left with them. Do that and it still puts you within reach of them regardless. Just would need extra help, which is what we need regardless from other teams anyway. Making the playoffs is not an easy task. Even after these recent 4 games the Rangers realistically need to win 8 or 9 or their next 11 games since you assume the teams they are trying to catch aren’t just rolling over and dying.

That basically means the Rangers would be around 12-3/13-2 over their last 15 games of the season. Now, that sounds impossible. It’s definitely improbable but if you look back at our good stretch last year we are capable of this exact thing.

01/31/20 - 02/27/20 over that 15 game stretch the Rangers were.......12-3 with one win being in ot and another in the shootout and two different 4 game and 5 game win streaks. So the team is capable of this kind of stretch. So let’s not just bow our heads and say impossible. They have it in them. Honestly, these 4 games were a lot bigger than people really realize. Yes the Devils suck. However, this is the NHL. Beating the same team 4 straight games is a huge confidence boost. You could see this push back the last two games and they still came out on top. We are an up and down team but one capable of a long up stretch. Pleassseeee make it right now.

Out of the Pens, Bruins and Piles, the Piles look like the on to pass

They have not played well as of late and can't score

I think they peaked and they are going to tank somewhat

We have 3 games with them to put us 2 behind to go with the other equal amount of games

It’s a no.. the math doesn't check out no matter how deep the tint is on my blue and red glasses.

Someone has to be the best team not in the playoffs.

I guess on the bright side, the guys will get a taste of do or die hockey down the stretch. Even without a playoff berth, there is much to be learned.

There are only two positive things here:

We have the tiebreaker against every team we're chasing, so we only really need to tie.

Five of our last eleven are actual playoff games, because we will very much be in the race if we win those games against BOS or NYI.

Going to be a fun ride!

No. In a 56 game season you can't take a huge shit at the beginning of the season and hope to survive. They've played well since Quinn got COVID but unfortunately there's just too many points to make up now.

I am sad there's only 11 games left. It's just starting to get fun.

No. In a 56 game season you can't take a huge shit at the beginning of the season and hope to survive. They've played well since Quinn got COVID but unfortunately there's just too many points to make up now.

It was getting really fun last season and then the COVID shutdowns happened. It was getting really fun this season and they're going to run out of games. Hopefully next season is a full one and it's really fun the whole time. :D

It was getting really fun last season and then the COVID shutdowns happened. It was getting really fun this season and they're going to run out of games. Hopefully next season is a full one and it's really fun the whole time. :D

I mean, if they get smoked again to start the season, changes have to be made. I think missing the playoffs next year would be a failure. Next year has to be fun from start to finish (even if it ends in a 1st round sweep)

Bingo. You can't make the playoffs in October (or whatever the fuck month we actaully started — time is a flat circle), but you can sure miss them.

If they win the 3 games against the Islanders, then they only have to win 1 more game than the Islanders out of the remaining 8. Totally doable. Just gotta win the 3 head to heads.

I mean, if they get smoked again to start the season, changes have to be made. I think missing the playoffs next year would be a failure. Next year has to be fun from start to finish (even if it ends in a 1st round sweep)

Yes, making the playoffs next year is a must, no question.

If they win the 3 games against the Islanders, then they only have to win 1 more game than the Islanders out of the remaining 8. Totally doable. Just gotta win the 3 head to heads.

It's not impossible statistically to make it, but is it realistic? No. They swept the Devils but the Devils are not an NHL team at this point. Islanders are a different story. Even if they sweep them, they STILL don't have their fate in their own hands. We're talking about making up 8 points with 11 games left if they're going to climb over the Islanders.