• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jersey Ads Could Become Reality As Early As 2022-23 Season

Phil

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that’s true, why were they down so much revenue when the fans couldn’t attend games and they had helmet ads?

NHL is the only major league that makes a majority of it's money through ticket sales and not advertising. You might think that's great, but there's a reason the NBA makes 4 billion more annually than the NHL when they literally play in the same arenas. And when you make that kind of money you can advance your game in way the NHL can't even dream of.

I agree the NHL should market itself better but if you want to compete with the other leagues you need to make money.

And saying the helmet ads are only a drop in the bucket in terms of making up lost money, that's true, but does that mean the NHL should just give up trying to make money all together? Everything's a drop in the bucket. They lost a fuck ton of money. We're lucky all the teams survived.

Yeah, agreed. Whatever it takes to save some teams is worth it. I was fearful of a handful of teams having to suspend operations or fold or move or whatever. Thankfully that didn't happen. While I think hockey is getting bigger, it just doesn't have the finances like MLB or NFL to get through something like this without being a little creative. I'm not going to really like advertisements on jerseys on helmets, but it's better than the alternative.

If that’s true, why were they down so much revenue when the fans couldn’t attend games and they had helmet ads?

Because advertisers pulled out. The entire marketing industry was one giant make good for the entire year plus of Covid.

There are literally no fans in the arena. Why the hell would any advertiser give you full freight, or anything even close to it, to market their products to no one?

The thing I hate about the virtual on ice ads is the arenas no longer have the "Stanley Cup Playoffs" banner in the ice just inside the blue lines because that's where they're placing the ads instead. Fucking dumb. You're selling out your own brand for digital ads. What would have been so bad about putting the ads in the same spot on the other side of the blue line in the neutral zone? Or, if its that big of a deal regarding ice "location" then put the damn playoff banner in the neutral zone instead. Don't get rid of it completely.

I know what I am complaining about is mostly insignificant but I always thought it was a nice touch. Especially the "Stanley Cup Final" banner. They better not leave that out.