• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoff Push — Magic Number Thread

Blue Heaven

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, everyone and their mother said a good team in the East was goi g to miss the playoffs because of this format. No surprises here. Just sucks we might be that team.

Should make the four wildcard spots leaguewide instead of conference wide.

Just a thought, you know, since when unfortunate shit happens to some teams, they just change the rules, right Steve Yzerman?

The B’s, beaten by the Sabres on Friday and by the Penguins on Sunday afternoon, still hold two games in hand. They have nine to go, as opposed to seven for the Rangers, whose final two games are set to be played in Boston on May 6 and 8. The Bruins will still have two to play following that set, one at home against the Islanders before their finale in Washington.

So the Rangers in essence need to pick up at least four points on the Bruins over the next five games and then sweep Boston in regulation time. Owning the regulation wins tiebreak, that would clinch a playoff spot.

The Blueshirts have another at the Garden on Tuesday against the Sabres, then a pair against the Islanders in a home and home, before two at the Garden against the Capitals preceding the trip to Boston.

The Bruins have another in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, two at home against the Sabres and two in New Jersey — read that and weep — before the Rangers come to town.

There are other configurations for the Rangers, who could leave Boston with a one-point, two-point or three-point lead and then hope the Bruins don’t sweep their final two, but that would take the club’s fate out of its own destiny. Which is just the situation at this very moment.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/25/new-york-rangers-playoff-pulse-keeps-getting-stronger/

I really think just the chase of us going through this is helping these kids mightily!! Whether we make it in or not, I still think we made a ton of progress this season...not to mention the boat loads of entertainment; I've been glued to this team since we dropped the puck back in January....I watched every single game...be it through foggy goggles or not! :rofl:

I can't help it, I love these kids!

I'm curious to see what moves we make in the off season...I think when October rolls around, we're going to be really amped for next season.

They have been playing fine, but I think it's too tough of a schedule, but we'll see. At best I see them splitting the two games each with the Islanders and Capitals. They have played Washington tough this year, so who knows, and they can match up with Boston. Tomorrow is obviously a must win if they're going to have any chance at all.

Indeed. You're getting the vibes from late last year where this team was playing some of the best hockey in the league before the shutdowns, and was basically must watch. Exciting regardless, and there's even more to get excited about from this season.

I don't mean to be annoying, but just for perspective the Rangers lost 5 of their last 7 before the shutdown last season (1 in OT). While that stretch included Mika's 5 goal game in an OT win against the Caps, their hot run had definitely cooled by the time they called the season. Doesn't mean they couldn't have caught some late fire and been in the playoff hunt, but that's not what was happening at the end.

https://theathletic.com/2554568/2021/04/30/rangers-dream-is-all-but-dead-after-a-typical-big-game-performance/?source=emp_shared_article&redirected=1

So, to extrapolate: If the Rangers win their remaining five games (and that means beating the Islanders Saturday, then beating the Capitals twice, then beating the Bruins twice in Boston to end their season) they finish with 68 points. Now assume, if they go 5-0, they’ll hold the tiebreaker. Well, they can’t catch the Bruins, if the B’s get five points (so, 2-4-1?), and they can’t catch the Islanders if the Isles get four points (so 2-4?). That’s how bleak it is.

Rangers 52p

Nashville 51p (4th in Central)

Montreal 47p (4th in North)

Arizona 45p (4th in West)

Basically out of the playoff race in our division but would be in a playoff spot in any other division.

I know they've blown way too many games, but man are they getting fucked by this new format. Would have a WC spot if it was top 3 in each division and 2 WC spots in each conference too.

But then Nashville would be playing NJ, Buffalo and Philly - the 2 worst teams and the biggest slumping team