• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoff Push — Magic Number Thread

Blue Heaven

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that the Rangers can't catch them, but Boston being put into their division really hurt their chances of getting into the playoffs. But, this is great experience either way, and if one or two things more went differently, New York might even be ahead of them a bit in the standings.

It really has nothing to do with Boston being in the division. They're on the outside looking in due to the following:

1. Zib's putrid start

2. Panarin missing 11 games

3. Shesty missing 3 weeks

Without those issues they're likely looking at a record closer to 26-11-6 for 58 points. Not only that but those 5 loses turned to wins mean wins turned to loses for the teams ahead of them. They'd be battling for 1st in the division if not for those setbacks, but such is life. Time to buckle down and battle now.

Not that the Rangers can't catch them, but Boston being put into their division really hurt their chances of getting into the playoffs. But, this is great experience either way, and if one or two things more went differently, New York might even be ahead of them a bit in the standings.

Doesn't matter. You make the playoffs on your own merit. They were fucking garbage most of the season. Even in games they've won, they've been terrible for half the game. The blame is all on the Rangers, not the division opponents or anything like that.

• Like 1

It really has nothing to do with Boston being in the division. They're on the outside looking in due to the following:

1. Zib's putrid start

Without those issues they're likely looking at a record closer to 26-11-6 for 58 points. Not only that but those 5 loses turned to wins mean wins turned to loses for the teams ahead of them. They'd be battling for 1st in the division if not for those setbacks, but such is life. Time to buckle down and battle now.

Well, that's why I said it didn't help, but it wouldn't have been impossible to do, but those setbacks hurt. Actually, if you just take the Panarin missing all of those games, that alone makes a lot of difference, not even factoring in the other two. You figure even if they win an extra three or four games at least with him in there, they're past the Bruins.

Doesn't matter. You make the playoffs on your own merit. They were fucking garbage most of the season. Even in games they've won, they've been terrible for half the game. The blame is all on the Rangers, not the division opponents or anything like that.

Yeah, it was kind of copy of last year. I don't remember what their record was early on, but they didn't start playing really well until February or so, and then the shutdowns happened. But yeah, they certainly put themselves in a hole last season as well.

1. Zib's putrid start

There's also a pretty goddamn reasonable argument that they've just been stupidly unlucky.

Basically - even without those Flyers games, the Rangers should have at least one more win - including them, more like four. Assuming they don't get blown out for any games for the rest of the season, they could finish top 5 in goal differential and miss the playoffs, which would be an utterly absurd situation.

1. Zib's putrid start

Goalies attempting to play the puck in OT has cost them twice. Again, its on the guys in the lockerroom.

They lost the Zibanejad/Chytil open net misses game, too, right?

1. Zib's putrid start

we're 7th GA/G (as you posted elsewhere), 10th in shots against, with 2nd best PK. There are 16 teams making the playoffs and the rangers are on the outside looking in. I think its the coach

we're 7th GA/G (as you posted elsewhere), 10th in shots against, with 2nd best PK. There are 16 teams making the playoffs and the rangers are on the outside looking in. I think its the coach

Nope. Zib and Panarin all the way.

Beginning of season to 3/12 (25 games):

- Zib had 9 points in 25 games.

- Team was averaging 2.68 GF/G

- PP was ranked 26th (15.4%)

- 10-12-3 record

Panarin came back on 3/13. With Panarin back and Zib scoring (18 games):

- Zib has 25 points in 18 games

- Team is averaging 4.00 GF/G

- PP is 7th (25.5%)

- 11-4-3 record

If Panarin doesn't miss that time maybe Zib even gets out of his funk sooner.

It seems like Quinn changed his approach about a week after he came back from COVID. Played the kids more, less structure & more skating. Guys started adjusting and going to the net, shooting more. A visibility different team.

NHL network were talking about how the Rangers are such a fun team to watch and they said that the Rangers would essentially have to have a 10-3 record for the remaining games to get into the playoffs. Is it possible? Yes but improbable. Hey whatever, love watching them because they are such a great Cinderella story. LGRs!!!

I’m starting to wonder if the Islanders might be the team we would end up catching up possibly.

After tonight’s loss, we have a game in hand with them, are down by 10 points, and play them three more times.

Remaining games

Islanders

@ PHI

vs NYR

vs WSH

vs WSH

@ WSH

@ NYR

vs NYR

@ BUF

@ BUF

vs NJD

vs NJD

@ BOS

Rangers

vs NJD

@ NJD

@ NYI

vs PHI

vs PHI

vs BUF

vs BUF

vs NYI

@ NYI

vs WSH

vs WSH

@ BOS

@ BOS

I like our schedule a hell of a lot better and those three games against them directly are huge. Unlikely but not out of the realm.

I’m starting to wonder if the Islanders might be the team we would end up catching up possibly.

After tonight’s loss, we have a game in hand with them, are down by 10 points, and play them three more times.

Remaining games

I like our schedule a hell of a lot better and those three games against them directly are huge. Unlikely but not out of the realm.

Interesting. I think you're right. And Boston has a cupcake schedule too. I didn't realize the Islanders were this "close".

Remaining games

??? NYR have 2 games vs. NJD left, not 3....Also you have to add another game vs. Boston (last 2 games of the year are vs. Boston).

So the remaining schedule is essentially the NYR play Boston and PHI 1 more time than the Isles do, and the Isles play Washington 1 more time than the Rangers do...NYR/NYI play the NJD/BUF the same amount of games (4). So essentially the schedule is a wash, Rangers don't have that much of a better schedule than the Isles do.

??? NYR have 2 games vs. NJD left, not 3....Also you have to add another game vs. Boston (last 2 games of the year are vs. Boston).

So the remaining schedule is essentially the NYR play Boston and PHI 1 more time than the Isles do, and the Isles play Washington 1 more time than the Rangers do...NYR/NYI play the NJD/BUF the same amount of games (4). So essentially the schedule is a wash, Rangers don't have that much of a better schedule than the Isles do.

I’ll correct. I apologize. The point was we play the isles 3 more times. The rest I disagree with. I prefer our schedule.