• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba's Impact: "He creates a mentality in our locker room"

Phil

Jacob Trouba is more of an acquired taste, one whose subtleties (and some quite non-subtleties) don’t show up on scoresheets.

He has games, and has had many of them lately, where his most obvious impacts are felt in bruises by opposing players, as was the case Tuesday when the Rangers beat the Devils.

“He brings to the table an awful lot of the things that we don’t have throughout our lineup,” Quinn said. “I mean, this guy’s kind of a throwback in a lot of ways to his approach to playing the game. The thing that’s underrated about him is his puck skill. I think he can really make a great outlet pass.

“He plays hard. He creates a mentality in our locker room and he means an awful lot to us on and off the ice. People have touched on the leadership aspect that he’s kind of embraced here this year, but I certainly like what’s going on on the ice as well.”

“He’s been a huge leader to this team and he brings it every night,” Miller, who logged a sturdy game-high 23:54 of ice time, said recently. “He’s always a guy to count on if you just need to sit down and talk to somebody, kind of pick his mind on the game and really see where his thoughts are. He’s been obviously a good guy for me to go to about anything. His leadership and his time in the game, it’s really easy to learn off of. He gives us that confidence every game. Especially me.”

https://theathletic.com/2523469/2021/04/16/he-creates-a-mentality-in-our-locker-room-jacob-troubas-impact-and-more-thoughts-on-the-streaking-rangers/?source=user_shared_article

I know he gets knocked a lot, but I gotta say I think he's been the perfect D partner for Miller. He covers for some of Miller's mistakes and is enough of a safety blanket to allow him to take risks and grow as a player.

Like some players on the roster, maybe he's a little bit overpaid but it evens out with the cost of young players making an imapact on ELC's so i dont worry about that too much

He's definitely overpaid. They paid him like a 60-point defender because of what was very likely an aberration year instead of the 40~ point defender he actually is. But he's still a good player, and I'd argue, the exact kind of guy you want around a really young defensive group, and exactly the kind of player you will rely on in the playoffs.

My problem with Trouba is that he is not good enough offensively, or defensively to play higher than a second pair. Hes paid entirely too much but its the NTC and the roster spot which will likely be needed in the next 1-3 seasons that is unavailable that really bothers me.

His physical presence is over rated- guy misses hits more often than he makes meaningful ones and usually at the expense of a good defensive play.

OK so hes a good locker room guy and I probably pick on him a bit but hes going to have to play a lot better if you want to convince me hes good for this team.

I watched his interview the other night. He's definitely hit the gym of late. Holy shit! ....this dude is fucking jacked!

We need physical players, and Trouba can hit pretty damn hard. I've beat him up pretty bad this year too, but I gotta say, that over the past 3 weeks or so, I've noticed a little more aggression in him. He's taking more shots and throwing the body with a lot more reckless abandon.

If this guy is taking charge in that locker room, and helping these kids mature the right way, then fuck it. It's an added feature I didn't expect outta this guy. Trouba learned from Big Buff, and if he can pass it on to these kids, I'm loving every minute of it. Miller has been absolutely fabulous this year, and it may just have a little to do with his partner.

I try to forget his contract when I watch him play. It makes it easier to digest....BUT he's definitely going to be a player we will need when the playoffs come a knockin'.

Again, Trouba becomes trade eligible in 24-25, when Gorton will be under huge cap pressure having to pay a bunch of budding stars (we hope). Until then, I don't see what useful purpose whimpering endlessly about his money serves. Gorton is building a team. For some he will pay too much, others he'll get a deal on. Trouba is definitely in the former category but right now he is playing much better and serving what appears to be a unique leadership and mentoring role for the toddlers during their first critical stretch drive for the playoffs. These games are seminal experience for a team whose biggest deficiency is lack of experience. (Not "relating to or denoting semen." The other definition.) I don't know if Kreider has disappeared from the room in the same way he has disappeared from the ice, but in the absence of others to step up and lead, I'm really glad Trouba's here - even at $8m.
  • Like 8

Could more tolerate his lack of offense if he was more of a force in front of his net. He backs up almost to the end line on opposing forwards entering his zone, very tentative, when he could simply body them up. Creates open shots and passing lanes. Clear teams have scouted it. Every defender is going to fail from time to time, but until recently he was really nonphysical. He has been better lately. But the Michelletti constant selling him is tiresome. Sounds like someone at M$G put that idea in his head.

Again, Trouba becomes trade eligible in 24-25, when Gorton will be under huge cap pressure having to pay a bunch of budding stars (we hope). Until then, I don't see what useful purpose whimpering endlessly about his money serves. Gorton is building a team. For some he will pay too much, others he'll get a deal on. Trouba is definitely in the former category but right now he is playing much better and serving what appears to be a unique leadership and mentoring role for the toddlers during their first critical stretch drive for the playoffs. These games are seminal experience for a team whose biggest deficiency is lack of experience. (Not "relating to or denoting semen." The other definition.) I don't know if Kreider has disappeared from the room in the same way he has disappeared from the ice, but in the absence of others to step up and lead, I'm really glad Trouba's here - even at $8m.

Completely nails it, IMO.

You guys can lock up this thread with that post from RG!!!

Well put, man!

:cheers:

My problem with Trouba is that he is not good enough offensively, or defensively to play higher than a second pair. Hes paid entirely too much but its the NTC and the roster spot which will likely be needed in the next 1-3 seasons that is unavailable that really bothers me.

His physical presence is over rated- guy misses hits more often than he makes meaningful ones and usually at the expense of a good defensive play.

OK so hes a good locker room guy and I probably pick on him a bit but hes going to have to play a lot better if you want to convince me hes good for this team.

Trouba's not good enough defensively to play higher than a second pair?

He's playing 22 minutes a night, against the top opposing players, and the Rangers allow the 10th fewest shots per game, 7th fewest GA/G, and 2nd best PK.

I don't have anything else to add to this. Perfectly said.

It's this, 100%. I don't think Trouba's a poor player by any stretch, and he's valuable beyond the ice too. It's that he's a 6-ish million dollar player making 8.

He'll be dealt in 24, and it'll be a tough loss for the team, imo.

So frustrating to watch him...he's been the same guy since he was a rookie, too. I wanna jump on that bandwagon so bad, because you see it there...he does everything we need him to do....SOMETIMES....then ...the vanishing act...FOR WEEKS!

Give the "C" .....to "give him the fucking electric chair"!! :rofl:

So frustrating to watch him...he's been the same guy since he was a rookie, too. I wanna jump on that bandwagon so bad, because you see it there...he does everything we need him to do....SOMETIMES....then ...the vanishing act...FOR WEEKS!

Give the "C" .....to "give him the fucking electric chair"!! :rofl:

If history is any indicator, he's mere days away from showing up and going on a heater.

Something has loosened with this team recently and I cannot quite understand why. Trouba has shown himself to be a more physical player of late and the recent scoring run is great too. Keep it up.

I am starting to think they are one of those teams that just play better towards the end of the season. They were on fire last season before the covid break.

He's definitely overpaid. They paid him like a 60-point defender because of what was very likely an aberration year instead of the 40~ point defender he actually is. But he's still a good player, and I'd argue, the exact kind of guy you want around a really young defensive group, and exactly the kind of player you will rely on in the playoffs.

Yeah exactly this. It’s also the old Drury or Gomez argument. Don’t remember which one we used to say it about but we judge based on pay, which isn’t necessarily his fault. But we do. I do at least lol. He probably brings a lot we don’t see but on the ice, he is overpaid. He will be an important part of our playoff success though.

What a load of crap

Will rep when I get home. [emoji51]

Trouba's not good enough defensively to play higher than a second pair?

He's playing 22 minutes a night, against the top opposing players, and the Rangers allow the 10th fewest shots per game, 7th fewest GA/G, and 2nd best PK.

incredible defensive stats. So WTF arent we making the playoffs?

Something has loosened with this team recently and I cannot quite understand why. Trouba has shown himself to be a more physical player of late and the recent scoring run is great too. Keep it up.

A little bit of consistency I think just goes a long way to let you grip the stick a bit less, make a play with a bit less hesitation, and calm thing just enough for them to relax.