• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eichel Alternatives

Already saw one alternative (Giroux). Figured I would start a thread of other potential alternatives.

Brayden Point: Tampa escaped cap hell this year only because Kucherov's 9.5 million was stashed on LTIR. This summer it's back to cap hell. The Rangers have an excess of cheap young talent that would be beneficial for Tampa. I would do about the same package for Point as for Eichel. A little bit less.

My offer: Chytil, Lundkvist, Blackwell, 1st for Point

Steven Stamkos: Again, Tampa will need to make moves for cap. Stamkos is 31 so factor in age here. He is signed until he is 34. I would give a similar package for Stamkos as Point. Maybe the 2nd instead of the 1st.

Anze Kopitar: This is a tougher sell, as he's 33 and signed for 3 more years at 10M per. But he still produces, wins faceoffs, and is obviously a proven winner. I think he will be Joe Thornton like with production in his mid 30s. He's also a 2x Selke winner. Would LAK trade him? They aren't likely to be legit contenders for at least a couple of more seasons. They are also extraordinarily deep at C in the farm. If we are serious about being legit contenders starting next year, Kopitar would be a great add.

Price: Buchnevich, Chytil, Robertson

Claude Giroux: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?23966-Forget-Eichel-Get-Giroux

Stand Pat/Zib/Strome/Chytil: this option is boring for a message board, but it is obviously a good (maybe even likely) option for the Rangers to go. This goes to show what a great position they have set themselves up with. There is no pressure to make a move if they don't want or if the price isn't right. Kudos to Gorton as far as that is concerned.

Who else might be targets?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Krejci. He's 34. UFA at the end of the year. Requires no players going the other way and provides leadership, FO% and experience. He's won a cup and can play anywhere in the lineup. Will likely be on pretty cheap contract by comparison.

I don't know about the latter, but yeah, he's basically Giroux, with harder miles, and available a year earlier.

Strome is outproducing and/or half the price of those guys.

They need a BIG, defensively responsible C with leadership that can also put up points. Most importantly, it needs to be a guy that shows up consistently - not so much on the scoreboard, but during games. Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil, Howden have to be the inconsistently visible center depth in league history.

So, before you re-evaluate your potential C acquisitions, you have to evaluate what they currently have. And as far as I can tell, the only thing they have is a 2C (Strome). Yet, that seems to be the position we try to replace... doesnt make sense.

Three paths here:

Elite, aging UFA group - this is your Giroux bucket, but also Malkin, Bergeron, Pavelski - all up next season. Getzlaf if you think he's got punch left after this season. Reason to believe all of them will be looking to either retire or join new teams.

Trade for term that doesn't fit the team - Eichel and Kopitar already mentioned, but you can probably put Logan Couture in this group, Ryan Johansen, Jonathon Toews, maybe Ryan O'Reilly, maybe Sean Monahan, maybe William Karlsson.

Swing for the fences youth with little term/cap struggles: - this is where you find Barkov, Hertl, Zibanejad, and Strome in the FA world, and guys like Point, Cirelli in the trade world.

The problem, IMO, is what Josh said - if you need a 2c, why aren't you just keeping Strome? Any of the guys we're looking at are either "overpaid 3c" or "Zib replacement", really, unless Strome wants a palette and we just want to give him a bag.

Strome is outproducing and/or half the price of those guys.

They need a BIG, defensively responsible C with leadership that can also put up points. Most importantly, it needs to be a guy that shows up consistently - not so much on the scoreboard, but during games. Zibanejad, Strome, Chytil, Howden have to be the inconsistently visible center depth in league history.

So, before you re-evaluate your potential C acquisitions, you have to evaluate what they currently have. And as far as I can tell, the only thing they have is a 2C (Strome). Yet, that seems to be the position we try to replace... doesnt make sense.

There's no outproducing going on. Strome/Stamkos/Point are all at the same level. Kopitar is actually putting up more points than all of them, at a pace better than a PPG. Actually, Kopitar is the type of C you are describing that we need (and I agree).

There's also the question of future production. The guys I've listed have scored at a higher pace than Strome's career year here for a while now. They are much more guaranteed to continue trend. Strome is at a 72 point 82 game pace this season. Stamkos and Point are both right around that this year as well, arguably a slight down year for both. Stamkos is typically a 90 point player and Point is typically very close to a PPG player, with a 90 point season under his belt already too.

The Rangers actually have two 2Cs now. I like Zibanejad more for that role than Strome. Strome doesn't offer much defensively, though he has improved some.

Trade one of the D not yet on the team, along with Buch and Chytil for Eichel. Move Zib to the wing (with Eichel preferably). Start figuring how much Strome demands the following year and go from there. If Strome wants crazy money that he will deserve, the decision becomes paying Zib or Strome... Or both depending on their production through next season. Zib value took a hit this season. If they can lock him up in the 7- 8 mill range AND get Strome in the 7s, I think it works great. I'd have to check the numbers, but it probably works for at least 3 years.

Wait one more year until Barkov becomes a UFA or trade for him earlier

Man...if only that could happen. Just don't see it as realistic unless he wants a big market above all else. Florida is a good team. He's the captain. Florida will pay him whatever he wants to stay. No income tax. Great year round weather. The list goes on for why he should stay.

Trade one of the D not yet on the team, along with Buch and Chytil for Eichel. Move Zib to the wing (with Eichel preferably). Start figuring how much Strome demands the following year and go from there. If Strome wants crazy money that he will deserve, the decision becomes paying Zib or Strome... Or both depending on their production through next season. Zib value took a hit this season. If they can lock him up in the 7- 8 mill range AND get Strome in the 7s, I think it works great. I'd have to check the numbers, but it probably works for at least 3 years.

Eichel/Zib/Strome would work for one year, then you'd have to choose between Zib and Strome. The numbers just don't work for all 3 when you factor in the Rangers should sign Fox to a long term deal the second his ELC is up after next year (8x8?).

Cirelli, I think, would be a much more likely target out of Tampa.

:(

the guy I wanted. Hell, we could have traded for Cirelli and given him ADAs contract, even if it meant giving up on Chytil and up the middle we would have been very good with Ziby, Strome, Cirelli and let the future play out the same way as we will do currently. Hindsight.

Point would be a worthwhile upgrade. No thanks on Stamkos the guy is constantly injured and Point is better anyway. Barkov would be a great add. I would also throw Dubois into the mix as well. He would be the perfect fit. His contract has another year left in which time he's a RFA again. Does he sign long term with Winnipeg? Lots of players have wanted out of there and Chevy their GM is always looking for controllable assets because of players leaving. If Dubois wants to stay there then its a nonstarter but I'm not so sure he won't be available.

Point and Strome have the same faceoff %, just an FYI. Also Point has been on a downward trend since his 92 point season, while Strome has improved year over year. I'm not saying Strome > Point, because I haven't watched Point play much if at all, but the stats aren't there to say at this point in time that it's a clear upgrade. Then, factor in the assets required to acquire Point versus re-sign Strome.

Point and Strome have the same faceoff %, just an FYI. Also Point has been on a downward trend since his 92 point season, while Strome has improved year over year. I'm not saying Strome > Point, because I haven't watched Point play much if at all, but the stats aren't there to say at this point in time that it's a clear upgrade. Then, factor in the assets required to acquire Point versus re-sign Strome.

Meh, the previous 2 seasons Point was over 50% in the circle. Strome has never had a season that good.

Point has 3 seasons with 25 or more goals. 2 seasons of 30+, 1 season 40+. Strome, for all of his progress, has never scored 20 goals.

Point has also been recognized for his defensive play. Nobody is going to be saying that about Strome.

And Point has 3 years less NHL time as Strome. It's not close.

Meh, the previous 2 seasons Point was over 50% in the circle. Strome has never had a season that good.

Point has 3 seasons with 25 or more goals. 2 seasons of 30+, 1 season 40+. Strome, for all of his progress, has never scored 20 goals.

Point has also been recognized for his defensive play. Nobody is going to be saying that about Strome.

And Point has 3 years less NHL time as Strome. It's not close.

Don't forget Point had 14 goals and 33 points in 23 playoff games last year. Playoff career, 22 goals and 50 points in 44 games. Sign me up for production when it counts, but this is the same deal as Eichel. It's not Point or Strome, it's Point or Zib because you can't afford new deals for both Point and Zib.

Don't forget Point had 14 goals and 33 points in 23 playoff games last year. Playoff career, 22 goals and 50 points in 44 games. Sign me up for production when it counts, but this is the same deal as Eichel. It's not Point or Strome, it's Point or Zib because you can't afford new deals for both Point and Zib.

Yes you can: http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?23205-Rangers-Interested-in-Eichel&p=1062146&viewfull=1#post1062146

So that works for one year. The for 22-23 you need to resign Zib, Kravtsov, Kakko, and Fox, a backup goalie, a 4th line, and you're hoping Barron is your 3C? with $28 million. The the following summer you need to resign Laf and Miller.

It looks good for next year but 10 guys are on ELC's or cheaper. You're gambling that none of those kids explode in the next year or two and earn a bigger raise.

Point is a wonderful player, but he scares me.

Cause he’s barely 5’9” and 175 lbs soaking wet.

I’m in no way shape or form a believer in bigger is better, or that size dictates ability.

But I was 10 feet from him at a Lightning game... and let me tell you, dude is TINY.

And he plays in the middle of the ice.

Does he make it to 30 without major injury?

Not saying it’s a certainty, but there is a reason that we question the durability of smaller players.

It’s because they are traditionally a little less durable

Love him. Really I do.

But I can’t see them letting him go. Price would be enormous if they did. And concerns on him arevreal

Point is a wonderful player, but he scares me.

Cause he’s barely 5’9” and 175 lbs soaking wet.

I’m in no way shape or form a believer in bigger is better, or that size dictates ability.

But I was 10 feet from him at a Lightning game... and let me tell you, dude is TINY.

And he plays in the middle of the ice.

Does he make it to 30 without major injury?

Not saying it’s a certainty, but there is a reason that we question the durability of smaller players.

It’s because they are traditionally a little less durable

Love him. Really I do.

But I can’t see them letting him go. Price would be enormous if they did. And concerns on him arevreal

Not going to lie, I looked up arevreal to see if its a real word or a typo :rofl:

I might be in the minority but I really like Strome and wouldnt mind keeping him if possible. he works well with Panarin. You might get a better player but you cant ignore the connection those two seem to have.

Hopefully Chytil steps it up a bit next year too and we have a solid 1,2, 3C with Barron taking over the empty spot on the fourth line... oh wait its not empty Howden plays there.