• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eichel Alternatives

Laugh, but we had just drafted MDZ, Stepan, and Grachev, had a 24 year old Dan Girardi, 22 year old Marc Staal, 21 year old Michael Sauer, 24 year old Nik Zherdev, 22 year old Dubi, 23 year old Callahan and Dawes, 20 year old Anisimov, 22 year old Korpikoski, and the gem of the system...a 19 year old Alexei Cherepanov. That was a pretty damn impressive collection of kids.

I was hyped, dude.

Dude, the Cherepanov tragedy totally screwed things up. They did have a really nice collection of youth, but that loss was just devastating for the franchise. I really thought MDZ was going to be our next Leetch-type player, I was stoked. A shame about Sauer as well. I really wanted Zherdev to come here and succeed, as it would have made me feel better about the Rangers picking Jessiman in that draft. lol

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, the Cherepanov tragedy totally screwed things up. They did have a really nice collection of youth, but that loss was just devastating for the franchise. I really thought MDZ was going to be our next Leetch-type player, I was stoked. A shame about Sauer as well. I really wanted Zherdev to come here and succeed, as it would have made me feel better about the Rangers picking Jessiman in that draft. lol

I think it speaks to how important depth is. Sauer and Cherepanov are extreme cases, but MDZ fell off hard and fast, so did Zherdev. Dawes and Korpikoski never quite became what we thought they'd be in the NHL. Anisimov and Stepan were probably both better than advertised, but not elite players. Let's not discuss Grachev.

Even when we think about our "issue" with high end defense prospects here - have to keep some of this in the back of our minds.

I think it speaks to how important depth is. Sauer and Cherepanov are extreme cases, but MDZ fell off hard and fast, so did Zherdev. Dawes and Korpikoski never quite became what we thought they'd be in the NHL. Anisimov and Stepan were probably both better than advertised, but not elite players. Let's not discuss Grachev.

Even when we think about our "issue" with high end defense prospects here - have to keep some of this in the back of our minds.

Indeed. You can never have enough, whether it's more assets for making trades or for the simple fact not all of them will work out.

Thats what I mentioned in the other thread a while back- not every prospect is going to be as good as advertised. Thats why I hate the idea of moving someone for eichel before we know which prospects are for real or not.

Sure, that's fine, but establish that he wants to stay now at a reasonable price then. It's not good asset management to let a 65-75 point player walk for nothing. Can't blame a player if he's choosing 5x7.5 in a lower income tax state over 5x6 in a high income tax state.

Then I'd approach in January.

If this team is shit again next year at the deadline, and you have Strome and Zibanejad locked up long-term, that's not helping.

Then I'd approach in January.

If this team is shit again next year at the deadline, and you have Strome and Zibanejad locked up long-term, that's not helping.

I'm fine with them both locked up long term in a tough year. I'm not fine with it if the number is too big though. Moderate on both of them - less McDavid/Draisaitl and more Krejci/Bergeron

I'm fine with them both locked up long term in a tough year. I'm not fine with it if the number is too big though. Moderate on both of them - less McDavid/Draisaitl and more Krejci/Bergeron

Exactly what you want. And if that environment is created, you can sign Malkin for $5m for a season at a time.

#RussianMeddling

I was too. First time as a rangers fan where we actually had prospects to root for. I only laugh because its a joke how much of a better group of prospects they have now. Though to be honest this group could use a Dubinsky or a Callahan.
God I hope that Cuylle turns out to be good at hockey, although the signs ain't great so far. He wants to be Tom Wilson and we sure could use one of those.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Let's just be real - Strome's peaking at the right time and he's earned a raise. It's just a question of how much he wants to be in NY and how much he wants to earn. He's got 98 points across the last two seasons, he's got amazing chemistry with our most important forward, he's extremely respected in the clubhouse and as a leader, and the numbers he's putting up let him command 8+ on the open market if he so desires it.

He can get the bag right now. There's no doubt. It's a question of does he want it.

If I'm Gorton, I'm talking to him and Zib this summer and seeing if I can't get them both to agree to four year deals in the 6.5 range. They'll be young enough on the tail end of those deals to sign another long-ish deal, both of them get handsome raises, and it sets a culture tone. Plus, that sets up a clear four-year timeline - if we hit a wall, Bread, Trouba, Zib, Strome are all UFAs at the same time.

12-15m for those two together is a win-win proposition - just a matter of who gets what.

You're not getting Zib for $6.5.

Not to mention, I'm not sure how it's that much different than Strome/Zibanejad, or the other 90% of our entire roster basically.

another reason not to give away a ton of youth for an expensive contract.

another reason not to give away a ton of youth for an expensive contract.

Agreed. I'd give away Lundkvist and another mid level prospect in a deal, which I don't think is a ton. As much as I might want to see all these kids in blue, there isn't a spot for every one of them on the team.

Agreed. I'd give away Lundkvist and another mid level prospect in a deal, which I don't think is a ton. As much as I might want to see all these kids in blue, there isn't a spot for every one of them on the team.

Only reason I'd be hesitant to trade away a D prospect is because (brace yourselves) how well they've adjusted to the NHL under Quinn. Fox was acquired for 2 2nd rd picks. What do you think he'd go for now?

Face it, no one would be discussing Eichel if Zibanejad... didnt get sick.

There's just something about Eichel I dont like...idk... maybe he's just so discouraged that I only see that part of his game now.

Agree with much of that sentiment.

Obviously you hope to see as many of these kids as possible pan out and play well as Rangers, but that isn’t going to happen.

And as said, there isn’t room ultimately for all of them.

Some of them will need to get flipped at some point.

Only reason I'd be hesitant to trade away a D prospect is because (brace yourselves) how well they've adjusted to the NHL under Quinn. Fox was acquired for 2 2nd rd picks. What do you think he'd go for now?

Face it, no one would be discussing Eichel if Zibanejad... didnt get sick.

There's just something about Eichel I dont like...idk... maybe he's just so discouraged that I only see that part of his game now.

Maybe. I'm not convinced it was just the sickness but who knows. It's been months and even now he is shanking one timers on the PP. But I do agree if he didn't regress so much this season we wouldn't be discussing.

Strome will be in line for a Kreider like contract, 6.5 long term. If that's too rich for the Rangers, the problem is that alternatives that are as good or better than Strome either are making that already or will be by the year after next, when Strome would be getting that.

Strome will be in line for a Kreider like contract, 6.5 long term. If that's too rich for the Rangers, the problem is that alternatives that are as good or better than Strome either are making that already or will be by the year after next, when Strome would be getting that.

I don't think Kreider is a comparable. He is a 55 point winger who very likely would have gotten over 7 as a UFA. He took a discount, and he isn't even as good as Strome nor does he play as valuable of a position. Strome has evolved into a player who is head and shoulders better than Kreider. It's not even a question at this point in time whether he gets more than Kreider, unless his play declines between now and whenever he gets a new contract. At this current rate of production, and as a center, he would probably command between 8-8.5 on an open market where teams always chase after centers. A discount because he likes it here might be in the 7.5 range.

Kreider got is contract before the flat cap and lower voluntary cap that many teams are using. I think the pay scale has been ratcheted down a bit since then. I've never been a big Strome advocate, but boy has he been playing well.

I don't think Kreider is a comparable. He is a 55 point winger who very likely would have gotten over 7 as a UFA. He took a discount, and he isn't even as good as Strome nor does he play as valuable of a position. Strome has evolved into a player who is head and shoulders better than Kreider. It's not even a question at this point in time whether he gets more than Kreider, unless his play declines between now and whenever he gets a new contract. At this current rate of production, and as a center, he would probably command between 8-8.5 on an open market where teams always chase after centers. A discount because he likes it here might be in the 7.5 range.

I still think you get the both of them together, set a hard ceiling for the two of them, and make it work. In general, the thinking here is right, but I think you're going to be looking at a situation where both of them are choosing between less money, but long term security and winning hockey, or more immediate money on a real bad team and then the hope for a journeyman situation for a few years.

UFA is NOT the freedom ticket it was 18 months ago. The flat cap will see to that for at least a handful more years.

Honestly - who's signing either of them to 8+ on the open market right now that they'd actually want to play for?

I still think you get the both of them together, set a hard ceiling for the two of them, and make it work. In general, the thinking here is right, but I think you're going to be looking at a situation where both of them are choosing between less money, but long term security and winning hockey, or more immediate money on a real bad team and then the hope for a journeyman situation for a few years.

UFA is NOT the freedom ticket it was 18 months ago. The flat cap will see to that for at least a handful more years.

Honestly - who's signing either of them to 8+ on the open market right now that they'd actually want to play for?

From a standpoint of currently good teams this year, I could see Minnesota and Florida being involved for either of them, but a lot can change with some of these teams cap wise between now and summer 2022 so it would be hard to predict certain teams right now. I do not think there would be a shortage of competitive teams making offers though.