• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Get Giroux

Phil

We've been justifiably talking about the idea of Eichel for months, but the end result is always the same. No matter the route taken, the cost is likely to be exorbitant. Both the cost to acquire as well as what it'll cost the team (Zibanejad) just to keep Eichel long-term. As a player, it makes a lot of sense because of how good he is, but there's likely an equally talented option available who won't break their spine to get — Giroux.

Giroux's got one more year left on his deal ($8.275 million). Couturier also only has one year left ($4.333 million). Both are UFA in 2022. Farabee is an RFA then. Sanheim, Hart and Patrick are all RFAs this season. If they're being honest about who they are for the next five, six, seven years, it's Couturier/Hayes, not Giroux.

Earlier in the year when the Flyers were really struggling, Friedman noted a few times on the 31 Thoughts podcast that the Flyers were prepared to make "major changes" this off-season. Chances are Philly aren't making the playoffs anyway, which could still trigger those changes (that will probably go beyond firing AV).

Avenge the Sanguinetti pick. Deal for Giroux. Best in the world!

KZB

Bread, Butter, Krav

Laf, Giroux, Gluten

Win the Cup!

• TroCheckmark 1

YES!!!!! But the Flyers most likely won't trade him to the Rangers and not a guarantee he would make it to free agency in 2022....especially if he is traded, a player of Giroux's caliber might not be a rental, a team that trades for him may very likely want to sign him long term.

Wow, what a crazy idea. I wonder where it came from. ;)

But yeah this is a move I'd be highly interested in making. Giroux just seems like the odd man out given multiple variables in Philadelphia like cap, graduating prospects, competitiveness, etc.

Waiting for Giroux means you have to run Strome and Chytil on their respective lines again but is that so bad? Strome is performing well and Chytil can get a final look before you potentially sell him at the 2022 draft.

While it's great to fantasize about Eichel and Zibanejad as a combo, the likelihood of being to maintain both of them is just too low. I'd rather keep Zib, despite his struggles this season, than lose him for Eichel. I suppose in some world you can end up with Eichel, lose Zib, and still sign Giroux but that just feels weird.

Giroux feels like the perfect addition for a young team trying to compete for a Cup. He's a proven playoff performer (73 P in 85 GP) who has gone deep and has fallen just short, and is historically one of the best faceoff centers in the league. This is the guy that they need to add. He helps put you over the top.

This is preferred. I like it a lot. Will the Flyers actually trade him here, though? I'm thinking probably not. They did trade Lindros here, so who knows? LOL Rivals aside, the Rangers have assets and they need to transform their team a bit as you said.

If you offer them the right players, why not? Chytil and a D prospect like Robertson?

If you offer them the right players, why not? Chytil and a D prospect like Robertson?

Oh, sure, they have the assets, more than probably a lot of teams. Even if their fans would flip about it, but who cares? I think remodeling and improving your team for the long haul is more important than trading him to the Rangers, despite them being in the division.

We've been justifiably talking about the idea of Eichel for months, but the end result is always the same. No matter the route taken, the cost is likely to be exorbitant. Both the cost to acquire as well as what it'll cost the team (Zibanejad) just to keep Eichel long-term. As a player, it makes a lot of sense because of how good he is, but there's likely an equally talented option available who won't break their spine to get — Giroux.

Giroux's got one more year left on his deal ($8.275 million). Couturier also only has one year left ($4.333 million). Both are UFA in 2022. Farabee is an RFA then. Sanheim, Hart and Patrick are all RFAs this season. If they're being honest about who they are for the next five, six, seven years, it's Couturier/Hayes, not Giroux.

Earlier in the year when the Flyers were really struggling, Friedman noted a few times on the 31 Thoughts podcast that the Flyers were prepared to make "major changes" this off-season. Chances are Philly aren't making the playoffs anyway, which could still trigger those changes (that will probably go beyond firing AV).

Avenge the Sanguinetti pick. Deal for Giroux. Best in the world!

KZB

Bread, Butter, Krav

Laf, Giroux, Gluten

Win the Cup!

I love it, but would prefer to see the Rangers run with Chytil instead of Strome(or Giroux). Nothing against Strome's performance, as I mentioned in a post the other day that he has earned his way into being part of the conversation; to me it's just the math. If you ran with a Zibanejad-Sttrome-Giroux down the middle that you proposed, you are looking at something like this for cap impact:

Zibanejad- 8-8.5 million

Strome-6.5-7 million

Giroux- 6.5-7 million

While I agree with the philosophy of building down the middle, that is 22-23 million just for your 3 centers or ~27% of your (flat)cap w/o accounting for Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, and likely Fox & Buchnevich's next contract.

To me I would rather choose one of Strome or Giroux, and resign Chytil in a somewhat salary controlled manner of ~4.5 million for the next 5 years, if you assume that he is up to the task of handling 3rd pair minutes which he currently is doing.

I love it, but would prefer to see the Rangers run with Chytil instead of Strome(or Giroux). Nothing against Strome's performance, as I mentioned in a post the other day that he has earned his way into being part of the conversation; to me it's just the math. If you ran with a Zibanejad-Sttrome-Giroux down the middle that you proposed, you are looking at something like this for cap impact:

Zibanejad- 8-8.5 million

Strome-6.5-7 million

Giroux- 6.5-7 million

While I agree with the philosophy of building down the middle, that is 22-23 million just for your 3 centers or ~27% of your (flat)cap w/o accounting for Panarin, Trouba, Kreider, and likely Fox & Buchnevich's next contract.

To me I would rather choose one of Strome or Giroux, and resign Chytil in a somewhat salary controlled manner of ~4.5 million for the next 5 years, if you assume that he is up to the task of handling 3rd pair minutes which he currently is doing.

Woah, I think that's way high. I'm guessing $2-2.5 x 3 for Chytil's next deal.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/07/02/report-claude-giroux-arrested-in-ottawa/

Claude Giroux was arrested Tuesday night according to the Ottawa Sun. A source told the Ottawa Sun Giroux was “repeatedly grabbing the buttocks of a male police officer” and alcohol is believed to be involved.

Easy, buddy. Just referencing what, to my wit, is the single most ridiculous athlete rap sheet I've ever seen.