• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Forget Eichel, Get Giroux

Phil

Woah, I think that's way high. I'm guessing $2-2.5 x 3 for Chytil's next deal.

I think you are both right. I think on a 5 year deal 4-4.5 per is about what it would cost, and on a shorter 2-3 year deal, 2-2.5M. He won't give the extra years away without being paid a premium to do so. I think Rangers go short term for sure on Chytil though

Woah, I think that's way high. I'm guessing $2-2.5 x 3 for Chytil's next deal.

My proposal above implied "buying" 2 of his free agent years, I think that if they give him a standard 2-3 year bridge deal, I think it goes over 3 million. Buchnevich's was a 3.2 million cap hit and Chytil is tracking slightly behind that.

Having said that, his statistics are misleading given the shortened pandemic schedule. His stats have actually taken a huge jump this season and he is tracking at a 47 point pace over an 82 game season.

My proposal above implied "buying" 2 of his free agent years, I think that if they give him a standard 2-3 year bridge deal, I think it goes over 3 million. Buchnevich's was a 3.2 million cap hit and Chytil is tracking slightly behind that.

Having said that, his statistics are misleading given the shortened pandemic schedule. His stats have actually taken a huge jump this season and he is tracking at a 47 point pace over an 82 game season.

Yup. Exactly. However, I would only consider a 5 year deal at the 4.5M pricepoint if Strome wasn't here. Otherwise, it's a lot of money to throw in the ring for a 3C.

Of course, this is also assuming he isn't traded first, which I still believe to be possible. Cough Eichel cough.

Yup. Exactly. However, I would only consider a 5 year deal at the 4.5M pricepoint if Strome wasn't here. Otherwise, it's a lot of money to throw in the ring for a 3C.

Of course, this is also assuming he isn't traded first, which I still believe to be possible. Cough Eichel cough.

I know Chytil has been around for 4 years, but you're not buying any UFA years. He'd be a 26 year-old RFA when a 5 year deal expires.

Buch as a comp had 101 points in 179 games. Chytil is at 65 points through 172 games. Buch was also arb eligible, Chytil is not.

This would be a different convo had he not missed 13 games, but I don't don't see him breaking $3M in the current cap landscape.

I know Chytil has been around for 4 years, but you're not buying any UFA years. He'd be a 26 year-old RFA when a 5 year deal expires.

Buch as a comp had 101 points in 179 games. Chytil is at 65 points through 172 games. Buch was also arb eligible, Chytil is not.

This would be a different convo had he not missed 13 games, but I don't don't see him breaking $3M in the current cap landscape.

LLTK nailed it. He'll be on a show me deal.

• 7 months later...

The Rangers could use some help at center, and as they push toward their first playoff appearance since 2017, they could do worse than Giroux. They have a pair of second-round picks (Philadelphia only has two picks in the first three rounds of the 2022 draft) and some intriguing prospects they could send to the City of Brotherly Love.

Would a second-round selection, disgruntled winger Vitali Kravtsov and a conditional pick based on how far the Rangers advance in the postseason be enough to pry Giroux out of Philadelphia? That would be a tough trade for Fletcher to pass up, so proximity be damned.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2951278-5-potential-trades-and-landing-spots-for-flyers-captain-claude-giroux

--

Bring me my boy!

9 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Yes please, drop Strome to the 3rd line where he belongs…yea I said it

Edit: actually I take it back only because maybe Giroux can actually do something to get Laf going…on a diet

i dont see giroux taking anyone's spot at center but like Mike said, if he could play winger i'd put him with Zibby to set him up

1 minute ago, G1000 said:

If that ends up being the ask, we should do that deal right fucking now.

The idea of having one of the best French Canadians of the last generation mentoring Lafreniere is nothing short of icing on the cake for what is in every way a near-perfect fit for this team.

probably wont happen Philthy being our rivals and all

3 minutes ago, G1000 said:

If that ends up being the ask, we should do that deal right fucking now.

The idea of having one of the best French Canadians of the last generation mentoring Lafreniere is nothing short of icing on the cake for what is in every way a near-perfect fit for this team.

I mean, sure, but not directly. On this team, he replaces Hunt immediately.

Just now, Phil said:

I mean, sure, but not directly. On this team, he replaces Hunt immediately.

Obviously he replaces Hunt or Chytil (I won't dismiss the possibility of a Laf-Giroux-Chytil line making a good deal of sense) on the ice. Off the ice - I want him w/Laf like a shadow.

Just now, G1000 said:

Eh, we've dealt with them before. They traded us Lindros.

This is also very low risk for the Flyers since there's almost zero way we can afford to keep him beyond this season.

that's cause we were the only ones dumb enough to overpay for damaged goods

7 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i dont see giroux taking anyone's spot at center but like Mike said, if he could play winger i'd put him with Zibby to set him up

I think it makes our team deeper and more dangerous on the 3rd line center.  Move him up if we are down or just to shake things up.  But much rather him taking faceoffs and playing his natural spot, or is he a winger?

Edited by Vodka Drunkenski

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

that's cause we were the only ones dumb enough to overpay for damaged goods

He had the Flyers by the nuts, even though his head was completely done by then.

Fun fact - if Lindros was concussed at any point during the first 50 games of the 01-02 season, the Rangers would have been transferred the draft pick that ultimately became Mike Richards. Which, of course, we'd have used on Brian Boyle.