• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Zac Jones to 3-Year ELC ($832.5K AAV); Will Report Immediately

Blue Heaven

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Rangers are a bit surprised he went pro, TBH. Sounds like the kid was antsy to get started.

I'm having a hard time finding it, but about 48 hours ago I read an interview with his agent about how Jones still felt he was too small and was in no hurry to go pro. Either that interview was given before UMASS won, or all this was a surprise to his rep.

5'11" 185 is actually decently sized. He is comparable to other defenseman of his skillset.

Has he gained 15lbs? EliteProspects had him at like 170, or 172.

Not comparing them as a players, but as "types" — Leetch was 6'0, 185lbs. That's basically the perfect frame for that "type" of player.

Not comparing them as a players, but as "types" — Leetch was 6'0, 185lbs. That's basically the perfect frame for that "type" of player.

It's still undersized. Especially when you have 4 defensemen that size on your team.

I'm just going by what you had in the NHL.com link in your post with his jersey number.

Maybe he had a brick in his pocket when he stepped on the scale.

--

Just picking some names but he's the same size as Matt Dumba, Cale Makar, Alex Goligoski, Adam Fox. He's slightly bigger than Deangelo, Matt Grzelcyk, Samuel Girard.

Honestly I don't think you want a guy at 5'11" to be much bigger.

Agreed, and if we're putting up a mock defense, isn't the physical end more of Trouba's game anyway?

I'm just going by what you had in the NHL.com link in your post with his jersey number.

--

Just picking some names but he's the same size as Matt Dumba, Cale Makar, Alex Goligoski, Adam Fox. He's slightly bigger than Deangelo, Matt Grzelcyk, Samuel Girard.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm having a hard time finding it, but about 48 hours ago I read an interview with his agent about how Jones still felt he was too small and was in no hurry to go pro. Either that interview was given before UMASS won, or all this was a surprise to his rep.

Pretty sure that was before the season started

It's still undersized. Especially when you have 4 defensemen that size on your team.

It's not so much "undersized" as it is "average sized" — but I agree, it can quickly become problematic in the playoffs. The Lightning have a bunch of these "types" but not a single was under 6'0 when they won the Cup last season. The smallest guy they had was Shattenkirk at 6'0, 206. Same with the Blues before then.

But the Rangers' situation right now isn't as dire as you'd think. Only Fox (5'11) and Jones (5'10 or 5'11) are under 6'0 right now. That changes if Lundkvist (5′11) is added next year. Now, half your D corps is "average sized."

--

Yeah, at that size (5'10, 5'11), 185-190 lbs is probably the ideal size.

It's not so much "undersized" as it is "average sized" — but I agree, it can quickly become problematic in the playoffs. The Lightning have a bunch of these "types" but not a single was under 6'0 when they won the Cup last season. The smallest guy they had was Shattenkirk at 6'0, 206. Same with the Blues before then.

But the Rangers' situation right now isn't as dire as you'd think. Only Fox (5'11) and Jones (5'10 or 5'11) are under 6'0 right now. That changes if Lundkvist (5′11) is added next year. Now, half your D corps is "average sized."

Yeah, at that size (5'10, 5'11), 185-190 lbs is probably the ideal size.

Lindgren is listed at 6' 190. Listed. That's 4 smallish dmen. And you definitely notice how much bigger a 6'3 and certainly a 6'5 K'Andre are then the rest.

Reunanen is small as well.

Have to hope some of the size guys develop into NHLers

Robertson 6'4

Schneider 6'2

Skinner 6'2

Weren't you just arguing that they should claim Sami Vatanen off waivers?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yes. Because we don't care about his fucking entry-level contract. He's a righty shot, also a veteran who has been somewhat of a playoff performer with 42 points in 82 games. If he doesn't crack tge lineup we don't care because he's a vet and not a prospect who's ELC years are extraordinarily important in a cap league. If Jones isn't ready or the team is running on all cylinders and Quinn shouldn't mess with the lineup, this is a waste of a valuable contract year. And even if he does instantly get a spot without earning it, it's a waste.

What is the point of bringing him in at this point?

Lindgren is listed at 6' 190. Listed. That's 4 smallish dmen. And you definitely notice how much bigger a 6'3 and certainly a 6'5 K'Andre are then the rest.

Reunanen is small as well.

Have to hope some of the size guys develop into NHLers

Robertson 6'4

Schneider 6'2

Skinner 6'2

He raised the point in another thread, but I think rmc has it right on Schneider being a long-term fit. When the Rangers are legitimately contending in a year or two, we're probably looking at a playoffs D corps of:

Lindgren (6'0, 190lbs) / Fox (5'11, 180lbs)

Miller (6'5, 210lbs) / Trouba (6'3, 210lbs)

Jones (5'11, 180~) / Schneider (6'2, 210lbs)

Smith (6'2, 200lbs)

That's pretty good and balanced.

Yes. Because we don't care about his fucking entry-level contract. He's a righty shot, also a veteran who has been somewhat of a playoff performer with 42 points in 82 games. If he doesn't crack tge lineup we don't care because he's a vet and not a prospect who's ELC years are extraordinarily important in a cap league. If Jones isn't ready or the team is running on all cylinders and Quinn shouldn't mess with the lineup, this is a waste of a valuable contract year. And even if he does instantly get a spot without earning it, it's a waste.

What is the point of bringing him in at this point?

To play in competitive hockey games at the NHL level and learn on the job for a role he's likely to be expected to fill as soon as next season, which is arguably the first real year the Rangers can conceivably be thought of as in a contention window.

To play in competitive hockey games at the NHL level and learn on the job for a role he's likely to be expected to fill as soon as next season, which is arguably the first real year the Rangers can conceivably be thought of as in a contention window.

And what if he's not ready and needs to spend next year in Hartford, which is very likely. Idk, I guess I'm making a bigger deal about his ELC, than I should be. I don't see this kid walking onto this team now or next year as others do.

Maybe this is a showcase for a trade this summer? Just seems abit rushed.

And what if he's not ready and needs to spend next year in Hartford, which is very likely. Idk, I guess I'm making a bigger deal about his ELC, than I should be. I don't see this kid walking onto this team now or next year as others do.

Maybe this is a showcase for a trade this summer? Just seems abit rushed.

If thats the case he'll have 1 year of NHL hockey before signing his first contract. That won't be much more expensive than his ELC. Rangers would have all the leverage in that situation.

Remember boys, you heard it here first, no matter what Friedman says in this week's 31 thoughts:

"15. This is purely my opinion and not anything I’ve heard, but, coming out of the enormous Detroit/Washington deal, does anyone ask Steve Yzerman about Dylan Larkin? One of the reasons Anthony Mantha and Jakub Vrana were traded was due to frustration with their play (and, especially in Vrana’s case, his own consternation at the way he was being used). But another key factor is that the Red Wings feel their rebuild will take longer than originally predicted.

I’d written earlier about Detroit making everyone available except Larkin, 2020 first-rounder Lucas Raymond and 2019 first-rounder Moritz Seider (and possibly co-leading scorer Filip Hronek). Mantha is signed for three more seasons, and may be out of his prime before they’re ready. Larkin is signed for two more. He’s their captain, and it’s not insignificant to consider the fan base’s reaction. If you were another team, though, and you liked him, the Mantha deal could give you reason to ask."

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-taylor-hall-may-rental-bruins/