• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Zac Jones to 3-Year ELC ($832.5K AAV); Will Report Immediately

Blue Heaven

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when all we had to be "excited" about was Jamie Lundmark, Manny Malhotra and Pavel Brendl.

Those were some dark times in Rangers land and the solution "sign someone, anyone" and it was a mess. I've said it before the best thing to happen to the Rangers was the salary cap.

I remember when all we had to be "excited" about was Jamie Lundmark, Manny Malhotra and Pavel Brendl.

True but it was pretty exciting always getting the top free agent

But I agree with Paddy- salary cap was the best thing to ever happen to the Rangers.

Those were some dark times in Rangers land and the solution "sign someone, anyone" and it was a mess. I've said it before the best thing to happen to the Rangers was the salary cap.

100%.

True but it was pretty exciting always getting the top free agent

But I agree with Paddy- salary cap was the best thing to ever happen to the Rangers.

Yeah, the free agency stuff was exciting, I won't lie. But, they kind of gutted their farm and trading young players on the active roster when they made those deals for the '94 run then trading Zubov. All of that reared its ugly head after awhile, and the franchise eventually hit rock bottom.

He is tiny. Hopefully another Torey Krug.

Hopefully he has the same ability as Fox to somehow avoid being hit squarely which is something I don't think you can teach. Have to have eyes in the back of your head and never get caught with your head down.

Those guys were all high picks and deserved the excitement. 9th, 7th, and 4th I think in their respective years. What they are is the stark reminder that not all prospects work out which is why it's great that the Rangers have so many that are knocking on the door. Not all of these guys are going to pan out the way that we expect.

Those guys were all high picks and deserved the excitement. 9th, 7th, and 4th I think in their respective years. What they are is the stark reminder that not all prospects work out which is why it's great that the Rangers have so many that are knocking on the door. Not all of these guys are going to pan out the way that we expect.

+1

but there's enough of them that in the end we should be in good shape and that's exciting.

The thing with Larkin is that the offense seems to go dry far too much for me.

Well this is clearly his worst season p/gp-wise and I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe losing 2 out of every 3 games for 2 seasons wears on you. Getting the C when he's 22 with almost no veteran presence on the team could also wear on a kid. Two years ago he had 32 goals and was a point per game player. Ain't no Jack Eichel, but he also wouldn't cost as much. Larkin is a young strong center that can score and play better than average defense (20th in Selke voting in '19). In theory, he works if we don't expect Strome to maintain his current production into the prime contention window. Providing he isn't in actual decline for some reason, Larkin would be a high quality 1B behind Zib's 1A. But yes, it is concerning that his scoring has dropped off. But if you believe he's still got it in him to round into a top 25 center or better as he enters his prime (currently rated #25 by Corsica even in a shitty season), now might be the time to buy low.

Yes, this probably should be in the alternatives to Eichel thread.

Fox/Lundqvist/Jones isn't going to work, for multiple reasons. One has to go, they should spend the next six months figuring out who that is. We do know who it is not.

Why would that not work? They can all be in the top 4 if they need to be and can all get PP time. They also all have a bigger more physical and defensively responsible partner to pair with in Miller, Trouba, and Lindgren. Those seem like perfect pairs to me. All of these guys will be analytic darlings. The other teams will never even have the puck.

If one did have to go it will be Jones. Lundkvist is going to be a star.

It'll all look great in November, and then you'll wonder why the Capitals put us out in 4 straight by just flicking the puck at the net.

The 1:1 hobbit to actual grown up ratio also looks great, but it obviously won't work that way. It never works the way you draw it up. Are they all going to play 20 minutes?

You also have zero forward depth, with almost no proven track records in the bottom 6. That needs to be addressed if they're serious about winning playoff hockey, and it should be addressed by trading from strength.