• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Willing to Eat Cap to Facilitate Three-Way Trades

Phil

I think this makes the most sense. We're on the cusp of the playoffs, with the lowest chances of getting in but still having a shot. Gorton has proven to not deviate from the plan too much despite success, if you look at our trade deadlines last year and so far this season. I'm cool with this. Stay the course, and push next season. Set us up for the future.

Even if we acquire picks and prospects, we now have enough prospects to trade tier-1 guys for established NHLers that fix our holes, while not feeling the impact from a depth perspective. The amount of defenseman prospects in general is mind-boggling.

Well Boston just acquired Hall so .....def don't make moves thinking we are getting into these playoffs. Next year. No D movement. A real defensive center who has astronomical face-off win percentage. Nothing else besides picks for expiring contracts please.

I’d be pretty surprised if we did anything. Maybe we’ll take a 4th for some cap space but I don’t know why we’d be making player trades.

Was anyone else surprised that we have 9m in space? I thought we had literally no cap space based on bonuses and whatnot. #thecapisfake

I’d be pretty surprised if we did anything. Maybe we’ll take a 4th for some cap space but I don’t know why we’d be making player trades.

Was anyone else surprised that we have 9m in space? I thought we had literally no cap space based on bonuses and whatnot. #thecapisfake

I was as well. I thought we were tight with like $1M in space. The only deals IMO should be to try ADA again, and try to move Smith for a 3rd or 4th rounder to a contender.

They had to operate as if the bonuses would get triggered. Kakko and Lafreniere probably aren't triggering anywhere near their maximum bonus (2.65M and 2.85M respectively). Kravtsov had almost a million in bonuses. Probably not triggering much, if any, of it since he just got here. Shesterkin with 2.85 million probably isn't triggering much of it either. Fox had almost a million and probably triggering the max there at least.

I don't know where bonus specifics can be found to know what each player needs to do to trigger their bonuses, but I assume a lot of them are hard to reach.

They've been banking cap space all season. Bonuses haven't been charged against the salary cap because they haven't yet been achieved.