• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Teams Showing Interest in Alexandar Georgiev?

Phil

As some teams explore the goaltender market ahead of Monday’s 3pm ET trade deadline, some clubs are believed to have inquired about New York Rangers netminder Alexandar Georgiev.

While a trade is not considered imminent at this stage, multiple sources have told TFP some teams have discussed Georgiev, at least internally, and others have poked around on his availability, something that occurred last off-season.

With the emergence of Igor Shesterkin, who is clearly the Rangers’ No.1 goalie for the foreseeable future, Georgiev could be expendable if Rangers GM Jeff Gorton decides to entertain calls. Right now, though, a move might be unlikely ahead of the deadline.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/apr-2021/teams-showing-interest-in-georgiev#.YG8QLk7EmfA.twitter

--

This is TFP, so take this with the requisite grain of salt.

Georgiev has had a real tough season - let's just get that out of the way.

A few folks here have noted how going into the playoffs without a solid #2 or even a solid #3 is a bad idea this season. Taking a flyer on Georgiev returning to last years' form is a decent enough idea.

I thought he would make for a good backup goalie to Ullmark in Buffalo. Everybody but him has been terrible in goal and Hutton is hurt. I don't know, that was just one team that immediately popped into my head as a good fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ullmark ends up in Toronto, Sharpy....but Georgie might be a candidate for Buffalo in that instance as well, as he could be their goalie there in his absence.

I don't see Georgiev going to Buffalo - I think it's more "whomever loses out on Ullmark will probably chase Geo for a bit". Buffalo has Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen waiting in the wings there, and they like him and all six ks in his name.

You're probably looking at a team like Colorado, Toronto, or maybe even Florida - anywhere where there's an expectation of a longer playoff run and not enough goaltending depth on the active roster to circumvent a covid case or an injury.

I don't see Georgiev going to Buffalo - I think it's more "whomever loses out on Ullmark will probably chase Geo for a bit". Buffalo has Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen waiting in the wings there, and they like him and all six ks in his name.

You're probably looking at a team like Colorado, Toronto, or maybe even Florida - anywhere where there's an expectation of a longer playoff run and not enough goaltending depth on the active roster to circumvent a covid case or an injury.

You making up names again?

I wouldn't be surprised if Ullmark ends up in Toronto, Sharpy....but Georgie might be a candidate for Buffalo in that instance as well, as he could be their goalie there in his absence.

Toronto goaltender Jack Campbell owns 10 game winning streak,Toronto record ,1.58 GAA 944 Save percentage this season

You making up names again?

All Finnish players should adopt Vikings-style colloquial nicknames instead of forcing the world to suffer trying to write out/pronounce their actual names.

Ukka-Pekka Luukkonen becomes Ukka the Terrible (cause, come on — he's playing for Buffalo).

Is there something wrong with your speech? You want to get that checked out.

Edit: That has already become one of my favorite hockey names of all time.

Is there something wrong with your speech? You want to get that checked out.

Edit: That has already become one of my favorite hockey names of all time.

If we have a Finnish Rangers fan lurking, they just said fuck it and left. Thanks, you guys.

This is an epic name, for sure.

Even though I wanted him gone in lieu of keeping Hank, and even though he's sucked this season. I am against trading him for some 4th or 5th round pick. It's pointless to sell low on him now, may as well see if he gets better again at this point and then sell higher or at least have a decent backup. Especially with Shesty looking like he may be injury prone *knock on wood*

If we have a Finnish Rangers fan lurking, they just said fuck it and left. Thanks, you guys.

This is an epic name, for sure.

Also, here in Rochester, they say his entire name, when mentioned. It's rarely just "Luukkonen "