• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have an Entitlement Problem with Their Power Play

https://nypost.com/2021/04/02/rangers-power-play-has-an-entitlement-problem/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter_app

The Rangers have gone 7-3-1 over the past 11 games to move onto the periphery of the playoff race with 20 games to go in their season. The next game is Saturday in Buffalo, to wrap up the two-game set. This trend hasn’t undone the Rangers, but it has kept young guns on the bench for chunks of games at a time.

And, I’m sorry, it reeks of entitlement. It’s obnoxious, kind of like when Phil Esposito used to stay on the side across from the bench so he couldn’t change for minutes at a time, back in the day. I do not understand why the coach allows it. Allowing it equates to endorsing it.

Over the past 11 games, the Rangers have played 68:44 with the man advantage. Panarin has been on for 52:10, Zibanejad for 51:46, Kreider for 50:57, Strome for 49:10 and Fox (who missed one game) for 48:07. That is crazy. Do you know what that means? It means 11:33 for Kakko, it means 7:45 for Lafreniere, and it means 6:06 for Chytil.

It means that the young guys, who might flourish with the touches and who might gain some confidence and traction that would carry over to five-on-five, essentially never get that opportunity. And yet we wonder why their production is so low.

For the longer the first unit stays on, the more the returns diminish. Of the first unit’s 22 power-play goals, six were scored within the first 16 seconds of an advantage, 10 within the first 36 seconds, 18 within the first 59 seconds and 20 within the first 1:06.

That means two power-play goals over 36 games in the final 54 seconds of a power play.

That means when it’s time to change, the first unit needs to change. Come on, already.

Hit that nail on the head Larry. Nice job.

some good stuff from last game discussing the PP.

The PP is 2nd in the league over the last 2 weeks. Panarin - MVP candidate, Fox - Norris - candidate, Zib - 40 goal scorer, Strome - PPG player, Kreider - top 2 net front guy in the league.

Start the 2nd unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They played Philly in 2 blowout games and the Sabres twice. LMAO

They were 1/6 against the Caps in 2 games, with the 1 PPG coming in a loss.

OMG, check out the PP since Quinn returned.

am I looking at the wrong stat line? lol

I mean if the 1st PP isn't good what can the second unit really do? Quinn is kind of in a difficult position, they committed a rebuild but they're ready to compete at the same time.

Sent from my Z981 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, theyre good. But the effectiveness drastically decreases the longer they stay out there.

And if you split up Panarin and Zibanejad, why are we assuming the next unit is going to be ineffective? They have PLENTY of offensive talent to ice a great 2nd unit.

Yeah, the PP needs some kind of change. More than anything they need to figure out how to make that second unit effective so they don't have to keep the first unit out for a full two minutes. That starts with keeping Trouba as far away from the powerplay as you possibly can. He's too damn slow and handles the puck like a grenade. Having a cannon with 2% accuracy doesn't help the PP. Someone also needs to step up and be the facilitator on that unit, whether it's Buch, Kakko, Lafreniere, etc. You have plenty of distributors on the team, there has to be someone capable of doing it. Gauthier's bread and butter in the AHL was literally parking himself in front of the net and getting tips. We've yet to see that in the NHL. Throw him out there the same way you use Kreider instead of having to endure whatever the fuck it is Trouba does.
  • Like 1

LONG overdue topic.

I've never seen a PP stay on the ice for 2 straight minutes at the NHL level. It's part of the reason they lead the NHL in short handed goals against and it's part of the reason the PP friggin' stinks.

And it's been this way all season, lol. Not a single change to PP1. DQ likes his line blender more than anyone but can't find it in himself to get creative on the PP. Never mind the peewee level shift lengths, how about a god damn lefty so you can feed more than one player for a shot on goal?

LONG overdue topic.

I've never seen a PP stay on the ice for 2 straight minutes at the NHL level. It's part of the reason they lead the NHL in short handed goals against and it's part of the reason the PP friggin' stinks.

And it's been this way all season, lol. Not a single change to PP1. DQ likes his line blender more than anyone but can't find it in himself to get creative on the PP. Never mind the peewee level shift lengths, how about a god damn lefty so you can feed more than one player for a shot on goal?

Well, as I said earlier, i don't think Quinn really feels like he runs the ship when it comes to certain things. Sure changing lines is his thing but taking away ice time for the "big names" on our team isn't. Ziby was horrid for a large portion of the year and it took like the 20+ game mark into the season to bench him for half a period i think. Kreider can come and go as he pleases it seems and we all know Panarin doesn't follow any system or style. It's reflected in the PP too. There is just a group of players in my mind where Quinn feels a bit more, intimidated for lack of a better word, with. I can't really imagine the coaching staff goes into games saying PP1 is going to play all power plays all the time without breaks.

Well, as I said earlier, i don't think Quinn really feels like he runs the ship when it comes to certain things. Sure changing lines is his thing but taking away ice time for the "big names" on our team isn't. Ziby was horrid for a large portion of the year and it took like the 20+ game mark into the season to bench him for half a period i think. Kreider can come and go as he pleases it seems and we all know Panarin doesn't follow any system or style. It's reflected in the PP too. There is just a group of players in my mind where Quinn feels a bit more, intimidated for lack of a better word, with. I can't really imagine the coaching staff goes into games saying PP1 is going to play all power plays all the time without breaks.

This is really interesting because I've actually thought this too. Is David Quinn really going to tell Artemi Panarin what to do? In some senses, I'm glad he doesn't. Look at Torts and Laine. Torts wants Laine to change his game from pure sniper to power forward with disastrous results. So, no. I don't really want Quinn to "coach" Panarin. I would like him to implement a creative PP system though. I would like him to put PP2 on the ice when there's a faceoff in the offensive zone with more than 20 seconds left on the PP.

It's true that it does seem like the only people under Quinn's thumb are the young guys.

Regardless of some the PP issue (which I both agree and disagree with Brooks...Is it an issue? Eh, not enough of one to write an article about IMO), the uber theme here around Quinn "treating players differently" keeps coming up and just don't get the thought process.

Quinn demands effort and accountability from all the players. But how the message is delivered, and how consequences are doled out, is different for each player and it should be. Every coach does this. People complained about the same thing from Renney to Torts to AV. This should tell you that it's normal.

Firstly, just overall, veterans players like Zib, Kreider, Strome, etc. have earned more rope than young players who have just come into the league like Kakko, Lafreniere, Gauthier, etc.

Secondly, there's a shit ton of backstory that happens what we have no idea about. Sometime you leave a veteran player who is trusted and has earned rope to figure it out for himself. A younger player who hasn't proven anything, earned anything, and gets spoken to repeatedly about the same shit is going to have a shorter rope.

While the message around what's expected should be similar, the leash given and the discipline doled out will be different based on the player because they are individuals who will respond differently.

What was Zib going to learn from getting benched? Do we not think he knew he was hot garbage? What lesson is being learned from a benching? Very different than a Gauthier who drools bad penalties. Why didn't Strome get benched sooner during a cluster of games last year where he took bad stick fouls? Because he's a different player, a veteran who I'm sure knew he made a mistake, and you never question is effort level or accountability.

Regarding the PP, would I do it the way Quinn does? Probably not. But let's also not pretend there's zero logic here. Some people (maybe not you) are acting like this shit makes no sense, but the players out there have shown undeniable chemistry. Zib and Panarin have it, Zib and Kreider have it, Strome and Krieder, Strome and Panarin, Fox with everyone...They players have combined for beautiful goals, especially off the rush.

And yes, I'd have them change sooner because they are way less effective after setting up, as the stats indicate.

• Like 1

Regardless of some the PP issue (which I both agree and disagree with Brooks...Is it an issue? Eh, not enough of one to write an article about IMO), the uber theme here around Quinn "treating players differently" keeps coming up and just don't get the thought process.

Quinn demands effort and accountability from all the players. But how the message is delivered, and how consequences are doled out, is different for each player and it should be. Every coach does this. People complained about the same thing from Renney to Torts to AV. This should tell you that it's normal.

Firstly, just overall, veterans players like Zib, Kreider, Strome, etc. have earned more rope than young players who have just come into the league like Kakko, Lafreniere, Gauthier, etc.

Secondly, there's a shit ton of backstory that happens what we have no idea about. Sometime you leave a veteran player who is trusted and has earned rope to figure it out for himself. A younger player who hasn't proven anything, earned anything, and gets spoken to repeatedly about the same shit is going to have a shorter rope.

While the message around what's expected should be similar, the leash given and the discipline doled out will be different based on the player because they are individuals who will respond differently.

What was Zib going to learn from getting benched? Do we not think he knew he was hot garbage? What lesson is being learned from a benching? Very different than a Gauthier who drools bad penalties. Why didn't Strome get benched sooner during a cluster of games last year where he took bad stick fouls? Because he's a different player, a veteran who I'm sure knew he made a mistake, and you never question is effort level or accountability.

Regarding the PP, would I do it the way Quinn does? Probably not. But let's also not pretend there's zero logic here. Some people (maybe not you) are acting like this shit makes no sense, but the players out there have shown undeniable chemistry. Zib and Panarin have it, Zib and Kreider have it, Strome and Krieder, Strome and Panarin, Fox with everyone...They players have combined for beautiful goals, especially off the rush.

And yes, I'd have them change sooner because they are way less effective after setting up, as the stats indicate.

I understand what you’re saying but I just don’t agree that it’s just a veteran thing. It can be but forget Gauthier for a while or the like of him. It’s not even just that he’s clueless. He just seems to have varying rules. Ziby is the perfect example. The first 20+ games saying he was hot garbage is putting it nicely. I’m not even talking about benching. But just different looks. That’s literally the coaches job. If he sees something not working, it’s his job to try and figure out a different combo that might. Especially on a team with highly rated young guys where the pp might actually win you some games and or get them going too.

I just find it extremely strange to go the first 25 or so games rolling out the exact same putrid pp/ strategy/etc with no success then read a quote from the other day when asked why ALF and Kakko play so little and be told “ it’s all about winning games now.” So first 25 or so games you’re willing to lose games rolling out the same “veterans” with no success just to get them going over a month and a half period then spend these games giving your future no ice time because the result sets precedent over development.......shouldn’t that have meant the first 25 games would have seen guys like Ziby off the pp1 then at any point? Or Mreider during his Mia periods off it?

If the PP unit keeps the puck in the zone for almost 2 minutes how are they supposed to get a change to unit #2? The long time spent on ice for unit #1 is pretty much determined by how well they control the puck, don't you think? Novel idea: Start with unit #2 once in a while.

Well they don’t keep it in their for 2 minutes considering how crappy they are from the faceoff circle

The pp is just a small microcosm of how shitty the coaching has been. Different rules for different folks. No actual in game adjustments or management, and let the bigger names let you know when they need a change.

Looks a lot like Rangers under Roger Neilson ; Messier’s line did what ever they wanted and Neilson ran his defensive style with everyone else . Pretty much what is going on with the top players here. They’re producing offense but looks like their PP and approach to offense is ignoring sensible . Gets too schizophrenic .

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Looks a lot like Rangers under Roger Neilson ; Messier’s line did what ever they wanted and Neilson ran his defensive style with everyone else . Pretty much what is going on with the top players here. They’re producing offense but looks like their PP and approach to offense is ignoring sensible . Gets too schizophrenic .

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And people said the same thing about Renney/Jagr.

That's how I know there's no meat on this bone.

And people said the same thing about Renney/Jagr.

That's how I know there's no meat on this bone.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?aggregate=0&report=powerplay&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20052006&seasonTo=20202021&gameType=2&playerPlayedFor=franchise.10&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=ppPoints&page=0&pageSize=50

Jagr had 52 points on the PP that season. (granted, more PP times because of all the calls)

Panarin had 24 last season. (Prucha had 22 in 1 less game in 05-06)

They have to split the units. Panarin has had some very costly late game mistakes. Maybe he's on the ice too much.