• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 NHL Trade Deadline: Presented by 'Mad Money with Jim Cramer'

Phil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, not going to happen. At the very least I'm hoping they close the season playing really well like last year before the shutdowns when they actually could have gotten into the playoffs. I know they did anyway, technically, but that was weird. lol We'll see if they make any big moves to day (not likely), how Krav continues to play and all of that. But, still, the way this team has played all year, where it's one step forward, two steps back, two steps forward, one step back, even a strong finish is unlikely to happen.

Yeah, I'm going with Sharpy's approach, fellas. I'd love to see them make a run and take a shot at the playoffs, but for what??? This is not a playoff team in my opinion, and what's more is that I'm not gonna get myself all pumped up just to watch them fall on their face in 4 straight, even if they did get in.

These kids are pretty much pulling a lot of the weight of the team the last few games, and I'm really watching a bunch of players that truly LIKE to play with one another.

Ok, Laffy's head butt to Hajek was a little much (That was hilarious!! :rofl:), but I think it's better off to field some offers for some players that can and SHOULD be moved today, and then take care of our own cap issues and holes in the roster that we can fill to attack next season. I just think the goal for the playoffs should be for next year, not this one.

The rest of this season, I think is for guys like Krav, Laf, Kakko, and the rest of the Wonderama army of Toys R Us kids we have. Let Kreider stay on the fucking 4th line, where he belongs, and send ADG to Siberia.

After watching last night, I think the kids can handle playing the last 15 in prominent roles.

If I'm guessing at who gets dealt, I'm gonna say guys like:

Brendan Smith - tough playoff type player and fairly serviceable defenseman

Rooney - Depth center that can win draws, and play responsible 2 ways

Blackwell - having a hell of a season, and would be a decent grinder on a playoff team.

Maybe one of the goalies not named Igor....I'd like to see Kinky get a shot at a cup...(for hometown reasons mostly!)

...and I wouldn't be surprised if Buchnevich got dealt...he's the most intriguing of the lot, because Kravtsov is here now and looks to be the REAL DEAL. We'd most likely go to arbitration to pay Buch and with suck-ass Kreider here for an eternity, it kinda forces our hand a little with Buch. I hope we keep him, because I think he's pretty good in all areas, but we shall see.

Keep in mind folks, we have Rooney signed for another year at 750k and Blackwell for 725k. I don't think we'd get more value at that price than what we have now.

Though I just looked it up now and Blackwell has a shooting % of 26.1%. Not exactly sustainable.

I don't think he needs to sustain it it be a valuable bottom 6 winger who can slot up, at his price tag. He's just found money right now.

But it was quiet, and unusually so for the organization that spent much of the prior decade binging before purging when time ran out on the core in the late 2010s. Because, in the parlance of the moment, the Rangers are neither sellers nor buyers.

So, no expectation of a blockbuster in the manner of the 2014 captains exchange in which Ryan Callahan and Martin St. Louis traded places. No attempt to fill a hole in the image of the deal that brought Keith Yandle to New York for a package of young guys that featured Anthony Duclair plus a No. 1.

And no need to replenish the pipeline by sending away veterans in exchange for kids and draft picks the way the organization has since 2018. Last year was not quite that, but the team did acquire a first-rounder from Carolina in exchange for Brady Skjei, whose $5.25 million cap hit through 2023-24 was more than the Blueshirts could bear.

While there is always some value in having a plethora of draft selections for it at least improves the odds, kids and prospects are falling out of the organization’s pockets like loose change while seated on a sofa. Adding more would be superfluous. Fact is, the next step on the road to redemption will entail consolidating the roster and moving out of some of the youngsters in exchange for targeted veterans.

Clubs who are buyers at the deadline don’t subtract key pieces while in conjunction with adding them. Buyers’ currency is draft picks. Hence, even if the Rangers wanted to see what is out there in return for some of their veterans, this would not be the opportune time. If a club were to call about Ryan Strome or Pavel Buchnevich, Gorton would certainly listen and might be able to lay some groundwork for potential summer trades. The same would hold true if a club came sniffing around Mika Zibanejad. But the best information is that the Rangers have not been receiving those inquiries.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/11/rangers-are-unusually-quiet-as-nhl-trade-deadline-looms/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Imagine they would love to find a match for Trouba or Kreider, but their contracts are stupid. If only you could turn one or both into a Tkachuk brother(the guy we are paying Kreider to be). Alas, the economics of their awful contracts preclude that.

I know Michelletti night after night tells you Trouba is "fabulous" but must be one Minny guy sticking up for another. On the 2nd goal gave up ground and didn't body up on the shooter at all. Has been his act all year; gives you very little defensively, and treats the puck like a live grenade. Hajek is more of an offensive threat.

More likely Smith or Buch, if anyone.

Blackwell and Rooney are decent cheap 4th line filler guys. Unless someone blows them away, don't see it happening.

Rangers have 15 games left, they can max out at 74 points.

Bruins have 17 games left, 6 games vs. Buffalo (10 points out of 12), 2 vs. Devils (2 pts), 3 vs. Islanders (1 pt), 2 vs. Penguins (2 pts), 2 vs. Rangers (2 pts), 2 vs. Caps (2 pts).

Lets give the Bruins 19 points out of a possible 34 points.

Bruins would have 67 points

That basically means the Rangers have to go 12-3 = 68 points....Anyone see this NYR team win 12 of 15 games?

Nope.

Yep, it's this. Barring the Sabres going on an utter tear or the Bruins hitting the skids, the Rangers basically need to go at around an .800 points percent to have a shot.

It's not impossible, but it's implausible.

Since they have trouble even putting good back to back games together, I'm going with no. lol

They can't trade Rooney or Blackwell. They have to have 2 forwards under contract next year to expose to Seattle. They only other forward that qualifies is Strome.

They also don't need to. They're both serviceable players on great deals.

I'm not saying they should, fellas...just that if I was a GM of a playoff team, those are the types of guys I'd be looking at.

I love Blackwell, and Rooney has been very good for us as well. That's what makes them valuable to other teams I think....also their contracts are cheap, ("found money") as Phil said.

They can't trade Rooney or Blackwell. They have to have 2 forwards under contract next year to expose to Seattle. They only other forward that qualifies is Strome.

Howden/Gauthier/Rooney/Blackwell for last spot.

Yeah, I'm going with Sharpy's approach, fellas. I'd love to see them make a run and take a shot at the playoffs, but for what??? This is not a playoff team in my opinion, and what's more is that I'm not gonna get myself all pumped up just to watch them fall on their face in 4 straight, even if they did get in.

These kids are pretty much pulling a lot of the weight of the team the last few games, and I'm really watching a bunch of players that truly LIKE to play with one another.

Ok, Laffy's head butt to Hajek was a little much (That was hilarious!! :rofl:), but I think it's better off to field some offers for some players that can and SHOULD be moved today, and then take care of our own cap issues and holes in the roster that we can fill to attack next season. I just think the goal for the playoffs should be for next year, not this one.

The rest of this season, I think is for guys like Krav, Laf, Kakko, and the rest of the Wonderama army of Toys R Us kids we have. Let Kreider stay on the fucking 4th line, where he belongs, and send ADG to Siberia.

After watching last night, I think the kids can handle playing the last 15 in prominent roles.

I can't get behind this. If the Rangers can put a run together, it will be against who they would likely match up against in the first and second rounds. Isles, Caps, Pens. If they can take them in the coming weeks, I see no reason why they can't do damage in the playoffs. Don't forget anything can happen. Lesser teams have gone on runs and made it to the finals. I'm not counting on it, but I'm also not going to shit on the thought.

If this team can put it together AS IS, I don't see any harm in trying to win and doing it.

You never know.

totally not going to happen... lol

Gauthier. Unless he gets moved, which, I kinda expect. The forgotten man. Value is probably a 3rd?