• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 NHL Trade Deadline: Presented by 'Mad Money with Jim Cramer'

Phil

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Number 2 has me very intrigued. Obviously there will be a ton of unknown in terms of drafting so I’d definitely be more cautious about this upcoming draft. I think you might be able to sneak a good pick of players higher in the first round or even later just because of all these unknowns. I think we will look back 5 years or so from now and say “I can’t believe team x got this guy so late....” before looking back and realizing why.

I think we will see teams wanting those 1st rd picks. With the flat cap, you need guys that can contribute on ELC. Rangers have 11 players (including Kravtsov) on ELC. And they still are not in great sheat cap-wise. Fast Forward 3 seasons when the cap is the same but Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, Miller are all due new contracts. And then you have Zibanejad.

Looking to the future, you only have Smith & DeAngelo coming off the books. You need a Smith replacement, plus replacements for Strome & Buchnevich

Number 2 has me very intrigued. Obviously there will be a ton of unknown in terms of drafting so I’d definitely be more cautious about this upcoming draft. I think you might be able to sneak a good pick of players higher in the first round or even later just because of all these unknowns. I think we will look back 5 years or so from now and say “I can’t believe team x got this guy so late....” before looking back and realizing why.

I think you're going to see a lot of that, yeah. There's an argument to be made that having a pick like the Sabres 3rd or the Kings' 4th is a big deal because getting the list beyond the top prospects hammered down is going to be so much harder this year.

This is a season where the teams who have really good scouting departments - or really creative scouting departments - are capable of really cashing in.

I think you're going to see a lot of that, yeah. There's an argument to be made that having a pick like the Sabres 3rd or the Kings' 4th is a big deal because getting the list beyond the top prospects hammered down is going to be so much harder this year.

This is a season where the teams who have really good scouting departments - or really creative scouting departments - are capable of really cashing in.

I think this sort of thing is blown out of proportion a bit. Sure, they have less to grade players on. But they don't start scouting those kids now. You don't scout 1 player, you scout teams, lines, everything. One of the things I always do when scouting players is look at highlights from their line mates. Is Lafreniere setting up this kid for every goal?

You can't isolate on 1 player when watching. So you begin to see other players constantly popping up.

And honestly, by the time these kids are 14/15, the hype is there (or not).

If anything, you'll see 'NHL Ready' guys going early and often due to cap space.

Buch not himself recently. I wonder if he was told he might be on the move. As I previously mentioned, the return might be too great for the Rangers to say no to a potential offer for Buchnevich. You'd have to think he'd return a recently drafted prospect (if we are thinking 1st rd picks arent being moved). Some top NHL teams are looking for additional scoring, and being near a PPG, and a well-rounded player, I think the offers will come.

Boston - Beecher. 1st rd pick in 2019 that hasnt progressed as expected. Big kid, goes to the net

Vegas is probably looking for a LW, and I dont think you are going to get someone like Krebs for Buch. Plus, you'd have to take on a contract, and they wouldnt be able to re-sign him in the offseason. Reaves? Or maybe Edmonton taking back a prospect and Kassian?

Islanders? Do you risk trading him there and he continues to put up stats throughout his career? Same with Pittsburgh.

Moving DeAngelo - if it's possible. Get a veteran AHL player, I dont care. Doesn't have to be a great return, since he's not going to play for the Rangers anyway.

Moving Georgiev - with the pandemic, you don't want to be a team without that important G depth going into the playoffs. There should be plenty of teams asking around about goalies. Maybe its Kinkaid that gets moved. I doubt either of these would bring back a significant prospect worth mentioning, here.

• Like 1

I think this sort of thing is blown out of proportion a bit. Sure, they have less to grade players on. But they don't start scouting those kids now. You don't scout 1 player, you scout teams, lines, everything. One of the things I always do when scouting players is look at highlights from their line mates. Is Lafreniere setting up this kid for every goal?

You can't isolate on 1 player when watching. So you begin to see other players constantly popping up.

And honestly, by the time these kids are 14/15, the hype is there (or not).

If anything, you'll see 'NHL Ready' guys going early and often due to cap space.

We all know that scouting is a multi-year process (we know the Rangers, for example, had Kravtsov tabbed as their 2018 top pick for over 18 months), but we also know how much the D-1 season matters in that process. Your point around high first round talent is well taken, but I think when you start getting into the weeds of the draft, you're going to have more of the randomness we're talking about. If there were ever a year where there might be a few of those Mark Stone gems in the late rounds, it's one where scouting has been sparse.

The bigger point here is that there's probably some level of greater value in having multiple 35-96 or so picks this year than in others.

Buch not himself recently. I wonder if he was told he might be on the move. As I previously mentioned, the return might be too great for the Rangers to say no to a potential offer for Buchnevich. You'd have to think he'd return a recently drafted prospect (if we are thinking 1st rd picks arent being moved). Some top NHL teams are looking for additional scoring, and being near a PPG, and a well-rounded player, I think the offers will come.

Boston - Beecher. 1st rd pick in 2019 that hasnt progressed as expected. Big kid, goes to the net

Vegas is probably looking for a LW, and I dont think you are going to get someone like Krebs for Buch. Plus, you'd have to take on a contract, and they wouldnt be able to re-sign him in the offseason. Reaves? Or maybe Edmonton taking back a prospect and Kassian?

Islanders? Do you risk trading him there and he continues to put up stats throughout his career? Same with Pittsburgh.

Moving DeAngelo - if it's possible. Get a veteran AHL player, I dont care. Doesn't have to be a great return, since he's not going to play for the Rangers anyway.

Moving Georgiev - with the pandemic, you don't want to be a team without that important G depth going into the playoffs. There should be plenty of teams asking around about goalies. Maybe its Kinkaid that gets moved. I doubt either of these would bring back a significant prospect worth mentioning, here.

Buch is such an interesting proposition for us. On one hand, we're so crazy deep at wing that we can actually afford to move him - on the other, he's an all situations winger who gets little PP time as it is and is basically a PPG player...why do you move this guy? As an asset - he's not a rental. He's under team control next season too, though he's arb eligible. If the Rangers go seller or his contract demands are out of line, he shoots to the top of the list, and given his age could return something not too different than what Nash got us from Boston. I'd have a real hard time turning down a 1st, a young-ish roster player, and a good prospect for a guy who could reasonably make Kevin Hayes money on his next deal.

I'd be looking at the Central for a home - every team there is capable of paying that package, could send us termed salary back, and could probably send a roster center.

DeAngelo is a whatever trade - agreed wholeheartedly. If someone wants him, get whatever you can.

Georgiev is interesting. I think Kinkaid's waivers-taxisquad "timer" matters a lot less post-TDL with just a few weeks of the season left, and I'm tempted to agree that if a team needs that depth, trade him. I can't see Kinkaid being dealt unless a team is dead-set on him being a backup.

I'd love to see us get Jordan Greenway, but I'm thinking he'd probably be part of the fabric over there in Minny.

Buch is such an interesting proposition for us. On one hand, we're so crazy deep at wing that we can actually afford to move him - on the other, he's an all situations winger who gets little PP time as it is and is basically a PPG player...why do you move this guy? As an asset - he's not a rental. He's under team control next season too, though he's arb eligible. If the Rangers go seller or his contract demands are out of line, he shoots to the top of the list, and given his age could return something not too different than what Nash got us from Boston. I'd have a real hard time turning down a 1st, a young-ish roster player, and a good prospect for a guy who could reasonably make Kevin Hayes money on his next deal.

I'd be looking at the Central for a home - every team there is capable of paying that package, could send us termed salary back, and could probably send a roster center.

DeAngelo is a whatever trade - agreed wholeheartedly. If someone wants him, get whatever you can.

Georgiev is interesting. I think Kinkaid's waivers-taxisquad "timer" matters a lot less post-TDL with just a few weeks of the season left, and I'm tempted to agree that if a team needs that depth, trade him. I can't see Kinkaid being dealt unless a team is dead-set on him being a backup.

Arent we keeping Kinkaid because we have to have a goalie exposed to Seattle? Hence why the 2 year deal he was given.

Arent we keeping Kinkaid because we have to have a goalie exposed to Seattle? Hence why the 2 year deal he was given.

Yes, but if Kinkaid gets dealt, we could expose Georgiev. Which might not be such a big deal seeing as Chris Driedger and Braden Holtby/Jonathan Quick will almost assuredly be the goalies for the Kraken next year.

Yes, but if Kinkaid gets dealt, we could expose Georgiev. Which might not be such a big deal seeing as Chris Driedger and Braden Holtby/Jonathan Quick will almost assuredly be the goalies for the Kraken next year.

True, but its such a shit show as to what players Seattle ends up drafting. At least a few deals will be out there saying "we will trade you X if you dont draft Y " kind of thing. Then again, I dont mind if they take Georgie at this point. Probably does us a favor.

Maybe that's why the Kings aren't playing Quick. Since Cal Petersen has taken the mantle of the starting goaltender in LA, are they looking to Trade Quick or leave him exposed in the expansion draft? Some interesting questions going into next week.

True, but its such a shit show as to what players Seattle ends up drafting. At least a few deals will be out there saying "we will trade you X if you dont draft Y " kind of thing. Then again, I dont mind if they take Georgie at this point. Probably does us a favor.

Any selection they make that isn't Brett Howden is a problem, IMO. The goal of the expansion draft is "Make Brett Howden a Kraken OG"

Maybe that's why the Kings aren't playing Quick. Since Cal Petersen has taken the mantle of the starting goaltender in LA, are they looking to Trade Quick or leave him exposed in the expansion draft? Some interesting questions going into next week.

That and Cal Petersen has been phenomenal for them.

Georgiev, especially at a relatively high salary for a No.2, is not even close to the top three goalies who might get picked. Vegas took fewer goalies than expected. Moreover, unless Sheshty gets hurt, Georgiev is not going to get sufficient starts to change perceptions of him coming off a poor season.

As far as getting better value back for Georgiev, that ship sailed this past offensive. This year, his performance has been poor and now he's hardly playing at all having not appeared in a game since March 19th.

He's statistically in the top 10 WORST goalies in the league this season. Getting "value" for him would be getting anything for him. There will be no callers.

I also didnt mention Smith... some weird comments have been made by Sam and Joe recently, really talking about Smith - not for his play, but his "leadership" role. He chauffeured Kakko last season. Now, we constantly hear that he's helping Lafreniere, or Miller, or Fox.

And, with the D depth is only Bitetto, who last played in Hartford

He's statistically in the top 10 WORST goalies in the league this season. Getting "value" for him would be getting anything for him. There will be no callers.

If only we could have predicted this exact thing... oh, oh wait...

I meant to say offseason. But, yeah, his value wasn't great before, but like you said, it's just a matter of getting anything...at all. It probably won't happen. I was very disappointed in his performance. I never thought he'd be great, but this year everything is totally off with him.

I meant to say offseason. But, yeah, his value wasn't great before, but like you said, it's just a matter of getting anything...at all. It probably won't happen. I was very disappointed in his performance. I never thought he'd be great, but this year everything is totally off with him.

I think at this point we should hope Seattle takes him. He's way too expensive for what he offers.